Looking for used Tachometer / Tachometer fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 12:30 AM
Default Looking for used Tachometer / Tachometer fix?

Hello. First-time rider, and first time KLX250s owner. Anyone have a used tach they wouldn't mind parting with?

I bought an '06 in seemingly great condition for a great deal. After bringing it home, I realized the tachometer was way off... not sure how I missed that, but for the price, I think I would have still bought it. With the key turned off, the tach read approximately 6.5k. Turned on, it seemed to increase in revs as I would expect, except 6.5k higher than it should. For example, if I was cruising at 4k actual, it would read 10.5k.

I disconnected the battery, still the same reading. I took off the instrument cluster and disconnected the unit from the harness, still the same reading. My conclusion was that the tach was bad.

Inspecting the back and inside of the tach, I did not see any screw for adjustment. Following questionable advice, and figuring I had nothing to lose, I removed the front face of the instrument panel to access the tach dial and proceeded to delicately push the indicator to the zero position. I could feel light clicking doing so, and after this, the indicator remained at the zero position. Success?

I took the bike out on the road for a test and discovered my "fix" was not good. I'm not familiar with the bike yet, but it sounded as if it was near the redline, yet the gauge will only go to 5k. Half the actual redline.

Sorry for the long story. If you have any suggestions, I'm willing to take it apart again and try something else. If the tach is trashed, I'd be interested in any unused tach you might have laying around. Thanks!

P.S. I've found a couple of used instrument clusters on eBay for $76 and up, but I don't need the entire cluster, and I'm hoping I can find just the tach for cheaper.