Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Do some forum searches for "drill enrichment jet"

Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Do some forum searches for "drill enrichment jet"
Did the search and it seems very simple. Thanks for the direction.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I have done pretty much every mod to my klx except for the big bore kit. The only mod I didnt do was to drill the cold start jet. I didnt do this for along time. I've been riding in the cold mornings the past few weeks and I finally decided to drill this jet. It helps greatly. Starts right up. I should've done it when i first did my rejet.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Certainly there is a lot of testimonial on this forum regarding drilling the starter jet out. *It's an easy modification well worth trying if you've got the carb off.

Contrary to the experience of many others on this forum however, I have not found the drilled starter jet to be a magic bullet. *My 09 KLX has always had horrendous cold starting issues regardless of how the carb has been set up. *It's frankly embarrassing both for me and for Kawasaki. The closest thing to a cure I have found is to slowly pull the choke out while cranking until a 'sweet spot' is found and the engine will begin firing. *Some days the sweet spot can be elusive!

"Grinding the KACR" may be worth trying. *I would welcome further details from anybody who has seen success with it.

I recall seeing someone adapt a fuel primer from a seadoo to their KLX which they claimed worked well for cold starting. I keep meaning to try it myself one day when I have the time.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Certainly there is a lot of testimonial on this forum regarding drilling the starter jet out. *It's an easy modification well worth trying if you've got the carb off.

Contrary to the experience of many others on this forum however, I have not found the drilled starter jet to be a magic bullet. *My 09 KLX has always had horrendous cold starting issues regardless of how the carb has been set up. *It's frankly embarrassing both for me and for Kawasaki. The closest thing to a cure I have found is to slowly pull the choke out while cranking until a 'sweet spot' is found and the engine will begin firing. *Some days the sweet spot can be elusive!

"Grinding the KACR" may be worth trying. *I would welcome further details from anybody who has seen success with it.

I recall seeing someone adapt a fuel primer from a seadoo to their KLX which they claimed worked well for cold starting. I keep meaning to try it myself one day when I have the time.
I question the size of the drill bit you used on the starter jet.
Did you mic the bit to check if it was indeed .018"?

The reason I ask is I purchased two small bit kits and a single . 018" bit and none of them were truly .018".

I ended up mic'ing several bits in the kit to get the correct size...I ended up using a bit two sizes over to get the right size.

With this done it's like a new machine and fires immediately.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

@buerkletucson: didn't mic the bits but when the .018 bit yielded little improvement I went to the .020 bit with marginal improvement in starting and much higher idle speed with the choke on.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
I question the size of the drill bit you used on the starter jet.
Did you mic the bit to check if it was indeed .018"?

The reason I ask is I purchased two small bit kits and a single . 018" bit and none of them were truly .018".

I ended up mic'ing several bits in the kit to get the correct size...I ended up using a bit two sizes over to get the right size.

With this done it's like a new machine and fires immediately.
I would say that varies from different manufacturers. Quality control etc. Sometimes just trial and error in your case. Just like some klx's run great from the factory and others have a hard time running or starting. Drillin that jet is the best thing for starting though!