Keep KLX or Trade n get KTM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Keep KLX or Trade n get KTM?

This hardest decision make for me. I do like 2006 KLX very much. I m very aggressive off-road and riding local urban area. Very impressive on low maintenance on KLX. Only thing that I hate and not happy with KLX because of under-power, hit full throttle and feel the motor work so hard to increase rpm! I live in Santa Fe, NM very high elevation that make 250 feel nothing and not much out performance. I have done free mods, open air lid, change the front spocket 14 to 13. little better but not much. I do look up this forums lot of people spend on rejetting, upgrade exhaust and get big bore kits...

Its sound too much spend on and complied to modify KLX... Wonder just simply trade to KTM EXC 450 that will be much better performance around urban n off road than KLX.

I m not sure if I should keep KLX make 118 rejetting to 120 or 124, 300 header, FMF Q4, rear spocket 47... spend on those kind things that will make more grunt out performance can do easy loft front wheel, more crisp responsive throttle to pick up power w/o big bore engine? Or Trade to KTM.

I m not type of racing or go big but do like riding hard in off roading and want have klx release the power to get out those type of situation. Jump right away want have easy throttle up lift front wheel avoid ditch down. What your suggest keep KLX or trade KTM???

Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

order the 351kit and you problems will be solved

Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 AM
1st Gear Member

chat with nobrakes, he would have a good idea having done his klx them buying a ktm

Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

if you want low maintaince (like i do), decent performance (lot better when modded), this is about as good as it gets (plated from the factory). ktms tend to be very high maintaince, and its not just oil changes either. people take this bike into the 30k mile range before rebuilding, most saying the parts look fine, try that with a ktm (im figuring atleast a top end rebuild by 20k). i dont want to knock ktm, they make KILLER bikes, they just need a lot of up keep. thats probally the one thing that kept me away (ok, i lied, it was the price, but that also figures in the price in my eyes). but if i did get a ktm, it would probally be a 690 baja with the valdez tank, the perfict go anywhere bike.

Last edited by punkenduro09; 10-18-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCKAW
What your suggest keep KLX or trade KTM???
I suggest you try really hard to find a way to try the KTM (test ride or borrow one from a fellow rider). If you are as aggressive as you say, your KLX will need quite a bit af work, and you might still end up disappointed. At altitude, I have never been impressed with my KLX. I had it in Oregon for awhile at 2000ft or less and it was an entirely different bike.

As for the trade-in part...about a year ago I asked a dealer what my 2006 was worth on trade. They didn't care about all of the mods/upgrades. They weren't impressed by the fact that it still looked brand new, had been upgraded to 300cc, had a Big Gun exhaust, pumper carb, etc. The "book" said wholesale was $1600, so that's what they offered. I kept it. It sits in the garage, depreciating daily. It still looks new, and I have too much invested to let it go. I'm going to upgrade the suspension and then send it to my son in Hawaii. They really are nice low altitude bikes.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM

try that with a ktm (im figuring atleast a top end rebuild by 20k).

I have never seen a KTM with that many miles and the shop I go to sell and service KTM see a lot of them in the shop new and old maybe that should tell you something

Old 10-18-2009, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

As much as I loved my KLX250S.....it had it's limitations off road. Now mind you, I had a heavily modded KLX(331 kit , porting, TM33, Full exhaust, KX250 front forks, Race Tech rear shock, and so much other stuff I forget.) The bike was 110% better for off road riding and could be raced in an enduro or hare scramble. I was always looking for more power....more suspension....lighter weight. I ended up selling it and getting a KTM400exc. For me it was the right decision and I couldn't be happier.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

have a look at a drz400E or klx400 (same bike), low maintenance, 40 odd hp and the most popular dirt bike here in oz

Old 10-18-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

It really hard for me to let KLX go away. I do really like very much. I have riding lot 250 cc at FL or GA. It much difference here with higher altitude in northern NM. Wasn't expect that. I have done riding the ktm exc 450 and the 690 SM here in NM. I m impressive on 450. The seat was little higher but not affect me 6'2 ft tall and like that way. I was impressive with the weight almost similar with KLX but have more power and much better performance. 690 SM too fast and heavy.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

From what I can tell very few are happy with the stock bike and although the free mods help the real noticeable diff is in the one's that cost a little. Big bore and Exh at the top of the list which will in turn necessitate rejetting.

I'd say
Get the 351 kit and an exh, rejet and if you then think its just not enough power take those mods off and trade up to KTM. You wont get much more for a modded bike so sell the big bore & exh here. You should be able to recoop a fair amount of what you paid for them, definatly more than they would add to the selling price of the bike. Not sure about a jet kit though but someone would probalby take it off your hands. Of course you would need to keep your 250 cyl and piston until you made up your mind but I dont think Bill Blue puts and experation date on the core charge(Could be wrong) I think you could do this for around $1K or so if you budget on the exh.

Cheers Jim
PWI-958

Last edited by maninthesea; 10-18-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Keep KLX or Trade n get KTM?