klx250 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
how much does your local dealer charge?...i'm not sure if it's a california thing, but dealer wanted $250 for oil change and check and nearly $500 for oil change and valve adjustments....
OUCH, my **** hurts. Get that stick out, now!

My local independent charged $40 to check valves, another $20 or so to make adjustments (which weren't needed). Find a good dirt bike shop.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

how much does your local dealer charge?...i'm not sure if it's a california thing, but dealer wanted $250 for oil change and check and nearly $500 for oil change and valve adjustments....
Sorry, man. I live in Rio, Brazil. What I pay won't serve much as a reference for you.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Appearance of an oil doesn't guarantee it's condition. Dark oil can be fine. Oil that "seems thick" doesn't mean it's good, either. Oil thins as it shears, then it generally thickens as it oxidizes. The ONLY way to be certain you are doing the correct change interval is to send it to a good lab, and have a knowledgeable person interpret the results. I'd be willing to bet the 250.00 oil change cost that 7500 is past generally acceptable oil performance limits on this engine when it has been run at high rpms.

Your oil loss can be due to a couple of things...the oil sheared too thin, and therefore was making it easier to escape, it's flash point dropped so low that it was evaporating (and going out the crankcase vent), and/or the engine is experiencing accelerated wear from oil that is not doing as good a job as fresher oil, and you're simply burning it as it passes the rings.

Another thing...MOST "full synthetic" oils are simply severely hydrocracked petroleum base oils. This is because of the Castrol/Mobil lawsuit many years ago, that Castrol won, which essentially allowed Group III base oils to be called "synthetic". Since then, "synthetic" is a marketing term, not a scientific term. The good thing is, Group III oils perform darn well, and, they are much cheaper than a TRUE synthetic.

Again, "Full Synthetic" is a marketing term, not a scientific one. One last thing: just because one is running a TRUE synthetic, it doesn't mean the oil is performing better than a Group III oil with a good additive package. It depends. There's where UOA's come into play, by sending samples to a good lab, and getting experienced interpretations of the results.

OR, just keep the old mechanic's and wive's tales perpetuating myths going...and we'll have another old-fashioned oil war thread, full of partial truths and ignorance.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Back to OP's question...things that he may add:

I don't now how important tear down, inspection and fresh lubrication of the other moving parts are to a mostly street ridden SF, but it seems they should be checked. I'll be doing that again this winter (swing arm, linkage, steering head).

Change sprockets with the chain. Watch the sprockets for wear. The chain has a stretch spec in the manual. Changing one without the other usually causes severe wear in the new part.

How about replacing fork oil?

Check the spokes.

Lubricate the cables (2x per year or so for me).

Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
I change my oil every 500-1000 miles
My oil isn't even warmed up by then!

Actually, it is. I have a Thermo-Bob. I change oil including filters in my bikes at 3000 mile intervals.

Ron

Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

went to other local shops to ask about oil change pricing....most quoted me $150....found one shop that quoted $40....was feeling lazy over the weekend, so took it there...$75 for full synthetic oil, filter and $40 labor was the cheapest i found...but, they don't do valve check/adjustments...i'll do it myself in the future and save the $40...i was just feeling really lazy and the shop was able to do it when i went to buy some oil....

$250 oil change at the dealerships...aka..."stealerships"...

$75 bucks for an oil change? Glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

Call me curious, bored, ****, whatever but the invoice you show has charges for two different weights of oil. That or my eyes have finally failed. Have the specs changed and now call for mixing weights?.......Just asking. j/k

Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

If someone isn't able to do their own oil change for whatever reason that $40 labor charge is pretty reasonable.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
If someone isn't able to do their own oil change for whatever reason that $40 labor charge is pretty reasonable.
Yeah but $26 bucks for a quart and a half of oil? I know some shops keystone (double) parts cost and then tack on labor but sheez. I use Castrol Synthetic and want to say my oil cost is around $8/qt, or $12 for the fill (buy em 3 at a time..). Throw in a good filter for 4 bucks and a half a roll of paper towels and I'm still south of $20 for part and out 1/2 hour of my precious time the could be better used reading forums.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

only had one redline 10w/30 and one 10w/40...used half of the redline 10w/40...not too worried about mixing oils long as it's the same brand...

like to always have spare parts before doing any work on the moto...i'll be more prepare next time...oil was little low, so just wanted to take care of it...woke up and rolled into the shop...was too lazy to do diy...probably keep a spare washer, drain plug and gasket in the toolbox before the next oil change...and some redline 10w/40...

Originally Posted by Xerxes
$75 bucks for an oil change? Glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

Call me curious, bored, ****, whatever but the invoice you show has charges for two different weights of oil. That or my eyes have finally failed. Have the specs changed and now call for mixing weights?.......Just asking. j/k

Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Oil change for me is every 3000 kms (2000 miles) At 5 bucks a quart for the cheapest JASO approved oil this is not a big expense. Once a year for plug change and valve check. Every 2 years for swingarm and stem bearings and brake fluid change. 3 years for coolant. I think that sums up my schedule

Quick Reply: klx250 maintenance