KLX wipe out...fortunately no injuries...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX wipe out...fortunately no injuries...

...but I learned a TON!!!

Complete story (w/pics) at advrider, and rather than duplicate what's over there, here's a link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421416

You guys might be particularly interested in how the KLX fared sliding on its side 30-40 feet on asphalt, so here's a few exclusive pics for this forum. I'm happy to report no major damage and was able to ride it home.

Apparently, the weight of the bike was concentrated on the shifter, bottom edge of the kickstand, handlebar end, and of course my leg. There are some light scratches on the fairing due to gravel at the edge of the road. Clutch lever got bent upward pretty bad (surprised it didn't break).

Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

correction....no MAJOR injuries.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow , looks like you would have been in bad shape without the gear! Glad your OK, and the bike looks pretty good considering what it went through. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

ATGATT. It works
Glad your OK,

looks like the KLX survived rather nicely.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I've wiped out on pavement with my KLX, too. I was on a canyon road late at night and decided to see how quick I could get through it. That's the last time I ever rode the canyons fast on a motorcycle. I would've flown off of the cliff had the guardrail not been there.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

glad your ok.
lucky you didnt slide any further and into that water. that would have been insult to injury

Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you didn't get hurt.

But to be honest, that was not a wipeout...lol...I have done much better, but it was offroad.....you gotta be careful on asphalt..if a car had been coming the other way, you would be dead.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Good to read your OK. Your bike still has the white chain lube and **** on the tires, still fairily new?

Six days after I bought the wife her 09 klx she did the same thing but on the right side of her bike doing 35. She rode home abit wiser and sore, and the bike suffered about the same as yours luckily.

Live to ride another day ATTGATT

Old 01-16-2009, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Good to read your OK. Your bike still has the white chain lube and **** on the tires, still fairily new?
You have a good eye! Ever think of becoming a detective? lol

Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to see you and the bike are ok. Years ago a mate and I were riding our road bikes in town when we came round a corner to see a police car in the middle of the road with his hazard lights flashing. I moved over into the other lane and then applied brakes, my mate who was following me hit the front brakes (twin disks) and went down like a bag of $#!t. His bike slid into the cop car! I got off my bike and ran over to help my mate and the cop said be careful there is tallow^ all over the road, a truck had lost it's load on the highway. I tell you we had trouble standing up let alone moving my mate and his bike off the road.
I had been so lucky I moved out of the lane before braking whereas my mate was confused by me moving across in front of him and just jammed on the brakes.

^Tallow is a rendered form of beef or mutton fat, processed from suet. It is solid at room temperature. Unlike suet, tallow can be stored for extended periods without the need for refrigeration to prevent decomposition, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation.
Rendered fat obtained from pigs is known as lard.
Industrially, tallow is not strictly defined as beef or mutton fat. In this context, tallow is animal fat that conforms to certain technical criteria, including its melting point, which is also known as titre. It is common for commercial tallow to contain fat derived from other animals, such as pigs.

Tallow is used in animal feed, to make soap, for cooking, and as a bird food. It can be used as a raw material for the production of biodiesel and other oleochemicals. Historically, it was used to make tallow candles, which were a cheaper alternative to wax candles.
Before switching to pure vegetable oil in 1990, the McDonald's corporation cooked its french fries in a mixture of 93% beef tallow and 7% cottonseed oil.
Tallow is used in the steel rolling industry to provide the required lubrication as the sheet steel is compressed through the steel rollers. There is a trend towards replacing tallow based lubrication with synthetic oils in rolling applications for surface cleanliness reasons.
Tallow can also be used as flux for soldering.
Tallow is also the primary ingredient in some leather conditioners.
The use of tallow or lard to lubricate rifles was the spark that started the Indian Rebellion of 1857. To load the new Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle, the sepoys had to bite the cartridge open. It was believed that the paper cartridges that were standard issue with the rifle were greased with lard (pork fat) which was regarded as unclean by Muslims, or tallow (beef fat), regarded as sacred to Hindus.
Tallow, along with beeswax was also used in the creation of lubricant for American Civil War ammunition used in the Springfield Rifle Musket.

Quick Reply: KLX wipe out...fortunately no injuries...