Klx wont start/hard to start!!! Sos

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

hey deej, I did try the "run it out of gas" method when I first got my bike. Although it did help, it wasn't the answer. The only thing that I have found works 90% of the time is to slowly pull the choke out as you motor the engine. The other 10% of the time involves cursing and more cursing until the bike finally gives in

It seems now with the 351 kit and larger pilot (40), I don't have start up problems even on the coldest of days. It starts right up at 20'F.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I run my carb dry, always works for me.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey TNC, I'm not saying that if you figure this out and it's an easy and cheap fix that I'm not gonna jump on board.... I'm not hatin the idea, its just that I'm made peace with the problem. Or maybe I'm just lazy and I took the easy path......wait, does that make me a bad person?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

IQ, did you also de-smog your bike? if you did, check your vacum plugs. I dunno but when it leaks the bike runs like crap!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with deej. I do it on mine and it starts every time.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed.. if its got equal amounts of Fuel, Spark, and Air, then it should run with the choke and the idle turned up even with small pilot jet.

If no spark, i'd say check the kick stand switch, etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with TNC that there has to be a fix to the problem, although I wonder why not all KLX's have the same problem. Mine was hard to start when I first got it. The dealer just adjusted the fuel/air screw and that fixed the problem. Since then my bike starts up right away without draining the carb or leaning the bike over. I just can't see what the differences could be between these bikes? Their design is very simple.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys... Ill start trying some of this stuff...

Just some more info for you...

This has been a problem in both hot and cold start situations. I have stopped along the trail and then went to start the bike after only a few minutes with no luck. I dont see turning the fuel off before every stop being a good option... although at the end of the day, weekend, or year, it would probably be wise.

The shop that worked on my bike is a very reputable Husqvarna Shop and comes highly reccomended by a lot of people. Im not sure exactly what changes he made but he re-jetted, cleaned, and made some other adjustments to my carb. He mentioned that he drilled a hole somewhere in the carb to gain access to some internal adjustment screw. And he then plugged th ehole with a dab of silicone. But Im not sure what exactly he was referring to. The bike wouldnt start when I took it in to have it jetted/ serviced. And it was still hit or miss after i picked it up.

Kick stand switch has been removed.

I will check the plugs from the desmogging.

Ill drain my gas eventhough I have a Fitch Fuel Catalyst in my tank so bad gas really shouldnt be an issue.

Im also going to go over my bike, do an oil change and while Im at it Ill put in a new spark plug.

Ill try to keep you updated and if I figure anyhting out Ill post it on here as it may assist someone else in the future.

KLX FOR SALE!!!!!!!!! WHO WANTS IT??????

Thank you,

MAXX

Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

The silicone would have been put over the fuel/air screw under the carb. The screw does not have to have silicone, a plug or anything else covering it.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmm Never had it happen after the bike was warmed up or hot. Last year I rode over 100 days in a row to work, and every morning it started up in less than 2 seconds. No draining the carb, but that was riding everyday. I went to ride this morning after riding it last Thursday, and I didn't run the gas out. I cranked on it for like 30 seconds, and then did the slow choke pull and another 30 seconds went by and finally it started to sputter, and finally fired up. So that was 5 days, and it was a bugger. I can almost time the difference in 1 day, 2 days, 5 days, each of those days without running the gas out corresponds to a longer time to get the bike started. I would suspect it probably peters out after 2 weeks, and can't get any worse after that.

I still think its something to do with our fuel. I really think that the reason that some bikes start easier than others is a combination of the way the bikes are set up, but more importantly the fuel that is being used. Not all fuels are created equal. Not all fuels are delivered at the same time. I really think that some users are getting fuel that is older, or manufactured in a different way with ingredients and procedures that make this bike hard to start.

And yet, I will follow this thread as I have followed the last 10 threads that have dealt with the problem and what is being tried. I will never say never when it comes to finding a fix. I have too much respect for people, their opinions and the great resources we all have here on this site.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help in any way.