KLX + acerbis 3.7 gal tank install

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX + acerbis 3.7 gal tank install

Looking for first hand advice from KLX owners that have installed an ACERBIS tank.

Any tips or tricks to a semi simple install??

Wire harnesses to be moved?

Cooling fan / radiator mods

The best way to deal with the "choke issue"?

Any help is appreciated.

Bike is a 2006 KLX 250S.

Last edited by horizonod; 12-08-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

What year do you have?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Excuse me while my brain fart registers............

2006 KLX 250.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think there is a choke issue with your year bike. The installation is pretty straight forward. Here is a link if you want to get all the fuel out of the wings. It works really well.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...02#post6856102

Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

AWESOME LINK MAN...THANX!!

I'd worry a little about future gas leaks and if the tubing vibrates ar rattles in the tank. I may have missed something but is the tubing end weighted to keep it in the on the bottom of the tank?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

No it is not weighted. You just slide it in from the petcock hole, first one side then the other. I pushed them both right in and then pushed a third piece up fromt he petcock hole straight up through the filler hole. I used a long pair of forceps (a mechanics grabber will work) to reach inside the tank, and bring the ends of the tubing out of the filler hole. I put the T on and pulled the third piece back out of the petcock hole and installed the new outlet, (in your case it would be the Acerbis petcock). Does that make sense??

Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

My Acerbis tank arrived ON TIME!! Thanks for coming through www.justgastanks.com.

A dry fit looks like it will just drop into place with no choke or fan interferance. AWESOME FIT!! Hoo Ray!!

Fuel in the wings being usable ??. The wings are slightly lower than the rest of the tank with exception of the recess for the petcock. On a bike standing still I can see the fuel in the wings not being usable and staying in the wings. Wouldn't the fuel in the wings get sloshed back into the petcock recess while riding? It seems a couple of jukes on the throttle or a little incline would force a wave of gas back into the petcock recess.

It also looks like Acerbis could virtually elliminate the "wing" problem AND increase the capacity of the tank but reducing the "swoop" between the wings and the rear of the tank.

It also seems feasable to simply tap into each wing and run tubing directly from the bottom of the wings to a T at the lower part of the petcock recess if a person were careful routing the tubing.

Has anybody tried or considered any of these options or is the pump idea the way to go?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I have heard of people tapping the bottom of the wings, I thought of doing that but was worried about the outlets being vulnerable to getting knocked off in a crash.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I considered that too. In looking at it I think a barbed "L" could be tucked up underneath the tank on both sides, run to a "T" then run to the petcock recess.

Putting extra holes in a gas tank is never something I'm real comfortable with.

What do you think about the "sloshing" theory? Wouldn't the gas flow back into the petcock recess with exceleration or the bike being at an uphill angle?

Another fuel increase tweak. My new tank seems to have fairly concave walls on the outter wings. Would it be feasable to gently heat the tank side and put a little air preasure in it to curve the sides out more convex and let it cool that way.

Last edited by horizonod; 12-12-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
I considered that too. In looking at it I think a barbed "L" could be tucked up underneath the tank on both sides, run to a "T" then run to the petcock recess.

Putting extra holes in a gas tank is never something I'm real comfortable with.

What do you think about the "sloshing" theory? Wouldn't the gas flow back into the petcock recess with exceleration or the bike being at an uphill angle?

Another fuel increase tweak. My new tank seems to have fairly concave walls on the outter wings. Would it be feasable to gently heat the tank side and put a little air preasure in it to curve the sides out more convex and let it cool that way.
I don't think the sloshing theory holds any water..er gas.
I don't think I would want to mess about heating the tank. 3.7 gallons is a fair bit of fuel.

Quick Reply: KLX + acerbis 3.7 gal tank install