KLX300S make it lower

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 06:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
Also I saw in the other thread that you only ride 50 mph. How do you even know that your KLX handles so well as you think it does then if you're never exercising the bike?
It handles just fine.
The roads out here aren't fast,
but they're lots of curvy fun.

Last edited by tooter; 05-11-2023 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
It handles just fine.
The roads out here aren't fast,
but they're lots of curvy fun.
Your video comes up as "restricted" so we can't see it.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Your video comes up as "restricted" so we can't see it.
Try it now and let me know.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

It worked now.

We have very opposite styles of riding when it comes to shift points. Even in slower speed traffic like that, I typically keep a cruising RPM of no less than 5,500. Why? Because less than that and the engine is totally asleep. I know you modded your exhaust and everything, but still. If you're not exercising even the stock power potential, then why mod for a slightly stronger bottom end? Why not skip the mods, save some coin, and just rev the bike out a little more? I don't mean that condescendingly, I mean that as an honest question. I can't read your tach in the video, but guessing by sound it seems like you're riding at mostly under 4,000 RPM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-12-2023, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

It worked now.

We have very opposite styles of riding when it comes to shift points. Even in slower speed traffic like that, I typically keep a cruising RPM of no less than 5,500. Why? Because less than that and the engine is totally asleep. I know you modded your exhaust and everything, but still. If you're not exercising even the stock power potential, then why mod for a slightly stronger bottom end? Why not skip the mods, save some coin, and just rev the bike out a little more? I don't mean that condescendingly, I mean that as an honest question. I can't read your tach in the video, but guessing by sound it seems like you're riding at mostly under 4,000 RPM. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That's right. I typically shift between 4,000 and 5,000, and in 6th gear 5,000 rpm is 50 mph so my normal operating range is 3,500-5,000 rpm. In the video I was able to go faster (up to 59 mph) because no one was in front of me. Usually traffic flows up to 45 mph maximum.

The engine doesn't need to rev any faster to get the bike moving smartly, because I did a unique combination of these mods specifically to increase low rpm torque.

1. Large diameter chambered headpipe
2. Tuneable disk exhaust
3. Internal cone billet end cap
4. Lengthened midpipe 10 inches into the muffler

Not only is the overall length of the exhaust pipe physically increased by 25%, the chambered headpipe increases the total internal volume which has the same effect as adding even more length to the pipe.

Longer Pipe = More Torque

The tuning disks in the muffler create a scavenging effect on the exhaust, and the internal cone billet end cap smooths out the exhaust flow into a radial pattern to reduce turbulence and promote a uniform flow through the disks.

I've always been interested in exhaust design so I enjoy experimenting with my bike to make it run better.

Last edited by tooter; 05-12-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I know about the lengthening of your exhaust, but what I mean is what's the point when you can simply twist your wrist a little more or just hold off on shifting for a couple more seconds each upshift and then also be moving smartly?

An outlandish analogy would be somebody supercharging a V8 that redlines at 7,000 RPM when they never plan to get the engine above 3,000 RPM. For what? Use all of what's available first, then upgrade. Because at that point, the sensible upgrade is opening the throttle.

Old 05-13-2023, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I know about the lengthening of your exhaust, but what I mean is what's the point when you can simply twist your wrist a little more or just hold off on shifting for a couple more seconds each upshift and then also be moving smartly?

An outlandish analogy would be somebody supercharging a V8 that redlines at 7,000 RPM when they never plan to get the engine above 3,000 RPM. For what? Use all of what's available first, then upgrade. Because at that point, the sensible upgrade is opening the throttle.
I actually have a lot of fun modifying my bike to suit my own personal use. In my business I do a lot of low speed climbing steep canyon roads, so low rpm torque is a distinct advantage under these extreme conditions. It makes my bike a joy to ride even for work.

Old 05-13-2023, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I actually have a lot of fun modifying my bike to suit my own personal use. In my business I do a lot of low speed climbing steep canyon roads, so low rpm torque is a distinct advantage under these extreme conditions. It makes my bike a joy to ride even for work.
Got any video of the climbs?

Old 05-14-2023, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Got any video of the climbs?
They'd just be boring low rpm first gear crawling... and not even in dirt.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

They'd just be boring low rpm first gear crawling... and not even in dirt.
Then why just use more throttle, haha

Quick Reply: KLX300S make it lower