The million $$ question.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member
Default The million $$ question.....

I mentioned this in my thread "Chopping Rear Fender Question" post however I thought I'd like to get more input from everyone........

as I chopped off my rear fender reflector (for practice of future cuts) and was looking at the reflectors on the plate holder, I'm curious to find out if it is legal or not to ride on the street without rear fender reflectors. My numerous google searches have come up empty and I even called my dealer and they had no answer......

Has anyone ever been pulled over for not having rear reflectors? I currently have my MP license and will be taking the road test (what a joke) when the weather turns for the better and I don't want to take an illegal bike to the test....

I already know in PA thanks to TomN that it is required.......however I highly doubt I'll ever have my bike PA.

RJ

Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

yes, it required. yes, i have removed mine. no, i have never been pulled over or cited for it.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:41 AM

Yes you do.

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-24

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2009 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2009 Regular Session ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 2. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-24 (2009)

§ 40-8-24. Reflectors

(a) Every motor vehicle manufactured after March 12, 1954, and operated upon a highway, other than a truck tractor, motorcycle, or motor driven cycle, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors, and every motorcycle and every motor driven cycle shall carry on the rear at least one red reflector, meeting the requirements of this Code section.

(b) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21 and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to 50 feet from the rear of such vehicle except that visibility from the greater distance is hereinafter required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.

(c) When operated, towed, or parked upon a highway, roadway, or street at any time, every trailer and semitrailer which would otherwise be exempt from this article as an implement of husbandry under Code Section 40-8-1 shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the taillights or separately, two red reflectors and shall carry on the front two red reflectors. The reflectors carried on the rear shall meet the requirements of subsection (b) of this Code section. The reflectors carried on the front of such trailer or semitrailer shall be mounted thereon at a height of not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21 and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 feet to 50 feet from the front of such trailer or semitrailer.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 107; Code 1933, § 68E-205, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-24, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10; Ga. L. 1989, p. 298, § 2.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member

Thanks Oakley.....I searched for this and couldn't find it.

If I read this correctly it's okay for me to remove the bottom reflector however if I have the two that hold the license plate and the the side ones it should be legal. So I should be able to cut the fender up a little more as long as I have the required reflectors in place.

RJ

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I read all the rules before takeing my written test in Guam and as far as I can tell they are not required, However what is required is lighting for the licensplate! Also apehangers are illeagle.
Cheers Jim

Old 02-24-2010, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
yes, it required. yes, i have removed mine. no, i have never been pulled over or cited for it.
Thats how it is here.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Same here

Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Guys guys guys..........come on now. Your asking a question to international users on something that is state/locally controlled.

Check state and local laws. In your case, looks like Atlanta, Georgia.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Guys guys guys..........come on now. Your asking a question to international users on something that is state/locally controlled.
Jason, thats enough common sense if you don't mind.

This is the interwebby where opinion is everything and the facts? well they're not so important.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Knock on wood! I haven't been pulled over yet on my klx, and I run thru town covered in mud (cant even tell if i have a tag, turn signals, or brake light)

Quick Reply: The million $$ question.....