New handlebars advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New handlebars advice

Hi guys

So I have been looking and doing my research on handlebars this week, after I bent my bars last weekend. I just have a few questions to ask the experienced guys if you don't mind.

1) It seems going for 7/8 " bars is the easiest as you can use all the stock bits and just swap out the bars (except for grips of course). Is this correct, or will I need to buy other bits too?
2) With the grips, it seems enduro designs favour the diamond type design over the waffle. Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for with the grips? Construction, pattern design, rubber type, etc?
3) As bizarre as it may sound for Australia, I am considering heated grips. What I cannot figure out is heater will fit on the throttle assembly. Can anyone tell me? Are they easy to fit or a pain? Are they worth it.
4) I currently have Ego barkbusters that bolt into the stock bars. The dealer had to drill and tap holes in the end of the bars to fit them. Looking at the aftermarket bars they all seem to have open ends. Does this mean I will need to get some other form of attachment for the bar ends then? Do I need to get a new set of metals, or can I just the the end connectors?
5) I am looking for high bend bars as I am a larger fella. The Renthal 7/8" Enduro High or the RC High bars seem to be the best bets. Any suggestions for similar bars in other makes (TAG Metals, Pro Circuit, etc)?

Any other hints, tips, etc you can offer me before I go out and buy the bars - then try to fit them? Thanks guys.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

When i bent mine i wanted the thicker bars but went with 7/8 just cause its easier.

I ended up just getting a cheap bar off eBay same as these ones (same seller)

http://cars.shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?...286.m270.l1313

they are for a CRF250 but fit fine.... i think they cost me about $25 + $15 shipping. they are holding up really well and Ive smashed them heaps but they haven't bent yet.

not sure on the rest of your questions, but you'll probably need some sort of bar end for the barkbusters.

Last edited by neilapples; 07-25-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

I went the thicker bar route, was the only way to get risers... and I'd rather just not bend a bar if I can avoid it. bar was hardly more expensive than what's mentioned above, but I bought it over the counter at dealership same day and got the risers next day. Bar was around $40 I forget what the risers cost (had to get something for oversize bar anyway.) but I'm happy with how it worked out. For about the same cost on bar, it was worth it to get the bigger thing, the riser I wrote off as an upgrade mod.

And yes, you will need something else to mount on the inside of the bar ends to hold the barkbusters.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Hi guys

So I have been looking and doing my research on handlebars this week, after I bent my bars last weekend. I just have a few questions to ask the experienced guys if you don't mind.

1) It seems going for 7/8 " bars is the easiest as you can use all the stock bits and just swap out the bars (except for grips of course). Is this correct, or will I need to buy other bits too?
2) With the grips, it seems enduro designs favour the diamond type design over the waffle. Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for with the grips? Construction, pattern design, rubber type, etc?
3) As bizarre as it may sound for Australia, I am considering heated grips. What I cannot figure out is heater will fit on the throttle assembly. Can anyone tell me? Are they easy to fit or a pain? Are they worth it.
4) I currently have Ego barkbusters that bolt into the stock bars. The dealer had to drill and tap holes in the end of the bars to fit them. Looking at the aftermarket bars they all seem to have open ends. Does this mean I will need to get some other form of attachment for the bar ends then? Do I need to get a new set of metals, or can I just the the end connectors?
5) I am looking for high bend bars as I am a larger fella. The Renthal 7/8" Enduro High or the RC High bars seem to be the best bets. Any suggestions for similar bars in other makes (TAG Metals, Pro Circuit, etc)?

Any other hints, tips, etc you can offer me before I go out and buy the bars - then try to fit them? Thanks guys.
1. Bars and grips is all you need

2. What ever feels comfortable for you last set I bought was renthals

3. Never used heated grips.

4. The ego's come with the mounting kit needed for the new bars you want, ask your dealer what he did with the bits or buy a mounting kit.

