Luggage rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Luggage rack

The first frackle I will do on my new 2009 KLX250s is to add a luggage rack.
The 4 racks I have found so far are:
Nomadic - Too small
Cyclerack - Too large (Also don't like the looks)
Borrego - May work $120.00
Moose - May work $130.00

I could not find the dimentions on the Moose Expedition rack. Could someone measure theirs and let me know?
Can anyone tell me which rack (Borrego or Moose Expedition) is stronger/will haul more gear?
Also, am I missing an option? I was hoping to pay under $100.00.
Thanks
Craig

Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.bandbmoto.com/Page_3.php

B and B make a luggage plate for $60. Don't know if it will fit your '09.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Borrego rack on my 09SF. I like it, seems really sturdy. I'm not an off road kinda guy, so I won't be loading it up. I'm sure TCI has load limits on their website somewhere.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I hAve a brand new nomadic rack the I didn't like, you can have it if you want, pm me if yer interested, it is acctually bigger than it looks, which is why I didn't like it.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Cycleracks version on mine. I also thought it was ugly at first, but it's good to know you can pack out an elk if you want to.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I have the Cycleracks version on mine. I also thought it was ugly at first, but it's good to know you can pack out an elk if you want to.
Ya, it may look ugly, but it also looks sturdy! CM - have you done any beefing up on the subframe for cyclerack install? Also, has anyone tried on a Giant Loop Coyote bag with a cyclerack - any issues? Cycleracks is right here in my hometown, just a few miles away so I'm seriously thinking of them. I'm looking forward to a few several day camping trips this summer.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Cyclerack on my '09. The way it is designed it beefs up the subframe. I think the Giant Loop bags are designed for bikes without rear racks and would sit strangely on the Cyclerack.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
I have the Cyclerack on my '09. The way it is designed it beefs up the subframe. I think the Giant Loop bags are designed for bikes without rear racks and would sit strangely on the Cyclerack.
Thanks. How do you like it? How easy to install and remove (if needed)?

I have the Coyote and it sits on the back of the seat, not on the rack, taking up some of the rear passenger seat space. It works just fine with the stock '06 rack and tool bag. But that Cyclerack is just a little different...therefore the question.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I put my Nomadic rack on just now. You have to use the side plastics with it. I kinda like riding without the side plastics. Oh well. It's bigger than it looks on fleabay. It should work just fine.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Thanks. How do you like it? How easy to install and remove (if needed)?

I have the Coyote and it sits on the back of the seat, not on the rack, taking up some of the rear passenger seat space. It works just fine with the stock '06 rack and tool bag. But that Cyclerack is just a little different...therefore the question.
Easy enough to install, haven't removed it (probably easier). I did have to get some longer bolts for where it fastens at the (former) tool bag holes. The way it's made it sits a little bit up at the rear fasteners so it's actually putting very slight up pressure on the rear of the subframe when there is no load on the Cyclerack. This would neutralize with a load I suppose. I like the way it protects the rear signals/plastics when the bike decides to "nap". Gives me a good place to grip setting it up again. I've never had a passenger so I don't know how it would be for that. She might have to hold her feet a bit toed-in on the pegs, but would have some good handholds at the sides. I store my bike in the basement over winter and this rack really helps with the wrestling I have to do getting it in/out. Narrow walkway, rock wall. 90 degree turn to narrow door but only one round trip per year.
Pic of the bike at the link.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...1&d=1263680193

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 03-01-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: better link

Quick Reply: Luggage rack