Member status, and stars

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Member status, and stars

Wow Tony, those are some organized pictures. Two things I noticed right away. The first one was that a lot of the riders are on bigger bikes that look like road only, but its cool to see them doing it all. And second I like the way everyone helps each other through the tough spots. It look like fun.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

After seeing the broken handguard, maybe I should re-consider the solid ones. But how do you get them in with the handlebar plug in there? I don't really want to change bars out.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

About the handlebar plugs... I used my drumel and ground them out. I just intalled the acerbis rally sport handguard with the lights in them.. they look great. I will take a picture when I get home from work and post if for you. It took alittle modification of the handguard on the throttle side but they look great. However, I did notice that the turn signal light blink interval did change. The normal is kinda slow and steady well when you intall these new handguards the turn signal flash kinda fast. Kinda European if you ask me.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Handguards with lights in them? I didn't know they made them. Hey speaking of handguards, are there any out there that I could get that would not require me to cut anything or mod the bike in any way except taking out the plug? I don't want to cut into the bike or change it too much.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I spent about an hour drilling that damn plug on the left side with my big-a$$ drill and a new bit. No joy.

Since I wanted more handlebar height anyway, I went with Renthal bars. I can't recommend these strongly enough! Given that one KLX owner has already snapped the cheapo OEM bars clean off, I'd seriously consider upgrading to a quality alum bar ASAP. Makes fitting bark buster-style handguards a snap.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey here are a set or handguards with the lights in them I'm thinking about but I don't know yet. Hey Todd what is the Part number or size of the bars you used?

http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/1326.html

Old 01-12-2006, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej, I put hand gaurds on mine without a problem there is 2 ways you can do it.#1tap out the hole that is in the plugs with a 6mm tap cut down the pinch wedge that come with the gaurds to be used as spacers,or #2 drill out the plugs with a 17/64 drill bit and a 5/16-18 tap go down to the harware store and get some aluminum spacers(they pre drilled and in the pick a nut section)use 5/16-18 1-3/4 inch long tappered shoulder bolts and tighten down, this what is what i have done. That way i have the wedges for when i do replace the bars(bend,break). Hope this helps.

Scott
Everett WA
06 KLX250s

Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Deric,

I'm going to reply to your handlebar questions over in the Mods thread.

Todd

Old 01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

After seeing the broken handguard, maybe I should re-consider the solid ones. But how do you get them in with the handlebar plug in there? I don't really want to change bars out.
Scat and I did the same type install. Just tap out the plugs to 6mm. I had to cut off a 1/4" of the bolt too.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I had a chat to the local dealer today the plugs are held in with spot welds but you cant get them out, so they just thump them in

Quick Reply: Member status, and stars