KLX300 shift star

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX300 shift star

Does anyone here have the dimensions for the spring tension dowel that is used with the reground shift star?

Thanks
Brewster

Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Brewster:
I don't have the dimensions, sorry.
Are you doing shift star grinding for our 250? If so, what's the price? I've been thinking about this one.
Thanks!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm please tell me more?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX300's had a problem of jumping out of gear, usually 1st or 2nd. The shape of the shift star is the major cause. Here's what we've been doing to help the shifting:

Shift Star Fix

The shift star material is fairly soft so it is easy to grind with a Dremmel or equivalent grinder. You just want to make the peaks sharper but not lower.

From what I've been reading here, the 250's have had a couple of versions of the star.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

It is important to note that in the history of the KLX250/300R/S models, there have been two different, unrelated problems with shift star designs. Also note that this info is only known for the US model bikes; the overseas models may have different combinations.

Like Brewster points out, the KLX300R (and I presume the old KLX250R) was plagued by shifting problems due to the profile of the shift star - most generally causing false neutrals. The '06 and newer KLX250S models already come stock with profiles similar to the modified KLX300R version, and do not have the same problems false neutrals (though the 2009 and 2010 models have a different problem with the stock shift star that make them extremely weak).

To Brewster's original question, I'm no help. I don't recall seeing the dimension used for the dowel added to the KLX300 spring. I do remember reading that some folks with 300R bikes had luck modifying the profile of their shift stars without adding the dowel to the spring.

In the KLX250S models (at least US versions) the 2009 shift star profile is a little bit more 'aggressive' than the 2006/2007 models...but the 2009 model has another unrelated design flaw that makes it extremely weak. See the sticky thread here: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-change-35512/. Kawasaki has since reverted back to the 06/07 design as replacement parts, and if you order one, that's what you'll get.

After breaking the star in my 2009 model, it was replaced with the 06/07 version (as shipped from Kawasaki). The stars '06 and newer are mechanically interchangeable and all shared the same part number; but they are not interchangeable with the older 300R star. My memory gets really fuzzy due to the passage of time, but if pressed I would say that shift quality was better with the stock '09 star. If I ever have reason to tear back into it, I'll likely modify my '06 style star to match the profile of the '09, and I may add spring tension via a spacer dowel such as used in the 300R star mod.

Last edited by Lutz; 12-16-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool thanks I thought the 300 star may be stronger than the 06 or the 09.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
The '06 and newer KLX250S models already come stock with profiles similar to the modified KLX300R version, and do not have the same problems false neutrals.
Sorry but you are wrong, my 06 is an absolute PITA for false neutrals when shifting from second to first when under load for example when climbing a hill and needing first it will often slip into neutral instead of first. I have dropped my bike several times because of this

Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Sorry but you are wrong, my 06 is an absolute PITA for false neutrals when shifting from second to first when under load for example when climbing a hill and needing first it will often slip into neutral instead of first. I have dropped my bike several times because of this
What you're describing is not a false neutral, it's a true neutral - it's supposed to be there in between first and second. False neutrals occur when the roller that rides over the shift star stops on one of the peaks of the star rather than falling into the valley. The star peak between first and second has a detent which is intended to hold the transmission in neutral; all the remaining peaks are intended for the roller to just pass on by.

Regardless, I agree that the shift between first and second is not as clean on this bike as other models.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I bow to your superior knowledge

Old 03-06-2017, 01:36 AM
Default Same Issue

This thread hasn't been touched in over 5 years, but the problems haven't changed. I bought a used '07 300. On the trail today it slipped so bad I ended up having my buddy tow me the last 5 years. It just wouldn't go into gear. So are these modified stars still available?

Quick Reply: KLX300 shift star