Mean Green Commutin' Machine

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Default Mean Green Commutin' Machine

Well, I know sullydirt and others have posted pics before of their bags, but I thought I would throw up some pics of my newly modified commuter. Enjoy -- or be disgusted. It's all good.

Shot w/ Helmet - can't see the windshield very well here.
Name:  IMG_8341.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  30.9 KB

Right side view
Name:  Commutershot-rightfrontangle.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  32.8 KB

Front view
Name:  IMG_8362.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  31.4 KB

Left side view
Name:  IMG_8360.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  35.5 KB

Closeup of bags, Pelican 1400 and helmet
Name:  IMG_8361.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  19.3 KB

Old 09-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mean Green Commutin' Machine

looks good, looks like those bags would get in the way for me....

Old 09-21-2006, 06:58 PM

Enjoyed! [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

+1 (I just recently learned that +1 means I agree) LOL. The bags look awesome, linky please. How much for the bags and where are they.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Man the more I look at the windshield the more I like it.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

but deej just imagine how hard it would be to keep clean, those damn bugs always hitting it, then water spots from rain.... lol....

Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: deej

Man the more I look at the windshield the more I like it.

Okay deej, we'll send you a link for the windshield if you send us a link to what you would use to clean it.

You are our guru of clean!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Looks great! How many miles do you commute? I recently installed a gel pad underneath memory foam in my seat and based on my limited testing of it before my injury it seems to work very well w/regard to comfort on extended road rides.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: deej

+1 (I just recently learned that +1 means I agree) LOL. The bags look awesome, linky please. How much for the bags and where are they.
Deej, they are called Cortech Sport Saddlebags and they are available all over the place on the net. I saw a post from sullydirt where he got his from www.motodepot.com, I think. He said he paid about $130 for his. I just happened to pick mine up from the Kawa dealer the day I bought my bike because he gave me 15% off anything I got that day. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but I think it was way less than that, something like $80 or something. I just did a quick web search and the best price I saw was about $116. I hope I did not inadvertently pay that much, but even if I did, I am very happy with them. They are extremely stable. I don't even clip them on. They just rest on the seat and the side panels.

I have been thinking about rigging up a standoff for the Muzzy underneath the right side panel to keep the panel from getting pushed into the pipe from a heavy saddlebag load. So far I have not had any problem, though. I have loaded the bags down pretty good on a few occassions with no problems.

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Looks great! How many miles do you commute? I recently installed a gel pad underneath memory foam in my seat and based on my limited testing of it before my injury it seems to work very well w/regard to comfort on extended road rides.
Brian, I just have a 4 mile commute each way. I saw your thread on your gel pad installation and I have thought about doing something similar. I agree with the one poster (I forget who it was) that said you must have nerves of steel to cut into your seat foam. I think it is a good idea, though, if you have a long commute at all. At first I did not think the seat was all that stiff, but since I tightened up my suspension, I definitely feel it in the seat of my pants after a little while. My normal commute is fine. I do get a little saddle sore on longer jaunts, though.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
Brian, I just have a 4 mile commute each way. I saw your thread on your gel pad installation and I have thought about doing something similar. I agree with the one poster (I forget who it was) that said you must have nerves of steel to cut into your seat foam. I think it is a good idea, though, if you have a long commute at all. At first I did not think the seat was all that stiff, but since I tightened up my suspension, I definitely feel it in the seat of my pants after a little while. My normal commute is fine. I do get a little saddle sore on longer jaunts, though.
My commute is about 15 miles and that's not really enough to start bothering me either. It's the longer weekend rides where I found comfort lacking in the stock seat. I never did have a problem with seat comfort when riding purely off road, just on pavement.

I am definitely not timid about making mods - most mods at least. I figure I'm handy enough to fix anything I break, though, and I have validated that theory on more than one occasion I must admit.

Quick Reply: Mean Green Commutin' Machine