Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Lowering

No worries on this end either- I'm the first to admit I made a mistake, but only if I'm the first to realize I made a mistake. (More often than not, I'm the second or third to come to that conclusion! )

Old 03-01-2007, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I lowered my bike with Norm Kouba's KLX3 links (1.125").

I also raised the front forks up to the handlebars, about 0.5" My concern is I'm not sure if I raised the front forks enough? I've read warnings about screwing up the geometry which might make the bike unsafe. I'm considering getting handlebar risers. Any suggestions?

I'm 5'8" and I was tippy-toes on a flat surface. Now, I almost flat-footed.

I've also hackedan inch offof the kickstand and am getting the foot welded back on tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:02 PM

I am aware of 3 options for handlebar risers, 2 on Ebay and 1 on rockymountainatv.com. Without belaboring the point, let me just recommend that you get the ones from rockymountainatv. They are cheaper than either of the Ebay options, and they are more versatile. They are configured in a modular way so that you can use a couple of different plates to change how much you raise the bars. The sets from Ebay are single piece 1" risers.

I have the cheaper set from Ebay and they are great. The only downside at all is that the bottom of the risers does not fill in the halfmoon left from the original mount position where the handlebar should be. It just goes straight across. As far as I can see, that is the only difference between mine and the more expensive sets on Ebay ($35 versus about $75). I got mine before I knew about the Tusk product available at rockymountain. The Tusk risers fill in the halfmoon and are customizable like I said. They are also only about $20.

Another victory for the Tusk line of products from rockymountainatv.com.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 AM

Installing said links?

I was trying to help a friend install his lowering links and we got stuck. Anyone have some tips? We removed right side dog bone with no problem but just couldn't seem to ger the left side, with the bolts, to come off.
Also is it hard to get it all hooked back up proper as it looks like the rear spring might make it b!tch.
Last one, I promise, any torque specs for these guys?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

They are tricky, the bolts are difficult to get out because they hit on the chain and other things. You need to support the swingarm somehow, I put a brick under my rear tyre and of course the bike is onit's stand. When putting the new ones on it's fiddly to get the RHSlinks on and the nuts. Just giggle it round (a helper would be handy if you have one) and be patient. Make sure the links are on the shafts properly before tightning the nuts.
This is out of the manual

Tie-Rod Removal
Using the jack under the frame, raise the rear wheel off the ground.
Remove the tie-rod front mounting bolt
Caution!!
When pulling out the mounting bolts, lift the rear wheel slightly. Forcing or tapping on a boly could damage the bolt, sleeve, and bearing.
Remove the tie-rod mounting bolt (rear) and then take out the tie-rods.

Tie-Rod Installtion Notes
Apply plenty of molybdenum disulfide grease to the inside of the needle bearings and oil seals.
Torque the tie-rod front and rear mounting nuts.
Torque - Tie-Rod Mounting Nuts : 81 N-m (8.3 kg-m, 60 ft-lb)
Finish

Good luck

[8D]

Old 10-05-2007, 07:24 PM

That's what I needed to know! Thanks

Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

My pleasure
[8D]

Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

mmmm Too me this thread is "land of the giants"
I'm 5'4".
I read some where that 5'4" is the average hight of a woman. mmmm Not sure I should have mentioned that.

I have my bike lowered around 1/2" by raising the forks and adjusting the rear preload to keep the steering geometry nuetral.

You get used to it and sliding a bum cheek off the seat when stopping becomes second nature.
It's still on the tall side and I often fall over in situations that are comical.
Much to the amusement of the people I ride with.

Rules for dwarfs on dirt bikes.

1. Be constantly on the alert for a rock or a log to stop next to.
2. It is perfectly acceptable to rest your foot on your mates bike when stopped.
3. Hills are fraught with danger.
4. Muddy creek crossings are fraught with danger.
5. Being "in" the rut may be a good thing.
6. Be thick skinned. You "will" fall off and people "will" laugh.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

If this forum had nominations for Post of the Week, this would get my vote

ORIGINAL: neilaction

mmmm Too me this thread is "land of the giants"
I'm 5'4".
I read some where that 5'4" is the average hight of a woman. mmmm Not sure I should have mentioned that.

I have my bike lowered around 1/2" by raising the forks and adjusting the rear preload to keep the steering geometry nuetral.

You get used to it and sliding a bum cheek off the seat when stopping becomes second nature.
It's still on the tall side and I often fall over in situations that are comical.
Much to the amusement of the people I ride with.

Rules for dwarfs on dirt bikes.

1. Be constantly on the alert for a rock or a log to stop next to.
2. It is perfectly acceptable to rest your foot on your mates bike when stopped.
3. Hills are fraught with danger.
4. Muddy creek crossings are fraught with danger.
5. Being "in" the rut may be a good thing.
6. Be thick skinned. You "will" fall off and people "will" laugh.

Quick Reply: Lowering