Keihin 35mm FCR pumper installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Keihin 35mm FCR pumper installed

I went home over lunch and installed the FCR. Installation was pretty straightforward - it's a tigher fit than the CVK and if you get it from Four Stroke Works, it will come pre-modified with the necessary changes to fit. Those include cutting down the throttle cable hanger to clear the valve cap cover and also more significantly to replace and lengthen the output barrel to reach the engine head boot.

For most of you that will be it - just drop in and hook up the throttle pull-cable, dispense with the throttle push cable. I'm not sure how I feel about no push cable - seems a little less safe. On the up-side the red kill-switch is right there beside your thumb and your clutch is or should always be covered just in case.

For me, I had to do a little be extra work due to the IMS gas tank. To fit the tank, we routed one half of the wiring loam around the left side and the other around the right side of the tank / frame. Well, the portion on the right side goes right past where the throttle mechanism is on the carb and I could easily see it working its way into the mechanism and holding the throttle open. So I just routed both halves around the left side of the bike leaving the right side clear. There was plenty of wire available to do that. Also, I rounded the radiator overflow tubing around the left side also, so the only thing I have on the right side is the single throttle cable and the throttle mechanism is clear of any possible entanglement.

So the carb is mounted and everything looks good, I install the tank and hook up the fuel line. I let the bowl fill and twist the throttle once, then press the magic button and just as Jerry said it would, it fired right up even though it was cold. So I let it warm up a bit and took a little spin.

But now I have a new problem ...

Um, how do you keep the front end down ???? [sm=badbadbad.gif] [sm=nxsmile.gif] [sm=gears.gif]

While I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces since I only had a few minutes left before I needed to go back to work, also the ground is wet so traction is not great - even so, I have no problem bring up the front end or tearing up my yard. I really have to stop doing that - maybe my wife can plant some flowers in those roost ditches . When you touch the throttle, it GOES and I mean with AUTHORITY! I think I'm going to have to re-learn how to ride this bike - it is that different. With the FCR and the 331cc it is nothing like it was before, I can tell that already. But what I really need to do is get a couple of days of good weather and go ride the trails and jumps and other areas where I've been riding this past year so I can get a better comparison, but rest assured - this ain't your father's KLX. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif] [sm=icon_rock.gif] [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Since I didn't have much time and wanted to test it out, it is not fully adjust and I need to adjust the throttle cable - there's a good bit of play up front. Also, I want to play with the taffy mod pumper setting to fine tune that a bit. So I'm not done yet ... just a quick prelim report.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Keihin 35mm FCR pumper installed

Sweet! sounds like a great mod!

Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 PM

Brian, if you don't watch yourself, Marty's wife isn't going to be the only one with a bounty on your head. The last thing I need you doing is spending any more of my money. I am going to have to block all messages from you on this forum or I will find myself figuring out a way to convince my wife that I NEED $750 for the 331cc upgrade and lord only knows how much for the carb upgrade.

You are killing me man.[:'(] << green with envy

Congrats.

Chris

Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

But now I have a new problem ...

Um, how do you keep the front end down ???? [sm=badbadbad.gif] [sm=nxsmile.gif] [sm=gears.gif]
You have our deepest sympathies ... NOT!!! [sm=joke.gif]

Thanks from us for plowing your way through the next level of mods ... and thanks (maybe?) from your wife for plowing her a new garden!!!

Mike

Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 PM

Dang, I sure am glad my birthday is in January!

Now I can get the 331 cc kit for Christmas . . . . .

and the FCR carb for my birthday . . . . .

I'm gonna have some fun with the little beastie now!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Marty, looks like you are as good at rationalizing these things as I am.

Now it's your turn on the cams ... I'll wait for you to do that one and I'll be cheering you on!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sounds awsome nobrakes. enjoy!! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sweeet!! Sorry if I missed it, but did you do the taffy mod, or is the FCR still setup just like Jerry set it?

Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes, I did the taffy mod. That's one of the things I need to play with. Before I installed the carb, I filled the bowl fuel and pre-adjusted the collar to give about a 1 second squirt as is recommended for our bike, but that is something that I need to play with a little I think. I haven't really been able to rid it in enough conditions to tell whether the carb is dialed in w/regard to jetting and air/fule screws, but in my limited running it seems to be OK - nothing bad to report. Jerry set that part up before he shipped it to me.

Quick Reply: Keihin 35mm FCR pumper installed