Is the KLX250S Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Default Is the KLX250S Right for Me?

Hey guys, first off let me tell you that i come from a motocross background. I owned a 2004 RMZ 250. I currently have a street bike that I want to sell and get a dual sport. How does this bike compare, power wise, to the RMZ? I want a bike that I can drive on the street, but i want to be able to ride trails with my friends also. Is this the bike for me? If not, what is a better option?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is the KLX250S Right for Me?

The RMZ had probably close to 30HP stock, the KLX has 17HP and street oriented gearing. It will seem quite weak compared to the MX bikes you are used to, not to mention the softer suspension, and more weight. It is however a fun trailbike. With a smaller front sprocket and the basic rejetting/pipe mods it does wake up quite a bit but its no screamer. I did 110 miles Saturday with my buddy who has an 07 Honda 650L and only on the long pavement stretches or graded roads did he really pull away. On a quad width trail we were averaging 50+ and the KLX ate up all the holes/bumps, hills that we ran across, however at that speed there is no reserve power left to loft the front tire over the water holes so I was drenched by the end, whereas he could just carry the tire over the puddles.

To answer your question I think you need to be honest with yourself and take a look at what you want to do now and down the road with the bike. Also your stature comes into play as well, the KLX is more suited to sub 180lb riders based on the suspension. If possible try to test ride one before you make your decision. If you were in the upstate NY area mine is available for a test spin anytime.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

As always probably the best thing to do before buying any new toy if be a car truck bike quad any dealership will offer you a test ride if not how could you know if you would like the bike or not. As for me coming from no bike experience ive read alot of reviews and articles on this site alone. The price is right on the bike doing mods to the bike is fun and creative and as i can describe a hobby bike something easy to maintain and work on. Quite happy with the green machine and thanks for everyone on this fourm with their knowledge, ride meets, and working on my bike. I dont think i could of asked for a better bike to ride on roads and trails.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I guess I need to add a bit here. I bought the bike back in November of 05 and I was impressed by the power, but then again I hadn't had a bike like this for 20 years. After doing the sprocket changes and pipe and jetting, I have to say this bike is awesome. I'm 6-1 and 250-260 and the bike still takes me anywhere, I can only imagine if someone was 75-100 lbs lighter this bike would really haul. I've been on single track, quad trails, highway speeds and logging roads. I have never been disappointed, but then again the last dirt bike I had was a 1980 RM 80 Let us know what you decide, and if we are being honest here I would probably buy the Honda 650 if I had it to do all over again. Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Well I guess I need to add a bit here. I bought the bike back in November of 05 and I was impressed by the power,
in stock form... deej, u sure they didnt mess up and slip a 300 jug on ur bike from the factory? [8D]

anyways.. my 2 cents...
stock.. severe disappointment.. regeared, piped, and jet'd..... woods rocket. dont expect to do any long highway hauls though.
all in all after doin the mods, i love it and doubt ill ever get rid of it.
btw.... passed my motorcycle drivers test today!
w00t

Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsac

w00t
What was the hardest part of the test on a 250? My wife is practicing for it with my help
Thanks,
db

Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davebert

w00t
What was the hardest part of the test on a 250? My wife is practicing for it with my help
Thanks,
db
figure 8's tho they werent that hard.... she'll need to do 3 consecutive within the width of 2 cars parking spaces.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

figure 8's tho they werent that hard.... she'll need to do 3 consecutive within the width of 2 cars parking spaces.
Well I guess she will never get her license then [X(] But seriously, what was the hardest part and what country are you in? [:-]
db

Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know Deej, I had a Honda XR650L (you needed to spend some serious time in a gym working out to handle the beast! It could hurt you bad, hurt you really bad!!) and it wasn't half as fun as the KLX is and I'm 200lbs - 6'3". Now those KTM's sure look sweet! Anybody know anything about the Husky TE250 or TE450 dual-sports?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5289/4441E57702764A22891C1D715DA60157.jpg[/IMG]

"The slowest component of most motorcycles is the rider" - P. Bonner

Quick Reply: Is the KLX250S Right for Me?