Looking for tools - for at home and the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Looking for tools - for at home and the road

I've managed to strip the socket on my crappy walmart socket set.

I'd like to pick up a metric tool set that would take care of most repairs. I don't plan on taking the motor or transmission apart, but I find myself struggling with the crappy Walmart tool set.

I know there is a torque range chart for our bike. Is there a bolt/but size chart? I'd want to make sure I get a kit that covers all sizes.

I'm also curious about replacing the mini tool set that came with the bike. I'd want to place it on the front fender and leave room in the back for luggage. I'm entertaining the idea of a long trip, and I'd want to be able to do repairs on the road. I'm a total bike newbie so I have no idea what I'd need.

EDIT: http://www.trailtoolz.com/products.html
They seem decent?

http://dirt-bike-gear.com/tool_recommendations.html
A good resource for others looking for on the road tools.

Last edited by je2000; 10-07-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you would have a hard time finding a sparkplug tool to replace the cheesy kawi one. you could replace the wrenches etc with others but they would probably be heavier. Tire spoons would be a good addition.
As far as a socket set goes, Craftsman makes nice tool sets for a reasonable price. You can ALWAYS find tools at pawn shops, for really cheap because they are so common.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Check Motion Pro they have some good tools for the tool pack

Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I want to caution you about mounting ANYTHING on the front fender. . . . this will probably NOT affect road-riding BUT if you ride off-road in golfball to softball-sized rocks, when the front wheel is deflected from side to side, it tends to keep going in whichever direction it is headed due to the extra kinetic energy that the toolpouch imparts to it through the fender. I am NOT kidding about this! I mounted a toolpouch 2 lbs. 9 oz. in weight on my front fender and it was VERY difficult to control the front wheel when riding on the above described surfaces. DON'T DO AS I DID!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Magoo
I want to caution you about mounting ANYTHING on the front fender. . . . this will probably NOT affect road-riding BUT if you ride off-road in golfball to softball-sized rocks, when the front wheel is deflected from side to side, it tends to keep going in whichever direction it is headed due to the extra kinetic energy that the toolpouch imparts to it through the fender. I am NOT kidding about this! I mounted a toolpouch 2 lbs. 9 oz. in weight on my front fender and it was VERY difficult to control the front wheel when riding on the above described surfaces. DON'T DO AS I DID!
Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

1/4" deep sockets should set you up well. An 8" extension and a T-bar to fit the end is all I really use. 8mm and 10mm are the most common. The whole sets are usually a waste of money as they usually come with both metric and imperial sockets (you only need metric for the KLX.) 4mm to 12mm deep sockets in 1/4" and then select the larger sockets in 3/8". You wont need many as most fittings on the bike are less than 12mm. 3/8" Torque wrench with a 1/4" step down adapter to use with the deep sockets. Mine goes from 6 Nm up. I've also got some stubby twin end spanners, 6mm to 17mm. My fav' tools are the two ratchet wrenches I got, 8mm and 10mm. So good for those hard to reach spots. Get yourself one of those magnetic wands too, always useful when you drop the nut into the airbox. LOL
The stuff I've got is Kincrome pro. Seems like good kit at a reasonable price.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
As far as a socket set goes, Craftsman makes nice tool sets for a reasonable price. You can ALWAYS find tools at pawn shops, for really cheap because they are so common.
+2 on both ideas. Craftsman has long been a staple in my garage. Both because they make a decent tool and because they run sales all year long. Lifetime warranty is tough to beat.

Pawn shops are often the best place to buy a specific tool - or set, for that matter. Prices are typically 10-20% on the dollar, and if you know what you are looking for you can find some gems. Couple of months ago I picked up a Snap-on 19mm combo wrench for $3. Off the truck has gotta be $25. Sucker must be a foot long and has the backbone for whatever I can dish out. Used, sure, but high quality steel from the US of A, probably last a lot longer than I will.

If you have the time and opportunity you can put together a good set whatever route you go. Spend the money on good tools, you won't regret it

Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

If you've got a Lowes near you, then check out their Kobalt brand. They are lifetime replacement like Craftsman. And, Lowes will take back ANYTHING so you should never encounter a problem if you ever try to return something.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCsilver
If you've got a Lowes near you, then check out their Kobalt brand. They are lifetime replacement like Craftsman. And, Lowes will take back ANYTHING so you should never encounter a problem if you ever try to return something.
I'll check 'em out. It's where I get my chain lube.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I'll check 'em out. It's where I get my chain lube.
What lube to you buy from there? I use the PJ1 Chain Wax from Cycle Gear.

Quick Reply: Looking for tools - for at home and the road