Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   KLX 331 Mod on 2013 250S (Fuel Injected) (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/klx-331-mod-2013-250s-fuel-injected-41137/)

kwakajack04 10-20-2013 10:28 AM

KLX 331 Mod on 2013 250S (Fuel Injected)

Just got hold of a 2013 KLX 250S Fuel injected model. I'm going to do a 331 upgrade to it. As the bike stands now it is 100% stock with just over 500 miles on it.

I have a shopping list for parts, is there anything i'm missing here to get the job done?

Kustom kraft 331 big bore kit
Two Brothers M-7 exhaust
Power Commander and auto tune kit

Surely there must be more to it than that?

Advice please. :-)

Nikolaj Lykke 10-20-2013 11:50 AM

Thats pretty much all you need.... that and a nice workshop with good tools. Be sure to get the workshop manual so you know the proper torque values for the bolts and such.

I did a 300cc upgrade recently, although with an EJK controller.
I didnt even add an exhaust. Kit was installed and the controller was added and it fired up immedietly with no problems.

With the autotune kit, I think you need to be able to weld the o2 sniffer into the exhaust. I think the PCV kit comes with an o2 sensor eliminator, if not, you need to get that too. Also I hope you are prepared for the loudness of the Two Bros exhaust!

Also, its a lot easier if you get a map from someone who already has a 331kit, so you dont have to start making a completely new map. I think JoelThailand is the only guy with a PCV 331 setup as Jeffwad only runs a 300 kit? Graham also has a 331 set up, but he uses the EJK like me. Try sending Joel a PM and ask nicely if he wants to share his map :)

Some people also put stiffer clutch springs when doing a big bore. On my 300 BB I havent felt it was neccesary and you can always do it later if you think you need it...ofc you can also add the webcams if you feel like going all out!

It might also be worth it to do some airbox mods as they are fairly cheap. Uni/TwinAir filter and a KDX200 Snorkel or a completely removed airbox lid is what most people do. Cheap upgrades and certainly makes a difference.

Also if you have access to a Dyno you should do that! I am sure a lot of people on the board here would be very very interested in the results.

Good luck! Let us know about the results :)

JoelThailand 10-20-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by kwakajack04 (Post 502566)
Just got hold of a 2013 KLX 250S Fuel injected model. I'm going to do a 331 upgrade to it. As the bike stands now it is 100% stock with just over 500 miles on it.

I have a shopping list for parts, is there anything i'm missing here to get the job done?

Kustom kraft 331 big bore kit
Two Brothers M-7 exhaust
Power Commander and auto tune kit

Surely there must be more to it than that?

Advice please. :-)

That's pretty much it!! I had to fit stronger clutch springs, as the extra power was getting some slippage at high rpm!
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...small-2899.jpg

Are you sure you can handle the obnoxiously loud TBR M7 exhaust?? The fmf Q4 delivers the same power & sounds good, except your neighbors & the police will a lot happier with you!!

Engine wise you will be ok & that's pretty much it!! I can send you a couple of PCv MAPS to play with. The only other thing is the bike is like a rocking horse made of jelly unless you weigh less than 140lbs....the stock springs are useless but that's another story.

grahamgower 10-20-2013 04:57 PM

That is actually all you really need and maybe a 20 buck Uni air filter to get some more air in the little beast.
I wish someone had told me that before I emptied a wheelbarrow of cash on mine.

Nikolaj Lykke 10-20-2013 05:45 PM

This board really has a couple of pioneers when it comes to EFI KLX250 modding. Thanks to 3-4 people here documenting their modding, the rest of us have a really easy time upgrading our bikes. There is so much valuable information to be found. There is no guesswork involved anymore.

It seems there are only two mysteries left on the EFI KLX250
1) Does the 351 kit work with the stock injector?
2) How to get the bike to continue pulling after 8000 rpm. (Ignition advance I think its called)

kwakajack04 10-21-2013 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

I'm looking in to the airbox and filters, is there a particular year that will fit the 2013 KLX? Joel, I will be in contact in the near future about maps and some more information (I live in Thailand too). To be fair I actually got most of my information from this forum, after a lot of reading about changing the fuel injection system or taking it out completely and installing a carb, I just wanted to make sure I was getting it right.

Seems a little more straight forward tghan when the fuel injected model was new.

Any other input welcome, positive or negative.

Thanks again.

