KLX poor man's lunch box

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX poor man's lunch box

When I take my bike to work I wear street riding gear so I need to carry shoes, a pair of pants to change into, and a lunch. I got tired of using a back pack so I came up with a really inexpensive solution. A plastic tool box, a few fiberglass thingies, a couple of bolts, washers and wing nuts...and I'm ready to go. Total cost...around $13. It comes off and on in about 1 minute...about 2,000 miles and it hasn't come loose yet.

Attached Thumbnails KLX poor man's lunch box-klx-box-002.jpg   KLX poor man's lunch box-klx-box-009.jpg   KLX poor man's lunch box-klx-box-010.jpg   KLX poor man's lunch box-klx-box-007.jpg   KLX poor man's lunch box-klx-box-014.jpg  

Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good. Be sure to take it off before you do your weekend off-road rides.

BTW one name for those black thingies is P clips. I guess its becuase if you look at them from the side they form a P. Also called hanger loops by some. I had some projects where I needed those in stainless with rubber lineing or or coating and It took me a while to find a source without knowing what the proper names were.

Cheers Jim

Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I just bolted a pelican type case to the back Its a motard, so I don't usually do any off roading (street tires). I used 2 of the holes for the tool kit and drilled one in the metal fender bracket. I have taken it to the car wash, it stays dry inside.

David

Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Those clips are a good idea. Now I know what I'm going to use for the platform for my 'lunch bag'

Old 10-19-2010, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine was a DeWalt sander box. Bought a small 1/4 sheet RO sander and it came with the perfect size box for the tail of my KLX. I cut a sheet of aluminum and used hose clamps to secure it to the frame of the rack. Then I drilled holes for through-bolts where-ever I needed them in the aluminum plate. That way I could mount a 1.5 gal rotopack gas tank or the tail box with just a minutes work swopping bolts. The value/utility of old road signs is hard to overestimate.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow

Old 10-19-2010, 03:10 PM
rex

Originally Posted by axel
Mine was a DeWalt sander box. Bought a small 1/4 sheet RO sander and it came with the perfect size box for the tail of my KLX. I cut a sheet of aluminum and used hose clamps to secure it to the frame of the rack. Then I drilled holes for through-bolts where-ever I needed them in the aluminum plate. That way I could mount a 1.5 gal rotopack gas tank or the tail box with just a minutes work swopping bolts. The value/utility of old road signs is hard to overestimate.
I'd love to see pics of this!

Thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I just sold the bike and can't find any fotos of the box on the back but if you look here: http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...er%20carriers/

you'll see roughly what I did with the plate on the back. I drilled it for the DeWalt box bolts and to take a rotopax bracket. Looks just like the ones on the side plates.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

This is mine

It's a soft side toolbox. 17 wide x 12 deep x 12 high, with ton's of pockets.

http://www.clccustomleathercraft.com...softside1.html

Name:  IMG_0374.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0377.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0379.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  65.0 KB

Last edited by zomby woof; 10-20-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Here are a couple more shots...as long as we can carry our bananas, we're all good.

Where do you buy those Pelican boxes...I looked at a lot of hardware stores in my area and couldn't find them...do you have to buy them on line? That's why I ended up with the tool box.

Attached Thumbnails KLX poor man's lunch box-klx-box-006.jpg   KLX poor man's lunch box-storage-rack-003.jpg   KLX poor man's lunch box-storage-rack-005.jpg   KLX poor man's lunch box-storage-rack-006.jpg  

Quick Reply: KLX poor man's lunch box