Looky at what came today ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Looky at what came today ...

It's beautiful!

Looks like the carb output barrel has had some work done to it, perhaps even replaced. I'm guessing this is what Jerry does to make these fit into the KLX300/KLX250S boots and frame areas.

Unlike on the CV carb, there is no butterfly. The piece you see inside moves directly with the throttle cable pull. On the CV, the throttle opens the butterfly which creates the vacuum, which then lifts the slide. On the FCR, the whole thing is tied directly to the throttle cable. That's where some of the fast throttle response comes from - it gives whatever you command, not what the vacuum level determines.

I can't wait to try it out. But alas, I'm only 1 week in to a 2 week wait for my cylinder parts to arrive. I reckon I'll be installing both at the same time. I'm curious as to what each mod (carb & 330cc big bore) does on its own, but not curious enough to put the CV carb on instead of this one for testing the 330cc by itself. Besides, based on my experience with the 300cc, I'm pretty sure I know what the 330cc is going to do.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Looky at what came today ...

Finally eh! Can't wait to hear your results...
I'm still waiting on FSW myself (for a refund cheque from my ill-fitting shift star that I sent back). [&o]

Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Finally eh! Can't wait to hear your results...
I'm still waiting on FSW myself (for a refund cheque from my ill-fitting shift star that I sent back). [&o]
Man that sux - I really wish there was better communication there. If so, I would have done the 330cc upgrade through him.

Well, as best I can tell it looks like the carb will fit, but there might be a little interference with the cross frame support and the throttle cable mount. Based on photos of this carb, Jerry has already done some work on the throttle pull mount to make it fit, and I see discussion of that being needed over on planetklx.com for the KLX300. I'm pretty sure the KLX250S and KLX300 frames are very close if not quite identical, so hopefully this will go in without too much effort.

Note that you lose the throttle push cable with this setup. I don't think that is a problem, though I guess if your pull cable ever got stuck, you better have your thumb ready on the kill switch!

Old 10-13-2006, 01:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I can't wait to try it out. But alas, I'm only 1 week in to a 2 week wait for my cylinder parts to arrive. I reckon I'll be installing both at the same time. I'm curious as to what each mod (carb & 330cc big bore) does on its own, but not curious enough to put the CV carb on instead of this one for testing the 330cc by itself. Besides, based on my experience with the 300cc, I'm pretty sure I know what the 330cc is going to do.
Brian,

Hey, what are friends for?

Just send the carb down this way and I'll work out the bugs for you.

Then when you get the bike back up and running, your carb will not cause a problem.

Besides, you do want to run a "BEFORE" and "AFTER" test session after the 330 kit install!

Old 10-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

What a guy, such a giver ...

Old 10-13-2006, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey nobrakes,

That carb looks great, Ill be waiting for your report, i think this will be my next mod, but lots of money over here in oz $1000.00 approx so i,m not rushing
cheers hatto

Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet looking carb you have there Brian.[sm=bling.gif]

Are you sure I can't twist your arm into trying the carb and big bore kit independently?
Your opinions on there individual merit would be of value.

It will add to the work load so I can't blame you for doing it all together.
(I would probably do the same)

I can't wait for the results.

Cheers

Old 10-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It may take a little effort to fit it, and if I get the big bore all done and am struggling with fitting the carb, chances are good that I will put the old carb back on and enjoy the 330 kit while I figure out the carb fitment.

The only issue I can see on the carb is that the throttle cable bracket looks like it might interfere with the frame cross support. But I won't know for sure until I get the cylinder and head back on and see how everything lines up. If all it takes is a little grinding of the throttle bracket, I'll do that. But if it looks like I might be a while fabricating something, then back on goes the CVK. So if that happens, you'll get your report. But I hope you don't.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

It may take a little effort to fit it, and if I get the big bore all done and am struggling with fitting the carb, chances are good that I will put the old carb back on and enjoy the 330 kit while I figure out the carb fitment.

The only issue I can see on the carb is that the throttle cable bracket looks like it might interfere with the frame cross support. But I won't know for sure until I get the cylinder and head back on and see how everything lines up. If all it takes is a little grinding of the throttle bracket, I'll do that. But if it looks like I might be a while fabricating something, then back on goes the CVK. So if that happens, you'll get your report. But I hope you don't.
You shouldn't have any problems with fitment. I do think you will have some jetting issues though, the FCR is extremely finicky to set up, but once you get it right, you will love your new wheelie machine! I highly suggest you take this down time to do the taffy mod, as well as take the thing apart to check it out and see what jets you have in it. Very good decision on the FCR!!!
Here is a link about the FCR on a klx with some great info, including info on the taffy mod.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...highlight=fork

Old 10-13-2006, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Brian that carb sure is nice you will have some yuneing to do now
I'm still down in WV cold here I'll be home sunday ........

Quick Reply: Looky at what came today ...