Nikolaj Lykke 10-21-2013 08:33 AM

This is the part number for the KDX200 snorkel: 14073-1577.
Uni or Twinair foam filter can be had from many shops. Google will help you there.

And yeah, no need to replace the EFI system at all! Powercommander and EJK are both proven to work and with my experiences from the EJK, its easier than dealing with a carb.

grahamgower 10-21-2013 08:50 AM

Getting back to the 2 mysteries. I believe the 351 will work with the stock injectors. The extra 20 cc should not make much difference. The EJK has the ability to add the tiny bit more fuel you would need without maxing out the injector opening and closing time.
As for more revs, just add more cash. Simple. Webcams 101 grind will give you an extra 500 revs of pull. Mine revs out easily to 10K but the power does drop at 8.5.
Want even more? Go for Kibble white larger valves, ported head and a more aggressive Webcam grind. Need more? Get a programmable ECU to advance timing.
Still lusting for more? Go down the road to the dealer and get a 450.

JoelThailand 10-21-2013 10:20 AM

2) How to get the bike to continue pulling after 8000 rpm. (Ignition advance I think its called
My bike will rev to the 10,000+rpm limiter in all 6 gears & I haven't changed the ignition timing! 10,000rpm in top gear = 163km/h on the clock with my gearing.

This is the part number for the KDX200 snorkel: 14073-1577.
Uni or Twinair foam filter can be had from many shops. Google will help you there.
If you live in Thailand then buy a Boss175 snorkel for 150 Bart (5 usd) it fits & is available at Kawasaki. Also available easily in Thailand is the DNA performance air filter from all the performance bike shops in BKK.
These shops sell KLX D-Tracker stuff & will EMS them to anywhere in Thailand from Bangkok:
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...66%26bih%3D643, I can recommend Kittisak racing & AP shop racing but everyone on the classifieds on this forum is legit.

You will have to block off the Pair Valve if you use AutoTune, as you will get a fake 02 sensor reading if you don't.

ol'klx-er 10-21-2013 04:59 PM

Don't the European bikes need a clutch switch mod to rev out in the higher gears?

Nikolaj Lykke 10-21-2013 05:06 PM

Yeah they do. You have to shortcircut the clutch lever switch to allow the bike to rev over 7500rpm in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. Easy mod that takes a minute to do and costs nothing. I think we all assumed that he already did this mod because its the first thing anyone buying an EFI KLX should do.

I think a lot of people here in Denmark dont know about the mod though. I constantly see KLX for sale with top speed listed as 110 km/h, which is the top speed if you dont do the clutch mod...Man those guys must be dissapointed when buying this bike, lol.

KawasakiCrewChief 10-23-2013 10:32 PM

This is awesome info gentlemen, thanks. I've been going a little crazy because I bought my bike nearly a week ago from the dealer, however I live in Japan (which means my manual is Japanese) and unfortunately I don't read Kanji or Katakana. Now I don't mean to thread-jack, but I was wondering if you guys in Thialand had access to English EFI manuals? Again, thanks for the information and mod ideas!

Nikolaj Lykke 10-23-2013 11:09 PM

EFI Manual can be found here in this thread:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-manual-37294/

Here is a direct link:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7994391/klx250.pdf

JoelThailand 10-24-2013 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by KawasakiCrewChief (Post 502726)
This is awesome info gentlemen, thanks. I've been going a little crazy because I bought my bike nearly a week ago from the dealer, however I live in Japan (which means my manual is Japanese) and unfortunately I don't read Kanji or Katakana. Now I don't mean to thread-jack, but I was wondering if you guys in Thialand had access to English EFI manuals? Again, thanks for the information and mod ideas!

If importing parts for your bike is getting expensive with duty/tax etc, you have a company in Japan that supplies a wide range of performance parts for the klx-S-SF/D-Tracker. I have bought some Zeta parts from them & can recommend them:
KAWASAKI D-TRACKER-X Custom Parts and Customer Reviews This company also have their own 315 big bore kit with fuel controller from Beet & Nassert, if you want to be different!

Nikolaj Lykke 10-24-2013 07:11 AM

Very interesting site Joel. I wonder how good those different types of fuel controllers they have work. They seem to offer two kinds "Special Agent Negotiator-I Injection controller" and "BEET NASSERT Bore up 315 cc Support Injection controller Kit"

They seem super expensive though. Over 700 dollars for the Beet controller!

I am also kinda interested in the Beet injector, obviouisly the stock one works, but maybe the Beet injector is more efficient?

