Klx vs Ktm250 xcw and Some Ribs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Klx vs Ktm250 xcw and Some Ribs

Thought I'd post a pic or two for you guys in snow.

My bud rides a smoker ktm which he races and he is way faaast ... he competes in scrambles still....I luv his trailer setup.....

In the scrub ...ready to ride some fast sugar.

Name:  Picture007.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  105.5 KB

But first things first, its 7am .... gotta fire up the smoker I threw in his trailer.

Name:  raceday001.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  65.5 KB

Ok ..... temp looks good.

Name:  raceday003.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  56.4 KB

Smoking good.....time to ride!!! and let the ribs do their thing.

Name:  raceday004.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  45.8 KB

Good God after 64 miles of sugar sand trails I was done ..... thank god that ktm finally ran out of spare gas and we had to go back to the trailer.

I tried to take a pic of the klx sleeping after a washout and my bud goes "This ain't no adv ride..put that camera away..lets go!!" F...I needed O2, but my recent jogging and surfing has really helped and was off fast .... but no pics.

The klx with big bore, pumper and springs/valves hung really well with the ktm....I even passed him once...but that did not last long.

I was planning on getting a smoker ktm, but after sundays ride.....I realized my biggest weakness in between the footpegs and handlebars.

Back at the trailer....notice his smile...damn those ribs smelled good!!

Name:  Picture009.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  130.2 KB

Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok show off, I'm not sure what I'm more jealous of the ribs,riding,or the sun and actual site of grass!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

64 miles of sugar? Is it that difficult to ride? No doubting, just wondering.
Of course, I woulda been doing laps around the trailer and smoker, the smell of the ribs woulda kept me right there !!

Last edited by Fourty2ri; 02-17-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: cant always spell
Old 02-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the pics, those ribs look great and I bet they tasted very good after a hard ride.

I happened to ride an '05 KTM 300 this past weekend. For the first ride he had in the red powervalve spring and set for a hard hit and it sure did. Then he put in the green spring and set it up for some mellowness and it was. That kind of adjustability is pretty cool, only took him a few minutes to change out the spring, so if you want a hard hitting pull your arms out of your sockets 300cc 2stroke hit you can have it. Or if you prefer a mellow more linear powerband almost like a 4-stroke, you can have that too - it's all in the powervalve spring and adjustment. Very cool. On the handling side, it felt a whole lot more squirrelly to me, very light and wanted to turn on a dime. I could get used to that in time, but for my short ride on it, that just felt a little too unstable from what I'm used to, so I did not really wind it out too much, just up and down a sandy track a few times, but I did enough to get the flavor of it. Very cool bike.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
64 miles of sugar? Is it that difficult to ride?
Well I'll let you decide.

A hare scramble is a two hour race and most do not get much over 40 miles and thats going as fast as they can. And you are beat afterward.

Our soft florida sand is ..... well ummm ... ya decide.

Go wide open thru this while also going thru tight trees...northern sand is hard pack.

Name:  pics075.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  53.7 KB

See that lil woop/jump way back in the above pic....a closer llook at it.

Name:  2-8-07008.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  85.8 KB

Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I happened to ride an '05 KTM 300 this past weekend......
Powervalve is neat huh. All the smokers are squirelly ..... but I tried a 450 like yours and prefered the smoker offroad...all preference thou.... but squirelly is fun in sugar.

Interesting note thou...quite a few folks, bigger than me are selling their smoker 300 xc's and 450's and getting 250's or 200's smokers and posting faster times with less stress....apparantly the ergos are different

Old 02-17-2009, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I say it does look like a real bitch to ride.
I guess I have never ridden on anything even remotely like that. Must be real squirmy wormy riding, how the hell do you keep the nose planted to turn, looks like it would be real easy to lose the front?
We have some soft sand here and there, but most of the trails are hardpacked gravel or loam, which tends to hold a lot of water and makes great mud fun.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Mmmmmmmm meat! Oh and cool pics too.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice ride report. Had a good dose of sugar sand today myself, WA style. I'm still learning to nail it, only four get offs. Haha. Covered about 50Km with 2 other riding buddies. One steep rutted washed out sandpit of a hill claimed me twice but I nailed it on the 3rd attempt. Momentum is the key I'm told so I gunned it as best I could and hooked fourth gear, Yeeha. Made it. I'll post a full report later on but here's a taster.

KLX250S meets XR400R meets KTM250EXC, and lots of sand...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Momentum is the key I'm told so I gunned it as best I could and hooked fourth gear, Yeeha. Made it.
Yup, when in doubt gas it.....if you think you are going down GAS IT!!! The pumper really helps break the rear loose in da sand and get it spinning for that gyro stability effect. WA looks like fun.

Quick Reply: Klx vs Ktm250 xcw and Some Ribs