Klx250 suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:04 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member
Default Klx250 suspension upgrade

My 2018 klx 250s requires a complete suspension upgrade. I'm 120kg geared up, carrying 5-10kg in spares, gear, clothes etc when travelling.

What is a good brand/site in the USA to order parts from to be shipped overseas.

I can't enjoy the stock suspension anymore.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2022, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member

You can check these guys out, I just did a front and rear valve and spring upgrade. I don't ride with a lot of gear, so you may want to call and talk to someone.

https://racetech.com/page/id/151

Old 06-02-2022, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd recommend you investigate where live. See if there is a suspension shop that has a reputation for doing quality work, then have them revalve and get the right weight spring on it. If they make a kit you could order it and install it if you have the mechanical skill level to do the job. The most well known in the U.S. is likely to be Race Tech. They sell kits and also do the work if the parts are sent to them. Cogent is another I've heard of.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:49 PM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
You can check these guys out, I just did a front and rear valve and spring upgrade. I don't ride with a lot of gear, so you may want to call and talk to someone.

https://racetech.com/page/id/151
Thanks. Will send them an email.

Originally Posted by klx678
I'd recommend you investigate where live. See if there is a suspension shop that has a reputation for doing quality work, then have them revalve and get the right weight spring on it. If they make a kit you could order it and install it if you have the mechanical skill level to do the job. The most well known in the U.S. is likely to be Race Tech. They sell kits and also do the work if the parts are sent to them. Cogent is another I've heard of.
Thanks. Emailed Cogent earlier. Live in Vietnam, not sure much on offer here... Maybe something made in Thailand.

Easiest solution though is for me to import from US and have fitted by a mechanic in the know which is like trying to find rocking horse sh*t in Vietnam 😂

Fortunately, I do know one guy capable

Old 06-10-2022, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

My '12 has essentially the same suspension as your bike.
I'm a few kilo's lighter than you, so I was able to keep to stock front springs, but you will definitely need to replace the rear spring.
The forks have sealed rebound cartridges, so nothing can be changed, but the compression valves can be replaced(they make a big difference).
I also revalved the rear shock with a Racetech Goldvave kit-that allows me to dial the shock in to my weight.
The only funky bit of kit I needed to do the job was a needle adapter to pressurize the rear shock bladder after the rebuild.
There are plenty of threads on this forum showing how to do the job.
It really transforms the character of the bike.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:10 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
My '12 has essentially the same suspension as your bike.
I'm a few kilo's lighter than you, so I was able to keep to stock front springs, but you will definitely need to replace the rear spring.
The forks have sealed rebound cartridges, so nothing can be changed, but the compression valves can be replaced(they make a big difference).
I also revalved the rear shock with a Racetech Goldvave kit-that allows me to dial the shock in to my weight.
The only funky bit of kit I needed to do the job was a needle adapter to pressurize the rear shock bladder after the rebuild.
There are plenty of threads on this forum showing how to do the job.
It really transforms the character of the bike.
Mate I can't even seem to find a spring for it. Congent was of no real help. They told me it was too expensive to send it to them and reference me to a company in Singapore. I was just hoping to get the springs etc. for a capable local mechanic to fit.

Am I better off looking at buying a whole new rear shock to fit to the bike? At least I can have it shipped here and fitted without all the hassle.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I would contact Ohlins to make sure it is compatible. I don't think you can go wrong with Ohlins if it is compatible. I put an Ohlins shock on my kids KLX230, great shock and it allows him to get more out of the bike as his skills progress.

Old 07-03-2022, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I put an Ohlins on my bmw, very satisfied.

Old 07-04-2022, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Thermosman in GA. Traxxion dynamics. Cogent and Racetech (mentioned earlier). There are a lot of options with a quick google search.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:42 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
Thermosman in GA. Traxxion dynamics. Cogent and Racetech (mentioned earlier). There are a lot of options with a quick google search.
If only it were that simple for us folk living in Vietnam.

Cogent:

Ohlins VN (unfortunately 1k kms away)

I guess I'll just have to focus on the KTM 450 till something goes wrong with it which usually isn't long. Then the 500x... geriatric ADV LIFE, HERE I COME!!!!