JoelThailand 10-24-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke (Post 502750)
They seem super expensive though. Over 700 dollars for the Beet controller!

I am also kinda interested in the Beet injector, obviouisly the stock one works, but maybe the Beet injector is more efficient?

The Beet injector is not a special item, just a slightly larger flowing keihen injector (same make as original). This item does not seem to matter with the 331 & I would stick my neck out & say the stock injector could handle a 351 jug! I've accidentally had my bike running at a super rich 10.5afr at 10,500rpm & the bike didn't like it at all....lol. But it does show that it could easily power a 351 if required.

The Beet/Nassert big bore & controller is a fully programmable racing system for the Jap market & is a tad expensive IMHO. But free shipping & no tax/duty to pay if you live in Japan.

KawasakiCrewChief 10-24-2013 12:01 PM

More great stuff, thanks. Honestly, I hate being the pioneer when it is risking my wallet, so I'll probably just end up waiting a year and watching bikes with mods similar to the ones I'm thinking I want. I feel I need to take a year of hard analytical examination of the stock platform to really zero in on things I am interested in modifying. Learn from others mistakes and go for needs, not whimsical wants. Plus, if I try to spend anymore money on it in the next six months I'll be murdered by my wife...Thanks again!

Nikolaj Lykke 10-24-2013 12:10 PM

You dont need to be a pioneer.

Big boring an EFI KLX/D-Trackers has been done many times with no issues. This is my first bike and have no mechanical experience whatsoever and I still managed to big bore an EFI KLX and get it up and running.

kwakajack04 12-06-2013 05:51 AM

Well the project is off to a flying start, NOT!

The first items on my shopping list are starting to filter through the postal service and land on my doorstep. Arriving today was a DRC Edge2 kit. I was pretty happy, and just about to look in to fitting it, then I read the sticker on the front of the packaging. 'This product can not be used with stock flashers. Please use 8mm flasher fitting bolt' WTF? So now I have to get some flashers before I can get cracking. pretty disappointed, but I guess I should have done a better job on my homework!

Question: What flashers to order? DRC Type 601?

Question part two: Anywhere in Thailand sell them?

Cheers again for any help.

Edit; Done some googling and found the DRC 601 flashers, going to fit front and rear, now I'm reading I need to also buy a different relay and some wiring kit to get them working correctly.

relay? http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-69/index.html

Wiring kit? http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-91/index.html

and some holder for the front flashers? http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-59-90/index.html

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

grahamgower 12-06-2013 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=kwakajack04;504278]Well the project is off to a flying start, NOT!

The first items on my shopping list are starting to filter through the postal service and land on my doorstep. Arriving today was a DRC Edge2 kit. I was pretty happy, and just about to look in to fitting it, then I read the sticker on the front of the packaging. 'This product can not be used with stock flashers. Please use 8mm flasher fitting bolt' WTF? So now I have to get some flashers before I can get cracking. pretty disappointed, but I guess I should have done a better job on my homework!

The standard flashers work perfectly well with the standard bracket, just fiddle around a bit. I cannot remember exactly how I did mine as I am not near my bike now, but maybe an extra couple of longer bolts as I recall did the trick. Play around and you will figure it out. If you don't manage I will take some pics of my setup.

JoelThailand 12-06-2013 05:22 PM

Smoked lens drc 602 led indicators look way better IMO. There are a dozen led indicator sets to chose from that will fit these days.

I don't know anyone that bothered with the relay! The led will flash quicker without the relay but it just helps makes you look more visible on the road.

kwakajack04 12-07-2013 12:31 AM

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I presume from that it's okay to change the rear and leave the front as stock then? Thanks.

Just looking in to the 602's now, I might have a go at mounting the stock blinkers back on to the edge unit for the time being, as ni doubt the new blinkers will take 10 - 14 days to arrive here.

JoelThailand 12-07-2013 01:41 AM

A mate of mine got these led's on his bike:
Signal LED RZM. 1.
Code: 001547

K-Speed in Bangkok sends out products over night by EMS post, i've bought loads of stuff from them. Very quick & reliable!

???????????? LED k_speed - k-speed

kwakajack04 12-07-2013 07:29 AM

cheers, Joel. I have just been to the local Somchai motocye store and picked up a set for B200. They will do until the ones I ordered (601 smoked) from ebay come through.

kwakajack04 12-14-2013 08:22 AM

I just fitted the TBR M7 and it's way too loud so I have ordered a P1X power tip and I'm hoping this makes it a little less obnoxious sounding.

