KLX300R

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX300R

I have just a quick question for all the KLX300R riders in this forum. I was wondering if any of you members have taken your 300R and dual sported it like the 250S, and use it to just ride aournd town. This question was brought up because it is winter here now and gas prices are low but i have heard that they are supposed to get higher by summer. So i wanted to convert my bike to dual sport to save gas and so i can use it to transport to work. If you could give me insight to what you did to make it dual sport and all the parts that would be much appriciated. thank you to all who posts. Pictures would help to.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX300R

first check with your state for local laws on registering your "vehicle" i think in some states it needs to have a title and if it doesnt have one or has one that says "off road use only" it might be alittle harder to do... but not impossiable usally. also look into some dual sport "kits" with the turn signals licence plate holder with light and brake light head light... your bike already has the head light right? it might have the set up for a brake light already built in... i'm not sure i've never checked one out really. take a look and see if theres any harnesses just layin around back under the fender... who knows

Old 01-01-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

As stated, you do need to check with your state to see if it is possible and if so what is required to make it legal. It's getting harder to do these days. Each state is different as to whether it is allowed and what is required.States that allow it may require a full blown "kit", everything that would be on a street bike from the factory such as front and rear brake lights, turn signals, horn, mirrors, lights that work without the engine running and DOT tires etc. Some states only require a minimal set up such as rear brake light and mirrors. Mine was done before the ban in California and I have a Baja Designs kit on my KLX300. It was about $450.00 and I must say kinda on the cheap side for the amount of money. If I was to do it again I would look at the Trick Dual Sport kits as they look like a little better quality but they are at least as much $. If you can do it and don't require a full kit there are places like www.fourstrokesonly.comthat sell all the separate parts to make a dual sport. Good Luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AgoosSS

As stated, you do need to check with your state to see if it is possible and if so what is required to make it legal. It's getting harder to do these days. Each state is different as to whether it is allowed and what is required. States that allow it may require a full blown "kit", everything that would be on a street bike from the factory such as front and rear brake lights, turn signals, horn, mirrors, lights that work without the engine running and DOT tires etc. Some states only require a minimal set up such as rear brake light and mirrors. Mine was done before the ban in California and I have a Baja Designs kit on my KLX300. It was about $450.00 and I must say kinda on the cheap side for the amount of money. If I was to do it again I would look at the Trick Dual Sport kits as they look like a little better quality but they are at least as much $. If you can do it and don't require a full kit there are places like www.fourstrokesonly.com that sell all the separate parts to make a dual sport. Good Luck.
This is good advice! Best look up the local requirements at your state DMV. Keep in mind that the lights currently on your 300 aren't likely to be DOT approved, that's where the Baja Designs and Trick Dual Sport kits come in handy (with DOT lights and wiring)

Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you everyone that has responded to this, I hope more to come. Yes i do have the rear light rigged up to ligh up when i press on the rear brake. I do not intend on doing any night riding but i see what you all are saying about the lights not being street legal. Before i got this bike from my dad he installed a Hi/Lo switch and i would run the hi beam while riding. Yeah i guess i need to work on getting it registerd. I dont know if I am going to go this way but this is what i had in mind for upgrades. First would be getting dual purpose tires possible the d606's. then i would install turn signals in the front and back. For the liscense plate i would just build a mount that comes below the fender and then have the liscense plate mount to it. kinda what nobrakes had i think? Then i was going to install a battery, I do not know exactly which way i am going there are two possible ways. i just buy a smaller one under my seat and then update my stator. Or build a mount that goes under the left side plate kinda like the KLX250S, then get that side plate and the radiator collector. any advice on this would be helpful because i am in the process of doing this. I was thinking of putting the KLX250S front headlight on i guess we will see. thank for all that responds.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

If it is legal and you can get it registered it sounds like you are wanting to put on most of the items that come in the"kits". They are more money but can be worth it for some, as in myself, because they have all the wiring, lights and controls all packaged up for a clean install.With my Baja Designs kit, it has a small Ni-Cad battery (about 10 ounces) behind the headlight/number plate that has worked great so far. All the electrical components are mounted cleanly behind theheadlight. With the Baja Designs kit for the KLX300 it comes standard with the Acerbis tail light that a few on the forum have used on their 250s's. If you want to use the MX fender they will substitute with their LED light and mount designed for MX type fenders. I have the Acerbis and am in the process of converting it to LED because I can never keep the bulbs from burning out. I rarely ride on the street andthe bulbs don't hold up to the off road abuse. I have tried about three different ones. Good luck.