Leaks Gas When Sleeping

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Leaks Gas When Sleeping

And by sleeping I mean when it's on its side.

It did this with the stock carburetor and still does it with my BB TM34. But when the bike is down, fuel POURS out of the carburetor hoses. Is there any way to cure this? Kinda makes getting the thing back upright very important (and isn't always practical), and reaching the Acerbis fuel valve isn't always possible either, especially since it tends to go down on its left side more than its right.

My DR650 does this too but nowhere near as badly. More like a trickle. But on the KLX, it's about the same as removing the fuel line from the gas tank and just letting it drain.

Rob

Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Its an emergency drain for the carburetor so you don't flood your engine (the float level is set for this reason). If you plug the holes you won't let gas evap out of the bowl and you will have vapor lock.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Only fix is to not fall over. Not an easy task.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Swap in a vacuum petcock like on the drz or klr.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

that made me think if there was a remote vacuum shut off. Seems there is:

Fuel Pump Valve Vacuum Petcock Scooter Moped ATV Go Kart GY6 50cc 125cc 150cc (1301) sells for less than $10 on
Amazon Amazon

Plug it in after the pet **** and use the air injector vacuum fitting in the intake side of the carburetor. Should work.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Or put an electric solenoid fuel valve in.....just one more thing to cause you grief in the woods when the battery dies.

Or, put a small restriction in the hose diameter, still will leak, but at a significantly reduced rate. You don't want to block this hose off.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:35 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I pinch the vent cap hose on the Acerbis.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

It looks worse than it really is. A bit of gas will always leak. I've never understood people that just leave their bikes lay on the trail.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
It looks worse than it really is. A bit of gas will always leak. I've never understood people that just leave their bikes lay on the trail.
Most of the time you're absolutely right...just pick the bike up. However, on at least two occasions...one of them just last month...I've had the bike land in an off camber groove or rocks in a steep downhill position on its side. I had to work a bit to get the bike pulled and turned into a position where I could pick it up. Gas was flowing out the carb, and it was going to be a few minutes before I could really get the bike into position...riding alone, of course. And Rob's right...the Acerbis can be difficult to reach the petcock if it's wedged in the rocks or a groove on the left side in a downhill tilt. With that tank or most aftermarket tanks with a rubber vent hose on the cap, just fold the end of the vent tube in some way to stop air flow.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Interesting I always thought it was a conscious effort on the part of the motorcycle to force me into the state of pure equilibrium where neither of us can fall any further...

Quick Reply: Leaks Gas When Sleeping