KLX 250 Outlasts KTM 525 on Trek

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default You're the man.

Yeah I can read marginally well.
I'm not trying to argue a mute point only attempting to understand your logic.

That would be real nice (aka: a pipe dream) if you can get $5,500 for it.
I can buy a brand new 07 DRZ400 for under $5k OTD at my local Suzuki shop, $4,650 OTD for a new leftover 2006 not sure what their fees are and I really don't care since it's the out-the-door figure I work with “Just tell me how much to make the check out for”. For the small sum that you may save wouldn’t it just be better to own the bike that like the best? Or are you just that short on cash? Nothing to be ashamed about.

Well good luck into getting that new KLX that you hate us all so much for owning, I also look forward to your informative posts.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: You're the man.

It is a DR-Z400S at Honda-Suzuki of Salt Lake.

I admire you so much, please don't ruin it for me.............pretty please.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member

NoBrakes - Yeah, my brothers KTM is an 07 model. I'll pass your words of wisdom on to him.

He's out of town working and took his bike with him (1000+ miles away) and the thing flat out quit running after about 15 minutes of use. He took it to the local KTM dealer and first they said that he probably left the choke on and thats why it died. He went out again and same thing happened. This time they told him its jetted way too rich, not lean and they recommended that he change the jetting. This seems totally screwed as he has not done a single mod to the bike and has less than 100 miles on it.

To add insult to injury they charged him nearly $400 for their diagnosis. I think KTM's are hot but his experience has me thinking twice about ever upgrading to one, especially considering that a 450 or 525 EXC cost about $12,000 (taxes in) up in Canada.

Glad your experience has been better than his.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

that's crap. isn't there any type of warranty on those bikes? and your brother actually paid these thieves?
+1 to that..... there should be at least a year warranty, if it overheats and quits running and you havent done a single thing to it how is it your fault and you have to pay for it? and 400$ thats crazy.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kevin 11

NoBrakes - Yeah, my brothers KTM is an 07 model. I'll pass your words of wisdom on to him.

He's out of town working and took his bike with him (1000+ miles away) and the thing flat out quit running after about 15 minutes of use. He took it to the local KTM dealer and first they said that he probably left the choke on and thats why it died. He went out again and same thing happened. This time they told him its jetted way too rich, not lean and they recommended that he change the jetting. This seems totally screwed as he has not done a single mod to the bike and has less than 100 miles on it.

To add insult to injury they charged him nearly $400 for their diagnosis. I think KTM's are hot but his experience has me thinking twice about ever upgrading to one, especially considering that a 450 or 525 EXC cost about $12,000 (taxes in) up in Canada.
There is a carb overflow catch tank tucked in down by the swingarm. It's there to catch fuel from the carburetor if you take a spill or or drain the float bowl. There is a little bolt on the bottom to drain it - I'll bet 10 to 1 that is the problem. If the catch tank fills up, the carb can't breathe.

On the plus side, the carb venting is a nice sealed system - the other vent goes up to the frame and thus the carb lines won't be blocked off in water crossings, i.e., no need for the "T" mod.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's a photo:

Drain that tank, and I'll bet that "fixes" your brother's bike. Some people recommend removing the drain bolt entirely, but I kind've like the setup, just be sure to drain it if you take a spill and check it periodically.

Do be sure and do the basic mods, though. All the street legal bikes come stopped up from the factory so I'm sure he'll be much happier with a JD Jet Kit + O-ring mod, JD AP diaphram pump, derestrict the stock pipe, remove the smog stuff, and re-gear for off-road.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yea thats what happened in NJ right brian? Ran like crap till that was drained.... after you tried to cross the rolling log....... lol

Quick Reply: KLX 250 Outlasts KTM 525 on Trek