Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Lowering my KLX250. (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/lowering-my-klx250-41516/)

fenderworks2 02-12-2014 02:08 AM

i have a pair of kouba lowering links (model klx4, I think) and a already cut/lowered kickstand, that I would probably sell to you. lowers the klx250s about 2 inches. I am now back to stock. let me know

Zagar230 02-12-2014 03:38 AM

Hmm, I def don't wanna drop it to low for my weight and ruin my chains. I just wanna get it a bit lower. So, if 1 inch is all I can really do to drop it then, I guess I can do that. But, I was also thinking of getting a Coshing cover for my seat cuz, my has goes numb after 2-3 hours of riding lol.

mtnman 02-12-2014 02:13 PM

I was kinda disappointed when i got my klx 4 months ago about how high it was, I'm 5'11 240. It wasn't the actual height but the way you have to swing your leg over it to get on it from the ground. Then I had an epiphany, I thought there has to be an easier way to get on and i thought about riding my horses. Now i put left foot on the left peg while kickstand is down stand up and swing the other leg over just like you mount a horse, issue gone, height doesn't matter anymore. A simple thing if you havent thought about it before, and free

RaceGass 02-12-2014 04:58 PM

You might want to read up on how weak the kick stand tab on the frame is welded on. Kick stand tab 1/4" plate welded to that swing arm pivot 1/8" material. There's pics of the welded metal separating... Punkenduro and one other iirc

turnsleft 02-13-2014 02:06 AM

28" inseam:o I have a Kouba KLX4 links and the forks up 5/8" to the bottom of the cap. Like the way the bike handles.

My kick stand all fixed after it was bounced off a few rocks and such.:rolleyes:

http://turnsleft.smugmug.com/Other/2...IMG_1260-L.jpg

mtnman 02-13-2014 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by RaceGass (Post 506239)
You might want to read up on how weak the kick stand tab on the frame is welded on. Kick stand tab 1/4" plate welded to that swing arm pivot 1/8" material. There's pics of the welded metal separating... Punkenduro and one other iirc

the suspension is taking all the weight, the kickstand is just used for balance when you put your foot on the left stirrup(foot peg)

klx678 02-13-2014 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zagar230 (Post 506212)
Hmm, I def don't wanna drop it to low for my weight and ruin my chains. I just wanna get it a bit lower. So, if 1 inch is all I can really do to drop it then, I guess I can do that. But, I was also thinking of getting a Coshing cover for my seat cuz, my has goes numb after 2-3 hours of riding lol.

What? You won't ruin your chain unless you are overtightening it on adjustment and then you'll ruin it regardless. With a properly adjusted chain there is no relationship between how high or low the bike is and chain wear.

klx678 02-13-2014 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RaceGass (Post 506239)

I've used this method on my KLX650 with a similar frame design to the 250 and a lot of other bikes over the decades, learning to do this when in motorcycle sales. It allows you to get on a bike without kicking the seat as you swing your foot over the bike and it also allows you to lift your foot over the seat on bikes with hard saddlebags so as not to scuff the bag lids.

I really doubt there is much issue with the side stand mount since it is probably very similar to that of the KLX300 frame and they use a kick starter - I guarantee you most will kick start their bike on the side stand.

The post about weight distribution is true as well, the weight is split between the two, tires and stand. Plus the fact that the weight is not in a bending direction to the tab as welded on the frame. So the concern is minimal at best.

Now if you use the side stand to pivot the bike around in a tight space you could be putting some serious weight on it. Fact is you probably put more stress on the stand by just sitting on the bike, because when this method is used for mounting the rider will likely have their feet on the ground in a few seconds, making for less stress for a shorter time. I step up on the bike and am on the seat feet on the ground in about 2 seconds after I get on the bike.

RaceGass 02-14-2014 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ymmv...

My wife all 120+ lbs of her bent her kickstand frame tab just by sitting on the bike. Punkenduro did put a lot of miles on his 250... Take a look https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e-25055/page6/

Attachment 9779

duncanblake 02-14-2014 02:05 AM

Had John @ MotoPro shorten my suspension 2 inches. He re valved and re sprung it for the roads and speeds that I ride hardest. I love it, everywhere. Not cheap and worth every penny. Thank You John. You Nailed It.