KLX Cold Blooded

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry KLX Cold Blooded

I know that it is winter and I can't drive my KLX much -we've already had over 100" of snow so far this winter. But, I like to start my bikes and if the road is clear & dry, take a quick run around the block to keep them fresh.
The problem is neither one of my 07's wants to start when it is cold out -I even put new NGK iridium plugs in both of them and keep the batteries on the trickle charge.
One is pure bone stock and the other is modified.
I put fresh premium gas and stabilizer in both of them at the start of winter and they just won't start.
Is this a function of the stock carburator?
I can start my weedeater, my lawn mower, my snow blower and my 79 Z/28 at the same temperature, in the same garage with no problems -WTF?
What am I missing?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Try draining the carb bowl then letting fresh fuel in. It seems to work in most cases. The Stabil have not completely run though the system....sometimes this procedure is needed even WITH Stabil in the fuel....don't ask me why.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

use forum search function.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Search "cold starting" on here, there are a few methods. I was skeptical but this is what has worked for me. If your riding it and you know it might be cold the next time you want to start it, shut off the gas and run it till it dies (remember to turn the key off). If you didnt run it dry last time you ran it, just drain the float bowl. I leave mine on a battery tender too. To start it, turn the gas on wait a few seconds for the bowl to fill, turn the key on, then rock the bike a couple times, and hit the start button. Has worked for me every time I try it. In my case I think the coldest I tried was 15 degrees f.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

i have the same problem with my 07,when its cold or it sits for a few weeks without starting,...looking for answers..............

Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

What tremor said.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm partial to this one, not sure why.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...=Hard+Starting

Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

Now I know some of you are asking why not just drain the bowl and then you can start the bike. Well there are two reasons. It it harder to drain the bowl by hand than to let the bike do this as it runs out of gas, and by running the gas out using the motor, it assures that all of the small areas that would otherwise still have this junk they call fuel will be empty, ready for fresh, (fresher) gas to get in and do its job. Now all of that being said, I came up to work yesterday to let my son ride the moped up on the lawn and I cranked on the bike for a few minutes, and then I thought I wonder if I can drain the bowl and do the "after thought" procedure to get this thing going? Well I drained the bowl, turned the gas back on and two kicks and it was running. Keep in mind that the moped is a two stroke, and it has been sitting up at work in a mechanical room for about 2 months. So either way, whether running the gas out using the motor so you are ready to go next time (which I think is faster and more efficient) or you drain the bowl using the screw at the bottom of the carb, the results are the same, you get your bike started.

And I even guess some people would say that this is a hassle, but I gotta tell you that cranking on a bike for 5 minutes off and on only to run the battery down and still have not started the bike is way more of a hassle than a little time taken to get ready for the next ride. This last summer I rode my bike everyday for about 3 months, and it always started right up, but there are a couple of reasons. one it was warmer out, cold weather affects fuels in a negative way, and more importantly by riding the bike everyday I had gas in the bowl that didn't have enough time to "change". Next summer I will probably go back to leaving the gas on and not draining the bowl. but on the wife's bike the procedure will always be to run it out of gas since she doesn't ride as often as I do.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

My ride is cold blooded. it is hard to start when the motor is cold (<40 degrees). When it finally fires up, it takes a while to warm to the point where it will restart easily.

After I rejetted, it started easier but didn't really fix the issue. A can of starting fluid works much better then any of the methods I have read around here. Jetting, Altitude, Humidity, EPA gasoline, etc. all seem to be at play causing different people in different locations different problems resulting in different solutions.

Quick Reply: KLX Cold Blooded