megabomb header melting airbox issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default megabomb header melting airbox issue

Alright.. so on my old 09 the Megabomb header melted my airbox, now that I have a new stock KLX, I don't want to run into the same issue. What have you guys done to get that thing away form the airbox? cant figure out why mine hugs it so closely.. i bent my passenger back and everything but still couldnt get it away from it.. any advice?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

assuming it's not an exhaust leak there? if you can't loosen and rotate it away or bend in out by shimming the muffler mounting you might have to make a heat shield, Also might do something with the rad hoses?

Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

hmm...installed the megabomb today and i don't see the header pipe even coming close...the slip-on pipe connects and that pipe only one the appears close to the airbox...unless the heat from the megabomb is increasing the overall temp of the exhaust pipe and muffler....hmmm....i'll keep a close eye on mine...i may just wrap the the entire header and muffler pipe....can't believe my pants started melting so quickly...not sure if the heatshield is going to be enough...

Old 08-26-2012, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah maybe on the slip-on side,can't remember. but no, y ouc ant really rotate it out of the way, and pipe wrap ruins your stuff over time.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

the slip joint may be leaking and blowing hot fumes back at the box?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

no.. the pipe is just way too close.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I placed a couple of washers on tge bolt holding the pipe to the frame to displace it further out. No more melting for me

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

the airbox is located right behind the joint...i might add some washers too...i didn't get chance to test the heatshield and pants...this megabomb gives a new character to the klx250, but super HOT....

Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

As you can see my air box got melted BUT now with the extension brackets fitted, whole exhaust system is lowered by 3/4"inch & far enough away from airbox now.

Two extender brackets in picture below, easy to make & lower exhaust:

Why this company can't make products that fit properly is a pain in the a$$.....

Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like the slip on and not the header that is causing the melt. I think it's an installation issue as in looking at the pics above my triangle brace by the rear peg is bent out alot more than the one in the pic. This is in the instructions and I was suprised at how much it was required to bend it out but it looks fine afterwards. Also I have the powerbomb but mine isn't close enough to melt anything.

Quick Reply: megabomb header melting airbox issue