lifting to remove wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Default lifting to remove wheels

I'm looking at bike stands and need one I can use when alone. Not sure how I would lift the bike up on those simple stands. Is there a way to do it alone without being a powerlifter? otherwise I see these smal hydraulic ones for about 60 bucks. Any advice?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got the Craftsman MC/ATV jack, it works great, but it does take up it's fair share of floor space. You could check out Harbor Freight. They have some MC jacks and stands at pretty decent prices.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Got mine at Harbor Freight. One of the gold/silver colored roll arounds with the risers for high frame bikes like our KLX'es. Had it over a year and am OK with it. It does tend to leak down over time when loaded so you'd want to be sure to use the big safety bar that comes with it.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a MSR Pro lift stand. Its small and easy to use. Just position it under the bike and roll the bike forward slightly and step on the pedal. When I'm not using it I just toss my 5 gallon gas jug on it. Its a life saver! BTW I did use this stand when I changed tires a month ago. A couple blocks of wood and your good to go or you can ratchet strap the bike to the stand.

Here is a link, but buy it from your choice of store as EVERYONE caries this stand.

MSR Pro Lift Stand - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited by UltraApple; 04-02-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a MSR stand too, mine is the P12, very similar. DEEELUXE! No regrets. The shop I bought it from was really good about taking back some other makes that just didn't work out. Catalogue description wrong, poorly designed, no leverage ratio etc etc.
One of the guys I'd dealt with wasn't in when the lift arrived so I even brought it back to the shop so he could see how great it is. He didn't think it would work because the pic in his catalogue made it look like it had a really tiny platform.
There might be cheaper ones but there aren't better or equal. IMHO.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 04-02-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

best 100$ ive ever spent on the bike....
Name:  klx008.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  153.6 KB
Use it more than any other tool on the bikes.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM

I should have said that I already own a craftsman lift. Problem is it is too big for my current single garage. I also did not want to spend $100. Is it easy to get a bike on a motocross stand alone? is there a trick to it or does it take two guys to lift the bike and slide it under.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I have this. Works excellent for me. Less than a hundred too.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../124-1012.aspx.

I Place my bike here when not in use.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If i wasnt getting a jack. I would just build a stand out of 2X4's
quick google image search

Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shekmark
I should have said that I already own a craftsman lift. Problem is it is too big for my current single garage. I also did not want to spend $100. Is it easy to get a bike on a motocross stand alone? is there a trick to it or does it take two guys to lift the bike and slide it under.
The MSR stand is adjustable to just fit under. I can use it by myself no problem. I have to lift the back of the bike a little to fit in under. Any chance you can find one to try before you buy?

Quick Reply: lifting to remove wheels