Lessons in motorcycling the KLX has taught me...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Lessons in motorcycling the KLX has taught me...

Hopefully I can be concise, but I doubt it.
1) Always, always, always(am I being clear, yes; concise, no) carry the tools needed for roadside fixable problems. ALWAYS, unless you are fine with a tow and maybe a repair bill, I'm not...but it happens.
2) The word "tool" does not always mean wrench, screwdriver, person, etc. Sometimes the word tool can accurately describe an object like a FLASHLIGHT! Capitalized because that is just one of the things that not having, has left me stranded!
3) Being prepared sometimes isn't enough. Knowledge is power. Tweaked my forks on a trail ride, so bad it was ridiculous, thought I'd have to limp out of the woods...my buddy comes back and in 3 minutes has me set straight, I did it under his tutelage and now I know, forever.
4) And the biggest money saver with this bike - THIS FORUM. All the reading and research I've done here has saved me; money in repairs, because I knew what my problem was thanks to you guys(even when I never posted and just lurked for answers) and in preventative stuff like the carb t-vent mod, what skid plate, hand guards, etc. (Still need to add an inline fuel filter)
5) Because I can't be concise, truth is I could add to this list indefinitely, but I won't. 5 is...ah damn...got up to pee and can't remember...oh yeah, they don't always have service but cell phones (and other possibly essential devices(ahem, flashlight)) should have a good charge on their batteries.
6) Ride it like you stole it! Riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow! And that is from a Ducati 900SS owner, love it but it is only fun at ridonkulous speed.

All this because I hopped on my trusty steed to head off to Logan airport(150miles), via a buddies house where I was planning on sleeping and storing my bike for the trip. I was flying out the next morning to my brothers wedding in Big Sur. The plan was for a nice relaxing long weekend, well a partying good time weekend, with some stress free travel...reliable transport to the airport and a non-stop flight, followed by a ride down the PCH in another wedding guest's car!
Ahem, reality sets in.
2 miles onto the highway, I realize what I knew already, my gearing is no good for sustained highway travel. I'm running 8500 rpm at an indicated 73mph (if memory serves), not much if any throttle left to open. So I settle in to a 70ish speed.
Eventually 40 miles later, I catch a dump truck, one that I've been catching for about 20 miles. As I pull out to pass (w/o accelerating), the bike loses power. I'd been here before, water or something in the carb, whipped out the allen key from my jacket pocket, drained the bowl(took 3 tries) to fix it.
I was off again!
I decided to slow down and leave a little throttle left(that lasted for about 5 minutes). So...
Same scenario 20 miles later, only this time passing a Geo Metro(I notice these things). Pull over again and whip out the still warm allen key.
This time it only got worse. Drained the bowl enough times to concern the EPA.
It seemed like I just clogged another jet each time I got it running.
Finally tried to run it to the next exit on choke, in hopes of making it to a parking lot with light. Got up to 30ish at one point in 6th, just barely above lugging it. Finally just wouldn't run except to idle. I had already killed my phone using the flashlight app, so a further repair in the dark was not possible.
Called the AMA for a tow, I pulled out my laptop and charged the phone a little, while calling for help, bring a flashlight, the app is good short term but that's it, it uses a fair bit of juice, and you might need to make a call with that power.
Laid down in the grass, way off the road, but that is why someone finally called the cops(3hrs later), because they saw a motorcycle with the rider laying in the grass(bike was on the kickstand BTW)...needless to say the popo were happy to see me get up and walk over to them, once they arrived(I had just gotten comfy and fallen asleep, resigned to rescheduling my flight before I missed it).
The cop even gave me the name of a local shop to get towed to and offered help in getting me to Boston on time for my flight (once they realized I was alive, OK, and knew I was trying to make an important flight).
Well, I made the wedding, had a great time, maybe met a future girlfriend, and got the bike fixed at a shop.
It was indeed clogged jets. $141 later + $17.50 in bus fair, to go get it and the story should end for sometime. I hope.....well...
I'm sure the saga will continue....as I need new tires to stud for icy road conditions this upcoming winter....and that will bring another set of challenges which I'm hopefully prepped for.
Yeah, I need another beer, shutting up now.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice write-up, Maximus. And good recommendations. I usually always have an extra flashlight to go along with the phone, but that gets me thinking a chem-light stick or two tucked in somewhere on the bike would be easy to do, and smart for those bad emergencies. Treat your KLX to one of those 15 tooth front sprockets for those long highway rides. Oh! and a fuel filter!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

any recommendations for a fuel filter? i need one after installing the acerbis tank.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I always, always, always carry a *GOOD* flashlight (Fenix LD01) on my keyring. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I find that I need it, and use it constantly.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
any recommendations for a fuel filter? i need one after installing the acerbis tank.
I use the little plastic clear ones from my local M/C shop. They come straight-through and 90-degree. Like this, but there are many other varieties:

Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I use the little plastic clear ones from my local M/C shop. They come straight-through and 90-degree. Like this, but there are many other varieties:

Fair warning... I used to use those exact filters. I had one on my KLR and the KLX. Until one 95+degree day. I decided to ride down to the Hofbrauhaus and just as i was getting there it seem like it was running out of gas. So i go in and eat, figure it was just real hot from stop n go traffic. Come out and it wouldnt start. So what happened is that from the hose clamps and hot gas, and outside temp it actually smashed the inlet and outlet of the fuel filter, there no longer was an inlet or outlet. So if you use those filters make sure you either carry a spare or make sure there is enough hose that you can eliminate the filter and the hose would still be long enough. Has happened on the KLX also. Needless to say i dont use them. Until i find a metal body fuel filter....

Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

^ Wow!
I carry a spare length of fuel line in case the filter breaks.
How about these from MC Superstore:
Emgo Universal Fuel Filter - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Russell Anodized Fuel Filters - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Drag Specialties Clear Fuel Filter - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

edit: Emgo and Drag Specialties are GLASS. I don't like that.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 10-03-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I always, always, always carry a *GOOD* flashlight (Fenix LD01) on my keyring. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I find that I need it, and use it constantly.
You beat me to it. As always I carry at least one if not three flashlights wherever I go. That and my K-Bar and an extra battery case for the IPhone.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Fair warning... I used to use those exact filters. I had one on my KLR and the KLX. Until one 95+degree day. I decided to ride down to the Hofbrauhaus and just as i was getting there it seem like it was running out of gas. So i go in and eat, figure it was just real hot from stop n go traffic. Come out and it wouldnt start. So what happened is that from the hose clamps and hot gas, and outside temp it actually smashed the inlet and outlet of the fuel filter, there no longer was an inlet or outlet. So if you use those filters make sure you either carry a spare or make sure there is enough hose that you can eliminate the filter and the hose would still be long enough. Has happened on the KLX also. Needless to say i dont use them. Until i find a metal body fuel filter....

Well stop tightening stuff like a gorilla!!! LOL If you get the right size for the hose and the fact that our system is under zero pressure, you really should not even need a clam on that.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im thinking that that fuel filter isnt designed to be clamped at all...

Quick Reply: Lessons in motorcycling the KLX has taught me...