Smell of burning from the exhaust too. I'm hoping this is just because it's new???

JoelThailand 12-14-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by kwakajack04 (Post 504506)
I just fitted the TBR M7 and it's way too loud so I have ordered a P1X power tip and I'm hoping this makes it a little less obnoxious sounding.

Smell of burning from the exhaust too. I'm hoping this is just because it's new???

I tried the PIX on my TBR & it made almost no difference to the obnoxious noise & I sold it on & got an FMF Q4 as quickly as possible. My friend has got a P4 tip which makes the exhaust almost ok to ride....still to loud for my liking.

Sorry to put a downer on your exhaust! :cool:

kwakajack04 12-15-2013 12:53 AM

Cheers for the reply, Joel. The TBR is too loud for the streets in my opinion. Whats the noise like of a FMF Q4 in comparison? Db levels?

JoelThailand 12-15-2013 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by kwakajack04 (Post 504522)
Cheers for the reply, Joel. The TBR is too loud for the streets in my opinion. Whats the noise like of a FMF Q4 in comparison? Db levels?

The TBR is ridiculously loud & would seriously have annoyed my neighbors, I considered myself lucky not to be arrested by the police!! 100+Db even at low rpm. The PIX tip was a bitter disappointment & I was very glad I bought it (PIX) a month before I got the TBR exhaust. I had the exhaust on the bike for half a day & took it off asap so I could sell it back to the shop here minus 10%....very lucky!!

The FMF Q4 sounds great, nice little thumper noise. You can ride quietly at low rpms & can make a decent noise a high rpms when required. I would guess low 90'sDb when pottering around. I've had the Q4 for nearly 2 years now & very happy with it. Did a $20 re-pack at 10,000km last year which probably wasn't needed but it was only a 2hr job all the same. :cool:

The trouble with watching Youtube videos on the TBR is it's so loud the microphones on phones & compact cameras just don't record that loud. :eek:

kwakajack04 12-19-2013 05:10 AM

Just finished fitting the edge2. Here's a before and after pic if anyone is interested.

http://s25.postimg.org/reuafrzcb/tmp...1145522762.jpg

http://s25.postimg.org/qf3zk2k6j/tmp...1184512600.jpg

preben lassen 02-17-2014 05:18 PM

Power Comander

Hi Joel

I am the happy owner of klx 250 and i have been very happy to going off road here in Thailand (Jomtien). I already did some mods such as, full exhaust system, air filter, Power Comander and the clutch thing.
I just order a 331 cc Big bore kit from Bill Blue and then i would like to ask you if you like to share some Power Comander maps with me?

Best Regards
Preben Lassen

E-mail: Prebenlomholt@gmail.com

Originally Posted by JoelThailand (Post 502570)
That's pretty much it!! I had to fit stronger
clutch springs, as the extra power was getting some slippage at high rpm!
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...small-2899.jpg

Are you sure you can handle the obnoxiously loud TBR M7 exhaust?? The fmf Q4 delivers the same power & sounds good, except your neighbors & the police will a lot happier with you!!

Engine wise you will be ok & that's pretty much it!! I can send you a couple of PCv MAPS to play with. The only other thing is the bike is like a rocking horse made of jelly unless you weigh less than 140lbs....the stock springs are useless but that's another story.

JoelThailand 02-19-2014 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by preben lassen (Post 506463)
Hi Joel

I am the happy owner of klx 250 and i have been very happy to going off road here in Thailand (Jomtien). I already did some mods such as, full exhaust system, air filter, Power Comander and the clutch thing.
I just order a 331 cc Big bore kit from Bill Blue and then i would like to ask you if you like to share some Power Comander maps with me?

Best Regards
Preben Lassen

E-mail: Prebenlomholt@gmail.com

Hi Preben, I can pass on a selection of PCv 331 MAPS onto to you. I'll email you a 12.8, 13.0 & 13.2 AFR MAPS for you to try.

Just remember all my MAPS were created with WEBCAMS101 grind fitted, so it won't be a perfect plug n play MAP!! The 101 grind has slightly raised power curve etc. Be prepared to manually adjust any imperfections in the MAP for your bike....this could take some time!

