KLX351 riding with sportbikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Default KLX351 riding with sportbikes?

I currently have an SV650. I bought it last year (first bike) and put 8000 miles on it in about 6 months. I originially wanted a KLX250s but decided on a street bike because I'd be riding with other 600s, liter bikes, and a busa. We ride at a pretty spirited pace of 70-80 on the windy (not twisty) country roads for about 350 miles. I dont think we have 'twisties' out here in WV like the ones I see on Youtube that are out in CA, but we do have a couple mountains with nice roads going up them with back to back 35 mph turns. We might go through them around 65 mph I guess. The big bikes like to open it up and do 150+ on some straight stretches for 1/2 mile or so. Personally I dont like that, I just love going through turns.

I've come to love the SV after all the work i've done to it (even though i wanted a ds originally), but I've been watching supermoto videos on youtube and I'm itching to sell the SV and get a sumo. The problem is, I really want to be able to offroad with my buddies that have old dirt bikes and a couple nicer four wheelers. Though I dont have any off road/trail experience, I think the bigger bikes would be too heavy for me to enjoy so I'm looking at the KLX250s (once again) but with the 351 big bore kit and two sets of tires. Obviously the KLX would do fine in the dirt with my friends. The question is whether I'd be able to ride with the guys I've been riding with for the past year? With the type of riding I described above, do you think the klx351 would be able to even remotely keep up in the winding roads? Obviously on the straights they'd lose me and I'm ok with that...as long as I could catch back up in the turns because of the KLX's lightweight. I've read that the KLX351 can do 100+ but can it do 70-80 for hours on a country road? Can it do 0-60 quick enough so the sport bikes aren't a mile ahead of me before i get up to speed when taking off?

Just looking for some input. I've spent so many hours reading about all these bikes and I always come back to the KLX. I just can't find a straight answer on whether it'll be enough for the type of riding i'd like to do.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Short answer. NO.
The 351 increases (dramatically) the tq of the bike.. the top speed stays at 85 indicated (going down hill with a friend pushing you).
There is about 10% error so at 85 indicated you are probably doing 75mph.. but that's open throttle.

If your looking to cruise at 55-65 your probably good to go.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

However, you will probably have way more fun on the KLX than any of the other dbags riding their busas at warp speed.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Look for and old cheap dirt bike or wheeler and keep the SV until you can afford to own two bikes at once.

I LOVE my KLX, but when it comes time to ride with my crotch rocket friends, i take the Ninja. They don't speed or anything, but trying to keep up from stops or a quick jaunt up the slab to go pick someone up on the way or whatever is just plain no fun on the KLX.

Now if i could just find a bunch of other DS riders to hang with, i bet the ninja would get ridden MUCH less.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, exactly what these guys said.

Two completely different types of bikes.

Dual sports are the pick-up trucks of motorcycles, crotch rockets are the porche's and mustangs.

Trucks can't keep up with cars.

Find a $1500 dual sport on craigslist and call it a day. I would keep both bikes.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Strait roads = no

Curvy hilly tight corner with few straits = mad sport bike friends

Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

All things being equal, no, the little KLX will simply not run with sportbikes. However, you might keep up if you are on an SF depending on:
- How well you ride
- How poorly your friends ride
- How twisty the road is

If there are any extremes in the above variables, it’s possible to really show-up a guy on a sportbike, and SPANK a guy on a Harley!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

You are asking about a super moto. I have the 351 SF and it handles great on sharp corners at decent speed. Top end is in the low eighties. The Bike does not handle well over 80, any little thing can upset it. If you can find some real technical stuff, you may be able to pull ahead of them because the SF handles so well on black top. For straight forget it. The fastest I have seen out of my 351 is 89 indicated ONCE.

I do not ride in the dirt. With true street tires sand is no fun and mud is a joke.

David

Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
All things being equal, no, the little KLX will simply not run with sportbikes. However, you might keep up if you are on an SF depending on:
- How well you ride
- How poorly your friends ride
- How twisty the road is

If there are any extremes in the above variables, it’s possible to really show-up a guy on a sportbike, and SPANK a guy on a Harley!
Those fellows on the harleys are the ones that say to me
"When are you going to get a real bike?" I just smile, I have 2 BMW one is a fuel injected 1100.

I always want to pull up to one of those BIG V twins on my KLX and flip em off. Then see if they can catch me in the city. Never happen.

David

Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
Those fellows on the harleys are the ones that say to me
"When are you going to get a real bike?"

I just respond with "When are you ?".

Or the classic: "90% of Harleys built are still on the road. The other 10% actually made it home."

Quick Reply: KLX351 riding with sportbikes?