5. Never used taller bars just risers

Originally Posted by jacksonriding7
I went the thicker bar route, was the only way to get risers...
wrong you can get risers for "normal" 7/8th bars I bought mine at Ballards

Last edited by MaverickAus; 07-25-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

[/QUOTE]

wrong you can get risers for "normal" 7/8th bars I bought mine at Ballards[/QUOTE]

That would make me mislead, but still very happy to have the beefier stuff regardless My local dealer didn't have anything riser in 7/8ths in his considerable books. However, it worked out just right cuz my barkbusters came with the mounts for bigger bars anyway

Old 07-25-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

For what it is worth 7/8" OD bars are 7/8" OD bars... The designation on the bars by most bar manufacturers indicate the style of bend on the bars. Thus the CRF, KXF, XR, YZF, or other label indicate the bend having different rise, pull back, and width, but all your stuff will fit. The different bikes had different bend bars. It is purely up to what is comfortable when you grab ahold of them.

Even the grips are reusable if you blow them off with air rather than cut them off. It involves putting an air gun tip down in at the flange of the grip and blowing air in, to balloon the grip. You give it a light twist to break the tension loose then slide it off. Usually works well. You can use grip cement, hair spray, or spray paint on the bar and throttle tube to attach the grips. Using air to blow them back on in the reverse fashion works great too. Grip choice is totally personal. I like the stock Kaw grips that were on my KLX650 except they make hands/gloves black. I like Superbike model grips for the street.

Another consideration - if you want a higher bar go to an ATV bend which will have usually anywhere from 2-3" more of a rise than a standard MX bike bend. Saves the cost of riser blocks. Especially useful for taller riders.

A friend who rode for Kawasaki Team Green years ago, Brock Sellards, got so tall while having to ride 80s in the amateur ranks, that they got a Renthal high rise bar bent to suit. It was nicknamed the Brock bend. Officially it was a KX80 high rise.

As for the bark busters, there are a few ways to approach this. First, see if the dealer still has the split block ramp devices that probably came with the bars. Otherwise see what the ID of the bars are and get some solid aluminum bar that will fit. Drill, tap, counterbore, angle split for the ramp effect, and install them.

Last edited by klx678; 07-25-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilapples
I ended up just getting a cheap bar off eBay same as these ones (same seller)

http://cars.shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?...286.m270.l1313

they are for a CRF250 but fit fine.... i think they cost me about $25 + $15 shipping. they are holding up really well and Ive smashed them heaps but they haven't bent yet.
Thanks for putting me onto this. I ended up getting a set for $40 off eBay which I am happy about. Very similar profile to what I was considering anyway, so didn't see the point in not getting them.

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
3. Never used heated grips.
I have decided against heated grips now - just gotta take a spoon of concrete and harden the f___ up!

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
4. The ego's come with the mounting kit needed for the new bars you want, ask your dealer what he did with the bits or buy a mounting kit.
Originally Posted by klx678
As for the bark busters, there are a few ways to approach this. First, see if the dealer still has the split block ramp devices that probably came with the bars. Otherwise see what the ID of the bars are and get some solid aluminum bar that will fit. Drill, tap, counterbore, angle split for the ramp effect, and install them.
I contacted the dealer about the end-mounts and he had the ones that came with the bark busters. I took the bars along with me when I visited and unfortunately the mounts were too small, and he didn't have any of the size I needed. Seems my Pro-taper bars inner diameter is larger than normal and I'll need to go to another store to get the kit I need. A bit annoying really, but at least I know what I need to do now. I like your suggestion klx678, but it'll probably be easier to get a barkbuster solution seeing as it exists.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Also consider some: http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk...x/06350661.jpg as an alternative to grip heaters.

I bought a set years ago and found myself moving them from bike to bike they helped so much, so bought a second set.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I am also changing out my bars but think that my throttle cables will be too short. Any advice on this?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vrede
I am also changing out my bars but think that my throttle cables will be too short. Any advice on this?
Do a search on threads and you can find details on which set-ups needed a change. In most cases the stock cables will be fine. If you do a big rise you might have to change the clutch cable IIRC

Quick Reply: New handlebars advice