kickstand/frame woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default kickstand/frame woes

so now that im on the bike full time again, it desides to break on me in the oddest of ways, the kickstand where it is welded to the frame broke at the weld and tore some of the sheet metal and now i have to lean the bike up against stuff 24/7. kinda a pain in the *** daily riding. anyone else have this happen?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

yes i know, pics or it didnt happen...

Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Can't see the pics from work, but I believe you...

Is there any other damage around that area... like bashing into a rock, or something else that may have weakened it??? Mine seems VERY sturdy in that area. Haven't heard of anyone else having issues.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

no real bashing damage, i think its more the age/abuse of the bike showing threw. i did notice like it seamed to lean more in recent history but it was so slow i never really thought anything of it, when it was probably the start of this.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
yes i know, pics or it didnt happen...
lol

Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like the weld didn't penetrate the circular piece very well. Shouldn't be too hard to get it welded back on.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

One of the very few things about this bike that I haven't liked is the kickstand design. It sticks out stupidly far for a dirt bike and appears downright dangerous under the right circumstances and crashes. Punken, if I were in your shoes, I'd take the opportunity to do something like a KTM-style stand welded on there.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
One of the very few things about this bike that I haven't liked is the kickstand design. It sticks out stupidly far for a dirt bike and appears downright dangerous under the right circumstances and crashes. Punken, if I were in your shoes, I'd take the opportunity to do something like a KTM-style stand welded on there.
im intreged, please tell me about this ktm stand you speak of. really, i dont know how they are different. is this the stand that come down from the swingarm?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Bumping old thread because I have the same problem - except that my old kickstand is long gone so I have to figure out a replacement.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

punken, the aftermarket stand I mentioned isn't necessarily a KTM unit. It could be any stand that will bolt to a frame tab that is welded on and has a return spring point of attachment. Anything of any quality will require a welded-on frame tab which isn't rocket science. After that you can modify a KTM or similar stand that allows the stand to rotate up high and out of the way. Here's a pic of an example of what I'm talking about. Making a clamp and spring retainer would be easy. Getting the tab and stand length down to a proper setup would require cutting and welding, but it would solve the issues that the bulbous OEM stand causes by sticking out like a sore thumb.

Trail Tech Kickstand Kit - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

Quick Reply: kickstand/frame woes