The Bill Blue 331 kit comes with Pair Valve (clean air) block off plate, it's a good idea to fit it, as it will stop all the decel popping

preben lassen 02-19-2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JoelThailand (Post 506510)
Hi Preben, I can pass on a selection of PCv 331 MAPS onto to you. I'll email you a 12.8, 13.0 & 13.2 AFR MAPS for you to try.

Just remember all my MAPS were created with WEBCAMS101 grind fitted, so it won't be a perfect plug n play MAP!! The 101 grind has slightly raised power curve etc. Be prepared to manually adjust any imperfections in the MAP for your bike....this could take some time!

The Bill Blue 331 kit comes with Pair Valve (clean air) block off plate, it's a good idea to fit it, as it will stop all the decel popping

Hi again Joel

That will be very nice and i will look forward get the maps from you and then i can go from there.

Now i just wait for my friend to send the BB kit to me( 1-2 weeks).
He will send it as a sample to me, so i can save the import tax (hopefully).

When i have the big bore up and running i will let you know how it works and thanks a lot, i know that you done lot of work with you Kawa for many years now, you are a pioneer.

All the best

Preben

JoelThailand 02-21-2014 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by preben lassen (Post 506520)

When i have the big bore up and running i will let you know how it works and thanks a lot, i know that you done lot of work with you Kawa for many years now, you are a pioneer.

I think Pioneer sits nicely between Guinea Pig & Cash Cow!! :rolleyes:

Stiffen up the suspension & bolt on a 331 big bore kit & it transforms into a very enjoyable bike.

Good luck with the install :cool:

preben lassen 04-17-2014 10:03 AM

Hi Joel
Finally i got my big bore kit from Bill Blue 2 months after i ordered it.

But but when i opened the box it was the 351 cc kit!!! and now the big question can it work or do i have to send it back and change to 331 cc.

There is a Dyno test here in Pattaya maybe they can make it running good ? I will go there tomorrow and ask them if they can do.

Any suggestion?

Regards

Preben

Richard Avatar 04-17-2014 10:48 PM

I think there's no reason it won't work. Other members with newer KLXs have done the 351.

My 331 is still more than 2 mos away alas. Living overseas has its drawbacks.

- Or hang onto yours for a few months and I'll fly over from the Philippines and swap ya!

haha

JoelThailand 04-18-2014 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by preben lassen (Post 509401)
Hi Joel
Finally i got my big bore kit from Bill Blue 2 months after i ordered it.

But but when i opened the box it was the 351 cc kit!!! and now the big question can it work or do i have to send it back and change to 331 cc.

There is a Dyno test here in Pattaya maybe they can make it running good ? I will go there tomorrow and ask them if they can do.

Any suggestion?

Regards

Preben

Hi Preben,

I just emailed you 3 different MAPS for a rich 331. I'm almost certain the 351 will work. Don't panic, just get it fitted & start playing with fuel cells on the power commander!

You might need to richen up these MAPS a little bit for the 351.....but it's only 20cc more.

Up to 60% throttle position my MAPS should be pretty good. The 3 MAPS are pretty rich for webcam101 performance camshafts & my airbox has a bigger snorkel with extra holes drilled.

It's quite easy to add 5-10% more fuel to a group of fuel cells. Keep saving new MAPS until your happy. Spend some time watching Power commander 5 tutorials on Youtube.

Good luck :cool:

J

Nikolaj Lykke 04-18-2014 09:14 AM

Hey Preben!

Your name sounds Danish, are you Danish? So am I :)

Anyway, let us know about the 351cc kit on the EFI KLX. I am sure we are all interested in how it runs, it would be cool to get confirmation that it can be made to run smoothly.

grahamgower 04-18-2014 02:23 PM

At last, an EFI 351 Guinea Pig! At least one that is on Forum. Suddenly the Forum comes alive again!

preben lassen 04-19-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nikolaj Lykke (Post 509455)
Hey Preben!

Your name sounds Danish, are you Danish? So am I :)

Anyway, let us know about the 351cc kit on the EFI KLX. I am sure we are all interested in how it runs, it would be cool to get confirmation that it can be made to run smoothly.

Hej Nikolaj

Ja, jeg er dansk og bor i Thailand og jeg ser frem til at jeg får det monteret og at det virker.

Preben

preben lassen 04-19-2014 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by grahamgower (Post 509469)
At last, an EFI 351 Guinea Pig! At least one that is on Forum. Suddenly the Forum comes alive again!

Lets see Graham, i hope that it will work for me!!!:)