KLX Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX Disappointment

I think I've found the reason people are so disappointed with the KLX's power output and suspension. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-4bTT7QxUCompare our ride to the MX brother the KX250F and its easy to see why some people might be a little underwhelmed with the performance.

I on the otherhand am quite happy, thats not to say I would turn down an extra 10 hp.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX Disappointment

yep that is what scares me when i see vids of the suspension bottoming out on the klx and the air is only like 2-3 fieet.[:@]

Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

yep that is what scares me when i see vids of the suspension bottoming out on the klx and the air is only like 2-3 fieet.[:@]
The suspension upgrades from MotoPro has totaly fixed the bottoming out and overall rideability on my KLX. It made such a difference that it doesn't ride like the same bike....... Completely different! (better)

Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusty FJ

Motorcycles arnt suppose to fly thats why they have wheels instead of wings.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:50 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

I really dont understand why some people are disappointed in their klx250. I take mine for what it is, a small cc dual sport bike. If I had wanted hp/speed and supercross suspension I would have gotten a kx250 or something else. This bike wasnt designed for tabletops, double/triple jumps on the motocross track. Its meant to trail ride and ride on the street. If you take the bike for what it is and designed for then its just fine. If it doesnt fit your needs then obviously you didnt research and buy the bike for your needs.
I personally have no regrets whatsoever.

sorry for the soapbox, but geez this gets old

Old 03-13-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

JB1 I totally agree, that was sorta the point I was trying to make. Put X in the title of something and its gotta be "awesome" when really its just a name. Like the trolls that pop up now and again or the people who bought on impulse they see a bike thats similar to the KX and expect to have a street legal ripper when what you get is a fun easy to ride user friendly machine that doesn't need to be serviced every 10 hrs of use.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I love the bike. I have a great time riding it, and spending money to make it a little better than stock. I think the KLX250s is a great starting point for a motorcycle and it is my first. I understand that some people reach a point where they want to start over with a new bike. I will probably reach that point too.That is there decision, but I hate reading about how some people are disappointed with it. That opinionmakes me andcertainly other peoplethink less of this great bike. Although, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I guess that I can choose not to read what they say evenif their opinion sucks.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

right!They just don't get what this bike is meant for.. I like most of us do "get it". it won't win the ISDE but who cares? it wasn't built to do that. they build other bikes to do that.this is a niche bike. if they don't like it they're in the wrong niche. me? i'm in the right niche. I love the bike

Old 03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I thought I replied to this thread, but I guess not, maybe I posted it in my minds eye. Anyway, I think most people that are disappointed in this bike are expecting too much. Oh sure I changed the gears and added the Muzzy and had the bike jetted, but how many of you out there are 6-1 and 240 lbs? I did it just to try and even things out a bit, and it is now an awesome bike for me. Even when the bike was brand new I wasn't like "I can't believe how gutless this thing is." After20 years of not riding............wait, that's it, maybe the guys that are disappointed in the bike's performance and power are the guys that have rode bikes throughout the years leading up to this purchase, and so are disappointed that its not better than they think it should be, while those of us that have been out of the riding loop for 15-20 years don't know what we missed and so anything is awesome, that and the fact that we are 40+ and are trading power and speed for reliability and fun without getting crazy on the trails. I mean you know what they say about turning 40, if you break something it just stays broke. But I guess its all in what you want, I mean if its rip up the track or trails going 80mph, then this is not the bike for you, but if you bought the bike to do a little street combined with getting anywhere off road that you want to go, then you will be hard pressed to find a better bike.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

As a tangent to this, I've been looking for a small (i.e. low seat height), used dual-purpose bike for my girlfriend for a while now. Ebay, local papers,swap meets(old pit bikes), you name it. I'm continually amazed at how many people buy a dual sport bike, and the first thing they do is strip off all of the lights and mirrors and then promptly lose the title. [:@] When asked, they always say the same thing - "We only rode it off-road, so we took allthat junk off". Then why didthey buy a dual sport?And I'm not talking about late '70's Honda XL's either. The last bike I looked at was a 2001 (I think)Super Sherpa - no turn signals, no mirrors, no title. Ugh!

Maybe that's what is going on. People think that they can save money by buying the KLX, but expect it to run like a KX because they think the only difference is the lights. After all, 250cc's is 250cc's, they reason. I agree thatit goes back to people not doing their homework, and the fact that most dealers won't let you ride before you buy (except for maybe in the parking lot). So once they plunk down their cash, get the bike home, and finally get a chance to whack the thottle open, they are severely disappointed. Buyer's remorse sets in, and then they start whining and moaning.

Quick Reply: KLX Disappointment