KLX 250s Horsepower confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 AM
Default KLX 250s Horsepower confusion

I have seen 18 to 28 hp on this bike, 25-30 years ago when I rode a Kaw and Honda 4 stroke enduro 250 the Honda had 18 at the crank and the Kaw had 18-21 but these bikes had 2 valves per cylinder so I would expect more now. I am waiting to purchase this 250s (when my money is right) The owner of the bike shop showed me the title on this bike and it clearly states 28 hp on the title and I would guess thatsat thecrank. 28 is quite good for a 250 enduro and I should be happy with it.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KLX 250s Horsepower confusion

I'm holding my title right here and the only numbers on there for specs is the weight. The service manual shows 28 PS which is a different power rating, this bike from the factory has 17-18 hp at the rear wheel, been dyno verified a few times, in mags and on dirt bike tv. Stock the 250 is what it is, an ok all arounder. With a few mods such as removing the snorkel, rejetting, and any pipe of your choice its a fun do it all, aside from interstate, bike. I'm not trying to come off as harsh, I'm tired and not formulating full thoughts very clearly. Take the bike for a spin if you can, only you will know if you will like it.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the information, is that just not strange that your title says nothing and the title the guy showed me was 28 hp but like you said if it is not the same units it is useless. If I go to a 331 will it vibrate more being that I did not change the counter balance weight?

Old 05-10-2007, 04:49 AM

28 HP is at the crank. All motorcycle manufactures use this to measure HP. It is very optimistic just like the weight figures they put out. Kawasaki claimed 185 HP for the zx10r. I have spenta lot of moneyfixing mine up and I now have 172 at the wheel. It had 163 when I started. The KLXhas much more power than the Honda dual sports of 25-30 years ago. So the claimed 18 for the Honda back then is comparable to the 28 Kawasakistates for the HP.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

hmmmmm, I'd be interested to actually see 28 at the crank. If this is true, my new DRZ must be making close to 45 at the crank, because it's dynoed at 35 rwhp.
That's sounds about right for a DRZ. You seem like a pretty articulate fella, but it's amazing how long you've taken to finally grasp the difference between CS and rear wheel HP....or maybe you were just ignoring my lectures? NAW!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Rick, I noticed a slight increase in buzziness and vibration at highway speeds with my 331 cylinder.
Nothing drastic though.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35096766547755

Naw. No power wheelies, even with a 331. Yeah, Right.

Rick, maybe this info will be helpful.
As for what it cost to get more horsepower, there are a number of routes to take. If you want to keep your bike as a great woods weapon rather than an all out motocrosser, you will want it to make power down low and to pull to a reasonable rpm. If you want maximum, high rpm power, the cost goes up significantly.

The KLX does very well with a big bore, good air filter, exhaust and carb. Cams and headwork help at higher rpms, but don't make as much difference down low. The difference between my bike with cams and headwork and Brian's, same setup only nothing above the head gasket, is negligable. I am still in the research phaze, but you will benifit from knowing that it isn't all that expensive to get good performance from your KLX. You should be able to have your cylinder bored or purchase a servicable 300 cylinder and have it done for under $500.00. Check with Bill Blue on his Mikuni TM 34 Pumper, but I think it can be had for $350.00 or less. Air filters aren't expensive, nor is a better flowing KLX 300 exhaust. That's about all you need to get well over an honest 25 rear wheel horsepower. With that, I'll assure you, it will do power wheelies, if that's what you're after.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Quick Reply: KLX 250s Horsepower confusion