Kickstand sensor heads up

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks for posting this! As to the potential safety issues, I was riding on the 520 floating bridge here in Seattle yesterday when the engine died because (I think) of this switch. Heavy, afternoon traffic, no shoulder, no hazard lights, 60 mph to no power...bad news.

Just one of those things you don't think of until you have an entire bridge full of traffic baring down on you because you're stopping for no apparent reason. I think I'll bypass this "safety" for now.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Speaking of riding off with the kick stand down, I did that the other day as I left the post office. First time in 4 and a half and 14,000 miles that I forgot to kick it back up. For those worried that they might ride off with it down, that really is a decision that you have to make yourself. The liability is too high for any of us to say yes or no. If you do decide to bypass the switch all you have to do is take off the seat, follow the 2 wires up, unplug the switch from the circuit and plug in the 2 wires coming from the harness. That will close the circuit. Problem solved.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddubb324
Thanks for posting this! As to the potential safety issues, I was riding on the 520 floating bridge here in Seattle yesterday when the engine died because (I think) of this switch. Heavy, afternoon traffic, no shoulder, no hazard lights, 60 mph to no power...bad news.

Just one of those things you don't think of until you have an entire bridge full of traffic baring down on you because you're stopping for no apparent reason. I think I'll bypass this "safety" for now.
Yeah that would not be good on that bridge. I guess I never thought of that till you posted your experience. I guess that the great thing about living in a town with one stoplight. A traffic jam is when 2 cars get to the 4 way stop at the same time. Hey the other day while riding the KLX to work on my brutal 2 mile commute, I actually saw another car....it was a half mile away, but still.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

What am I Henny Youngman?.......

Suddenly realizing how old that reference is, deej tries to cover his tracks by stating... "that was some old guy my grandpa told me about"

Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Or Rodney Dangerfield.....now he was funny.....ok sorry for the thread jack....as you were...LOL

Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I just took my stand right off and lean my bike against the nearest car when I park.

Just ****ting you, but I think the switch is more of a hazard when it is connected.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking about takeing mine off soon as I got the bike. Then after the second time I stopped the bike put the kickstand down and got off leaving the key on for a while becuase the kickstand killed the engine & I plain old forgot I removed the switch completly.
Cheers Jim

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I connected the clutch circuit wires on my bike too, one less thing to go bad when your in the woods. Just make sure your always in neutral or pull the clutch in to start it.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I connected the clutch circuit wires on my bike too, one less thing to go bad when your in the woods. Just make sure your always in neutral or pull the clutch in to start it.
Not a bad idea. The less parts installed the less than can break LOL. I defeated my clutch circuit on my civic a while back to put in a remote start, just gotta remember to keep it in neutral or else it tends to take off/burn out the starter when you push the start button

Oh and for everyone else FYI. You can easily tell how to defeat an interlock using the electrical schematics and electrical connections in the service manual. They will tell you what switch contacts close or open when the kickstand is up/down and clutch is pulled in/released. From there its pretty easy to figure out whether you need to jumper the connections or disconnect them.

Cheers!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Another benefit of modifying the clutch circuit, is that you can use any aftermarket clutch perch and lever. I havent done that yet, but you can.

Quick Reply: Kickstand sensor heads up