Is the KLX250S Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is the KLX250S Right for Me?

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

"The slowest component of most motorcycles is the rider" - P. Bonner
when the throttle is WFO all the time, their aint anything ur gonna do to make it go faster

Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Honestly, I dont think i would ever have a need to get on the highway with it. I would just ride to work and then hit some trails. I would rejet it and pipe it as soon as I got it. I want something that is like riding a dirt bike around town. The main reason that the bike appeals to me is that the price is right, and it is light.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like this bike will fit the bill then.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I would seriously consider converting a Real fast dirt bike if you want to go real real fast. Get an old Yamaha MX360 and make it street legal. I had one as a kid growing up and I weighed 120 Lbs. I can't imagine a bike being much faster than tham MX360 2 stroke aside from a CBR1000. As for the KLX, I love it for the great mix of off/on road fun. The 6th gear is a great plus and I don't think any other Dual Sport is near as High tech as the KLX. The anti-Vibration system really works nice and after several long trips I was sold on it. I love this Bike but again if you want really really fast, look at lots of mods or a pure street bike maybe. I love the ZX-6R!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej,you let me down bro.[&o]For once you didn't push the bike like a spokesperson for kawi,and want a Honda to boot. Maybe he needs a few of your pics to convince him.LOL

Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I'm 6-1 and 250-260 and the bike still takes me anywhere, I can only imagine if someone was 75-100 lbs lighter this bike would really haul.
6-3 255 here, while my brother is like 6-5 and 180 (soaking wet) and he doesnt scream past me when we race our bikes (he's got the same setup as me). Right now this bike is perfect for me, as i've only been riding for a year now (on any bike, this was my first). I'm really excited to do the jet mods, sprocketand exhaust pipe if they ever come off the backorder lists. I'm hoping that i'll be able to get the front wheel up in at least first gear without dumping the clutch as i do now.

Definately a good bike to boot around town in, anything over 70mph kindof scares me as wind gusts seem to rock me side to side a bit. I can keep up to my buddies on trails and if i can't, its usually because my skill or better judgement keepingme back.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I would seriously consider converting a Real fast dirt bike if you want to go real real fast. Get an old Yamaha MX360 and make it street legal. I had one as a kid growing up and I weighed 120 Lbs. I can't imagine a bike being much faster than tham MX360 2 stroke aside from a CBR1000. As for the KLX, I love it for the great mix of off/on road fun. The 6th gear is a great plus and I don't think any other Dual Sport is near as High tech as the KLX. The anti-Vibration system really works nice and after several long trips I was sold on it. I love this Bike but again if you want really really fast, look at lots of mods or a pure street bike maybe. I love the ZX-6R!

I thought about converting a normal MX bike, but I want the reliability. I do not want a street bike at all, as I am trading in my current street bike for this klx.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 AM

It sounds like you would be fine with a KLX as long as you weren't expecting it to do what your RMZ did in the dirt. The KLX is a fun bike to ride on the road and take exploring in the woods but not very fun on a motocross track. I tried it and borke 2 ribs! It just doesn't jump like an MX bike and I am too old to be doing that anyway.

Get it, they are fun bikes.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

ORIGINAL: deej

I'm 6-1 and 250-260 and the bike still takes me anywhere, I can only imagine if someone was 75-100 lbs lighter this bike would really haul.
6-3 255 here, while my brother is like 6-5 and 180 (soaking wet) and he doesnt scream past me when we race our bikes (he's got the same setup as me). Right now this bike is perfect for me, as i've only been riding for a year now (on any bike, this was my first). I'm really excited to do the jet mods, sprocketand exhaust pipe if they ever come off the backorder lists. I'm hoping that i'll be able to get the front wheel up in at least first gear without dumping the clutch as i do now.

Definately a good bike to boot around town in, anything over 70mph kindof scares me as wind gusts seem to rock me side to side a bit. I can keep up to my buddies on trails and if i can't, its usually because my skill or better judgement keepingme back.
It just blows my mind that such big dudes can ride these Bikes. I'm 5'7" & 150 and it's perfect for me. I have freakishly long legs so I can almost flatfoot on my stock KLX. My guess is that these babies have A lot of torque. How else could they pull so much weight around. I'm so damn glad I picked the KLX-250s for my 1st bike in 20 years. BTW I can pull the front end up in 1st w/o popping the clutch but I have to really pull on it. I'm sure a 13t front sprocket would make it a breese to pull up in 1st and maybe even 2nd.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5'7" and about 120-125lbs the klx is like a woods ninja when i ride

Quick Reply: Is the KLX250S Right for Me?