KLX300 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX300 Exhaust

I just installed a KLX300 header and muffler, as it was cheap, and my thought was that it would be quieter than an aftermarket pipe. Well, my muffler doesn't have the tip (which everyone says to remove anyway), and that damn thing is loud!

So what have others done to replace that tip? I can only find one tip on ebay, and it's too flashy for me. I'd like to put a downturn tip on it, and am curious if anyone else has done the same.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I went to a welder and got an elbow (about 45 degres and 1 inch diameter) welded so I can attach it and it does help to lower the sound without noticeable performance hit.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Quieter Muff

Originally Posted by doum
Yes, I went to a welder and got an elbow (about 45 degres and 1 inch diameter) welded so I can attach it and it does help to lower the sound without noticeable performance hit.
Ditto on the insert, except did the welding myself. 1" thin wall conduit was just the right gauge and diameter for this project.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blz2dwl
I just installed a KLX300 header and muffler, as it was cheap, and my thought was that it would be quieter than an aftermarket pipe. Well, my muffler doesn't have the tip (which everyone says to remove anyway), and that damn thing is loud!

So what have others done to replace that tip? I can only find one tip on ebay, and it's too flashy for me. I'd like to put a downturn tip on it, and am curious if anyone else has done the same.

Thanks!
I have a KLX300 muffler with a TSW header pipe on my KLX250S and I agree that it is loud.
Check the pictures on this page for the tip I installed.

Exhaust Modifications

Doug

Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Doug, that tip is perfect, but I can't find one anywhere. The only turn down I can find is a 3-bolt tip for HMF pipes. I may have to go that route and drill and tap new holes.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blz2dwl
Doug, that tip is perfect, but I can't find one anywhere. The only turn down I can find is a 3-bolt tip for HMF pipes. I may have to go that route and drill and tap new holes.
Take at look at this on fro eBay
KAWASAKI 3D CNC EXHAUST POWER TIP KLX 300 KLX300 with SPARK ARRESTOR SCREEN | eBay

Doug

Old 04-21-2017, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
That's interesting. I would imagine it's the same noise wise as removing the stock tip? How much louder is the KLX300 exhaust with the tip removed (I've never heard one)?

Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

The real noise seems to be created by the disturbance that the un-corked hole in the muffler seems to cause. I think the exhaust comes out of the spark arrestor and hits the end of the muffler, bounces around, and makes it way out of the hole. I've held up a 3" long piece of 2" diameter pipe against the end of the muffler and the noise quiets down considerably. My only guess is that it allows the air to get organized and flow out with less disturbance. The original disturbance is still there, but it's now occurring inside the muffler/end cap, so it's somewhat disguised. Plus, a turndown at least points the noise at the floor and away from the ear.

I really wanted a turndown, and found the HMF aluminum tip with turndown for $25 on ebay. It has 3 holes, so I'll have to drill and tap, but that's no biggie. And it'll never rust.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vtvette
That's interesting. I would imagine it's the same noise wise as removing the stock tip? How much louder is the KLX300 exhaust with the tip removed (I've never heard one)?
The aluminum tip on the KLX300 muffler (very similar to the one in my previous post) does not cut much noise at all.
I find the KLX exhaust system is not really quiet as some say. It's quite loud.
The real advantage of the KLX300 exhaust is weight and a much less restrictive system that produces more power.

Doug

Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
The aluminum tip on the KLX300 muffler (very similar to the one in my previous post) does not cut much noise at all.
I find the KLX exhaust system is not really quiet as some say. It's quite loud.
The real advantage of the KLX300 exhaust is weight and a much less restrictive system that produces more power.

Doug
Thanks Doug great info.

I'm building a KLX300 right now. I'm installing a 351 kit, and had the stock KLX300 exhaust heat coated as I've read "it's about as quiet and light as anything else", and offers good performance even with a 351.

Any experience with any aftermarket pipes that offer similar performance but, quieter sound? I'm not a fan of loud bikes at all.

Quick Reply: KLX300 Exhaust