mixture screw clockwise or counter clockwise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default mixture screw clockwise or counter clockwise?

Forget which way to adjust the idle mixture. on the ?"air screw" or "fuel screw"? forget whether its fuel or air screw

looking to add more air or decrease fuel ...

(inwards) clock wise = more fuel?
(outwards) counter = more air?

I adjusted it inwards to 1.9 turns out ... then realized I might be wrong so I I had to redo the whole thing and now I have it at 2.4 turns out. (for more air in the ratio)

Last edited by horror_fan; 04-30-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Out (counter clockwise ) is more fuel.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

It is fuel adjustment.

Usually if the screw is at the mouth of the carb it is an air adjustment - common on VM Mikuni and older two stroke carbs
When at the cylinder end it is a fuel adjustment, common on many four stroke and virtually all street model engines.
Counterclockwise opens feed, clockwise closes feed, whether air or fuel.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
It is fuel adjustment.

Usually if the screw is at the mouth of the carb it is an air adjustment - common on VM Mikuni and older two stroke carbs
When at the cylinder end it is a fuel adjustment, common on many four stroke and virtually all street model engines.
Counterclockwise opens feed, clockwise closes feed, whether air or fuel.

I found your reply to one of my old posts and you told in was more fuel and out was more air...
thanks to you I have to do it again.

"Sounds complicated, but it isn't It's just turning the idle mix screw. Too far in - too rich, too far out - too lean, meet in the middle.
"

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ed-help-45372/

Last edited by horror_fan; 04-30-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry

Originally Posted by s10gto
Out (counter clockwise ) is more fuel.

thanks I just realized that this morning when the fuel ratio gauge was reading lower than it did ...

Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horror_fan
I found your reply to one of my old posts and you told in was more fuel and out was more air...
thanks to you I have to do it again.

"Sounds complicated, but it isn't It's just turning the idle mix screw. Too far in - too rich, too far out - too lean, meet in the middle.
"

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ed-help-45372/
No thanks needed. You must not have read the post properly. I just read the post. " Turning the screw in will lean out the mix, turning it out will make it richer." Credit yourself for doing what you did.

What you missed was if you have to turn the screw in to much trying to lean it out more than is possible the pilot is too big, engine is too rich. If you have to open it up more than is possible the jetting is too lean and a bigger richer pilot is needed. You see, as you turn the needle in you are leaning it out, but if it won't run clean that means it is still too rich and needs a smaller pilot. If you turn the needle out you are richening the mix, but if it won't get rich enough the pilot is too small, too lean.
If you don't understand that, take the bike to someone who does.

Last edited by klx678; 04-30-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
No thanks needed. You must not have read the post properly. I just read the post. " Turning the screw in will lean out the mix, turning it out will make it richer." Credit yourself for doing what you did.

What you missed was if you have to turn the screw in to much trying to lean it out more than is possible the pilot is too big, engine is too rich. If you have to open it up more than is possible the jetting is too lean and a bigger richer pilot is needed. You see, as you turn the needle in you are leaning it out, but if it won't run clean that means it is still too rich and needs a smaller pilot. If you turn the needle out you are richening the mix, but if it won't get rich enough the pilot is too small, too lean.
If you don't understand that, take the bike to someone who does.
makes no sense... what the hell are you even talking about...
.... here! how about this left = more fuel , right = less fuel.

I didn't misread because there was only gibberish to read in the first place. The real problem was you were all bashing me for being some kind of noob and over explaining and adding unnecessary explanations.

Last edited by horror_fan; 04-30-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't misread because there was only gibberish to read in the first place. The real problem was you were all bashing me for being some kind of noob and over explaining and adding unnecessary explanations.

Take your bike to someone who knows how to work on it and watch them. Really. That is how I learned most of what I've done. One advantage of working in a dealership was exposure to a lot of information and visuals. Carburetion and the circuits involve fluid dynamics and I've studied and worked a bit in fluid dynamics, so it really isn't jibberish. I overestimated your readiness to learn the what and why. I apologize. I will not make that mistake again.

Last edited by klx678; 05-01-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

You should try to field your questions on thumpertalk and adventurerider websites. They are helpful as well....
Recently someone asked for the service manual online, Brewster helped out. When I did the big bore install I got lots of help pointing me to dirtsurfers post w pictures. That was a while ago. I have tried to pay forward the help I was given and I’m not the rocket scientist like these guys are

Last edited by RaceGass; 05-01-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Had to comment on this: It's really unfortunate that Horror doesn't understand how engines operate and how carburetors work, It's even more unfortunate when someone attempts to pass along useful information and then is ridiculed for not being helpful....you're welcome

Quick Reply: mixture screw clockwise or counter clockwise?