Kick starter install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Question

Any issues installing kickstarter on your 2009 KLX? I've read somewhere, most likely here, that there is an issue with kickstarter interference with foot peg. Is that true?

Not with this bike, but the sudden death of voltage rectifier/regulator on a trip in the middle of nowhere, solo, with several starts that killed the battery and five hours trek in 100 deg (with MX boots on) to find the help - after that experience, adding kickstart is high on my priority mod list.

Already started mods to be more safe when riding solo - installed Tubliss and SPOT tracker is also on my Santa's wish list.

Last edited by Sharan; 12-12-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a little bit of interference with the kickstart and my '06 footpeg. I may have to grind on it a little.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes. I can confirm that the 2009 footpeg mount will not work with a kickstarter on the 2009. You must replace it with the old version from 07. I ride hard sometimes and nailed a boulder with my right foot at about 45 mph in a desert race. No wreck but totally bent the 07 footpeg, I didn't realize that the 2009 footpeg mount had been replaced when the kicker was installed so when I bought the new 2009 footpeg mount I quickly realized that it was no good. Like a 70$ mistake on my part. Not sure if I got a refund on the part or not.

The dealer installed the kicker on mine before I bought it. They wanted to learn how and verify that it was possible.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Highbeam! I would have been bummed to go through all that and be stuck by a foot peg!
But you just made it even more expensive, doh!
Wow, I really need a rich girlfriend and soon.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hey...nothing wrong with wanting to have a kickstart backup, but I've owned 3 off road motorcycles up to now with no kickstart, and I was never stranded, left walking, or had to try to bump start my bikes. And many of you know I go out into the boondocks a lot...a whole lot...alone. Keep a good battery in the bike, keep the bike in a proper state of tune/condition, monitor the health of the charging system on your bike, and you'll be good to go.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Had no button for 2 months, waited patiently while hot-wiring my bike for the new switch.
Killed my battery yesterday by leaving the key on. So stupid. Got it bump started on the second try. Phew.
I've got my reasons.
And I've never had a starter or button issue in 100,000 miles of road riding on any of my bikes, except this one, and it has a place to put a kicker, so I am. I hope I only use it ceremoniously.
Besides, I like'em.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Hey...nothing wrong with wanting to have a kickstart backup, but I've owned 3 off road motorcycles up to now with no kickstart, and I was never stranded, left walking, or had to try to bump start my bikes. And many of you know I go out into the boondocks a lot...a whole lot...alone. Keep a good battery in the bike, keep the bike in a proper state of tune/condition, monitor the health of the charging system on your bike, and you'll be good to go.
I get your point, but if there is ever that one time you mess up and leave the key on when your in BFE at the bottom of a revine while you take a break and you run the battery dead. I could see it being cheap insurance at that time.

I have ridden motorcycles for 15 years now and always with a helmet and never needed, that doesn't mean I am never going to need it though.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
I get your point, but if there is ever that one time you mess up and leave the key on when your in BFE at the bottom of a revine while you take a break and you run the battery dead. I could see it being cheap insurance at that time.

I have ridden motorcycles for 15 years now and always with a helmet and never needed, that doesn't mean I am never going to need it though.
You've ridden for 15 years and never needed your helmet? Man!...you're good.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
You've ridden for 15 years and never needed your helmet? Man!...you're good.
Dang! Ain't that the truth. When I was a street rider, my helmet was more for keeping the noggin warm and dropping it off the handlebars as I didn't go down once. Since riding dirt, there have been many times I'm glad it was there. And if I didn't have one on when whacked by the snowmobile and slammed down on the icy road, I can only imagine the concussion I would have received.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I just installed the kick start kit today using the write up on this link. It was very informative and useful. I did have some issues with the clutch after the install, but once that was gone thru and reassembled, it runs like a champ. I am ready for some Moto-Adventure camping this summer.