Mini Tool Box for the skid plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Mini Tool Box for the skid plate

Has anyone attached this on their skidplate? Or planning something similar?

I removed my stock tool bag when I installed my rack but I sometimes worry a fuse/battery or something else going bad and not having the tools.

BTW, I have the Ricochet bash plate and it has room for something like this to be installed. It can also be installed anywhere else but the skid plate location makes more sense.

Here's what I am talking about. The maker is sold out and they also don't have a timeline or price of the newer version.

******EDIT, more pics added*******

Name:  IMG_2748-1.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  88.2 KB
Name:  IMG_4776.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  235.7 KB
Name:  IMG_7395.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  68.9 KB

Last edited by kickerdlx; 05-17-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice idea but not advisable for me due to Rocky technical places I ride. That would not last an hour.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

i believe bill blue made a skid plate that had a built in box on the front.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikey_13
i believe bill blue made a skid plate that had a built in box on the front.
Yeah I remember seeing it but it was only for the WR250x. I did not like the designed either. It's welded really low to the skid plate (can't not be mounted higher) and it looked like an old school apartment mail box (top hinged lid with a simple latch and regular pad lock). Cost wise it would be the same as getting the two separate items.

I will say that Bill Blue Aux tank for the KLX is awesome... I have my eyes open if a used one ever comes up for sale.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

you could do a fender tool bag, or the agri-supply manual canister. I want one of the latter, but I have a problem spending more to ship something than the item costs.

You could probably remount your tool bag onto your front fender. I didn't want to do that, so I repurposed mine onto my wife's TTR125 rear fender.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with pogiboy. If I got that, it'd be smashed in about an hour.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I have been looking for something that would fit under my right side cover (above my muffler). Since I removed the behemoth stock echaust, there is now a 3"x3.5"x8" space in there just waiting to be filled.

What are the approx. measurements of that little box you have there?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Bill wasn't the welder, but I think his friend Bake - a member here - who made the bash plate with box and aux tank.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 05-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

i would be worried that the first sidewalk i go down....*smack@#$*...there goes the tool box and tools...hahaha....

today, i'm installing some fuel bottle holders using water bottle holders for a bicycle...hope it works....i'm getting tired of carrying a backpack filled with fuel for my long rides....well..last weekend, i was able to bungee cord two fuel bottles to the top of my rear fender...

Old 05-17-2012, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I have been looking for something that would fit under my right side cover (above my muffler). Since I removed the behemoth stock echaust, there is now a 3"x3.5"x8" space in there just waiting to be filled.

What are the approx. measurements of that little box you have there?
Right, just updated the post with other pictures since it can be mounted almost anywhere. The one pictured is about 11.5"wide X 4.75" tall X 3" deep... too big for the space you want but it should be a little slimmer than the engine and fit right below the horn on the skid plate

Again, the manufacturer is Sold Out (price was around 130) and is in the process of creating a new version. No date or no new specs announced so it could be bigger or smaller.

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I'm with pogiboy. If I got that, it'd be smashed in about an hour.
Looking at you avatar i do believe you

Originally Posted by mikesova
you could do a fender tool bag, or the agri-supply manual canister. I want one of the latter, but I have a problem spending more to ship something than the item costs.

You could probably remount your tool bag onto your front fender. I didn't want to do that, so I repurposed mine onto my wife's TTR125 rear fender.
The lockable feature is the key especially since it's a city bike for now. I do have a fender bag for my non street legal/trail bike

Quick Reply: Mini Tool Box for the skid plate