Max weight on rear rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Max weight on rear rack?

I'm curious to what racks you guys are using and the maximum load you've put on it. I've been reading about how the sub frame had cracked for some, but does this apply to the 09 models as well?

Seems to me that the Cycleracks rack is the most popular. In fact, I emailed them asking if a 50-60lbs load would be OK on the rack in which they said would be fine. I was curious if anyone had any first hand experience with the rack, or any other rack for that matter with a heavy load?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the rack I have is the Nomad rack. I have had a case of bottled beer on it several times without issue. Have not had the need to test it more than that.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm no engineer, but I find it hard to believe that the extreme end of the rear subframe of any year KLX is going to hold up to 50-60 pound loads. And if by some stretch of the imagination it could, I'd bet you wouldn't even be able to go down a dirt road with any additional vibration for very long.

Here's another issue...how does having 1/6 of what the motorcycle weighs sitting back on a rear rack affect handling? I see people comparing having a passenger to carrying gear on the rack. That just isn't a valid comparison. The passenger is much more positioned onto the triangulated part of the frame along with the support of the passenger footpegs. Stuff on the rack is pretty much outside the triangulation. People who take care to push as much of the weight forward to the seat area and/or use bag systems within the triangulation portion of the frame can get away with more.

It's been interesting to see...especially on the ADV site...how many people are trying to load up the little KLX like a Goldwing. I understand it a bit. We all want the best of both worlds...having the lightest, most nimble bike possible with the ability to carry travel trailer amounts of gear. But reality has to kick in at some point. Maybe some have just pursued the wrong bike in the KLX and should perhaps be on 650 dualsport or such. I've come from Goldwings and KLR650's to the KLX to get away from just such behemoths.

I camp wherever I go, but I do it in a van with many luxury items and comfortable sleeping quarters. I haven't figured out a way to carry my van on my KLX yet...LOL!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.

I was also skeptical about the cycleracks being to hold that much weight as I've reading about the fairly weak subframe. The reason I ask is, I would love to carry a bicycle on the KLX to get to a trailhead that's about 15 miles away, though, it looks like many of the bikes that actually haul bicycles are big bikes like the BMW GS series..

Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JHNguyen89
Thanks for the replies.

I was also skeptical about the cycleracks being to hold that much weight as I've reading about the fairly weak subframe. The reason I ask is, I would love to carry a bicycle on the KLX to get to a trailhead that's about 15 miles away, though, it looks like many of the bikes that actually haul bicycles are big bikes like the BMW GS series..
A friend bought my '88 KLR650 years ago and installed a homemade rack to carry his 27 pound Cannondale MTB. It worked quite well, and he never had an issue. I had already modded the subframe bolts with larger drilled-out versions which are known to strengthen the KLR's carrying ability. The KLR650 has one of the strongest carrying capacities that I'm aware of, but people still break them occasionally.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I haven't figured out a way to carry my van on my KLX yet...LOL!
Sounds like another project for Dan....where are you Dan?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I think the rack I have is the Nomad rack. I have had a case of bottled beer on it several times without issue. Have not had the need to test it more than that.
A case of bottled beer? Do they even sell those anymore? A case is 24 beers by the way and the size of that case would be comical on the KLX. Perhaps you meant a half case, a 12 pack which is how most bottled beer is sold in my area other than 6 packs.

Mmmm, beer.

Last edited by Highbeam; 06-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking of a cycleracks rack at first, but found a Giant Loop Coyote bag which puts the weight more where the passenger would go, in the "triangular area" TNC speaks of, and keeps the weight low. So, I think I'll beef up the existing subframe and mount a plate ala Redpillar https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ubframe-31314/
Combined, the Coyote bag and a little more support on the subframe should be adequate for my touring plans. I loaded the Coyote up with water jugs earlier this year and went on some trails. It wasn't so easy carrying an extra 30 pounds or so back there on tough trails...the water bottles were emptied part way through the ride .

Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I was thinking of a cycleracks rack at first, but found a Giant Loop Coyote bag which puts the weight more where the passenger would go, in the "triangular area" TNC speaks of, and keeps the weight low. So, I think I'll beef up the existing subframe and mount a plate ala Redpillar https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ubframe-31314/
Combined, the Coyote bag and a little more support on the subframe should be adequate for my touring plans. I loaded the Coyote up with water jugs earlier this year and went on some trails. It wasn't so easy carrying an extra 30 pounds or so back there on tough trails...the water bottles were emptied part way through the ride .
I don't know...big, heavy loads at the rear of the bike may fix all the complaints about the KLX not being able to wheelie very easily...LOL!

On your mention of Dan and my van...I can hardly wait...LOL!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't know...big, heavy loads at the rear of the bike may fix all the complaints about the KLX not being able to wheelie very easily...LOL!
Not recommended...

Max weight on rear rack?-heavy-load-bike.jpg

Quick Reply: Max weight on rear rack?