The KACR on the KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
The only time you have to worry about the 'idle' gear, (not 'idler,' contrary to popular belief), is when you have a kick starter installed. After a certain year, the KLX300 ACR was re-timed to put less pressure on the idle gear, which aslo made the bike easier to kickover. This also made the bike much easier to start, so the mod was named 'EZ start.'

Kawi still uses the pre-mod KLX300 exhaust cam part number on the 2006/7 KLX250s.

I you have installed a kick starter on your KLX250s and use it often, I'd probably be worried about it. If you only use it for a back-up, no big deal. I'd still inspect the idle gear from time to time though.

The first thing the happens is the bearing starts to wear, then the gear assy cracks due to uneven pressure. Once a chunk of that gear comes loose, it could get expensive real fast.

This is correct. It is only an issue if you are using a kick start. If the S models are not using the updated cam, which I believe was mid 2002 or 2003, and you have a kick start it would be worthwhile to get the newer cam or do the ACR mod on your cam. It makes it much easier to start and puts less stress on the gear/bushing. Over on Thumpertalk, Brewster, has everything set up to reposition the ACR and does them really cheap. The cost of some good micro brew. Search ACR on Thumpertalk and I'll bet there will be enough to read all day. If you use the kicker very much, I wouldn't very often if I had electric start, check the bushing for play often or else you will pay later. Do not kick them hard and fast like many of us learned on 2 strokes. Nice easy kicks only. Those of us with non electric start 300's consider this as part of normal maintenance and a wear item. Jerry at FSW has offered an electric start kit for the 300's, from the over seas 250's before the American S model, but at a hefty price of almost $2000.00.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Tremor, the idle gear does not come with our klx ... it is part of the kickstart kit....so obviously it would not be a problem without the kickstarter because it would not exist.

Post up some links to klx 300's having this problem a lot, I think this is a bs concern....klx 300's have been around for over a decade....where are the mass failures.
http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/acr.html

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/idler-gear.html

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...43787466lpGEbV

Here's a couple quick links I found and if you search you can find more related info. It is a problem. Over the years I beleive the consensus has been the gear is not the problem but weak bushing. When Stroker was in business they made their own gear but some of those broke as well. You have to keep an eye on the bushing.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Tremor, the idle gear does not come with our klx ... it is part of the kickstart kit....so obviously it would not be a problem without the kickstarter because it would not exist.

Post up some links to klx 300's having this problem a lot, I think this is a bs concern....klx 300's have been around for over a decade....where are the mass failures.
Ok, where do I start. Yes, I know our bikes don't roll of the line with an idle gear in them. What would be the sense of that? That's why it's not a concern unless you have installed a kick starter, get it? And, yes, I haven't forgot that you have one installed one on your KLX.

As for your 'BS' comment, there is plenty of empirical data available at Thumpertalk. Look it up yourself or follow the links Argos posted..he owns a 300R by the way. Talk to a fellow named Brewster over there and ask him how many ACRs he has re-timed for people, then ask how many he has seen fail.

While you are at it, tell him and the other long time KLX300R riders that the idle gear problems are BS.

One more thing..are you naturally a knuckle head or do you practice at it?

Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

FWIW nearly a decade later...

Compression release on the electric start 250 is unnecessary. I disabled mine and the bike spins over and starts fine. With all the jetting done it starts nearly instantly, cold or hot.

I also tried starting at 8 degrees F last winter - no problem.

The new bikes to the field kind of prove the point, the WR250R and CRF250L do not use a compression release, both being electric start. Just not a necessary complexity on the electric start versions and not an absolute necessity on the kick start.

I can kick start my SR500 without using the compression release by simply slowly forcing it past TDC compression, then letting the kick arm back to the top and giving it a hefty normal big singles kick.