K&N Air Filter for 2009 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I run a K/n with out a air box and run the pre charger on it also k/n red foam that I wrap before I put the precharger on. I ride in Lots of sand and dust and they get dirty, but I can't see anything get buy them. When I put the street setup on I clean them all and just put the precharger on the K/n and have no problems.
I also argee with above those guys could run no filter for the amount of time they put on the motors.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Doesn't really matter what you run as long as you maintain it correctly. For a Twin Air/Uni, that means clean and oil when necessary.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I agree Mark, plus, you can get a precharger to go with them if you like to filter extra dust out.

09KLXowner. I wouldn't use the RC and MC point you made as rock hard evidence. Those guys run whoever pays them. They have their motors rebuilt every race and they are riding on watered down closed course circuits, putting no more than a hour or two on their motors before a rebuilt. You could almost get away with just clamping a piece of an old T-shirt over the intake at those rates.

K&N's do alright, plus like I said. Theres prechargers too to prefilter dirt before it gets there. Plus take into effect, you only need that super high filtration if your doing alot of dusty dirt riding. We use dual sports so some if not all our riding is on the road. Street bikes usually have just single layer paper filters like whats in a car.

So really it all depends on what your doing. I personally feel if your using this bike for dirt riding under REALLY dusting conditions I say toss the twin air and UNI out the window and keep buying the stocker. Have you guys seen this thing? its like an inch thick of super dense heavy foam. Nothings getting through that. The UNI's and Twin Air's pass more air as well. Espeically the UNI, that course outer layer definately does before it hits the finer foam. Yes the finer foam does a better job but its not as good as having an entire filter made form it. So I wouldn't depend on UNIs and TA's as the filter of God or anything. Like I said, all depends on what your doing. I almost bought a K&N myself and probably should have because they are garaunteed for a million miles but the price put me off, so I went with a UNI.
so RC would've run any filter in his perfect season just as long as it was donated to him? that's crap. Air filters being as cheap as they are, his team picked the best one and uesd it. Also, you've never been to an outdoor national have you? "watered down" is incorrect. also, 'closed course circuits?' where do you want them to ride, down the interstate? WTF?

you think racers just use specific brands of gear because they get a check from the manufacturer? so before Nicky Hayden took a crap on himself and got all bigheaded and couldn't ride with the top anymore, you think he would've used Z1R helmets before an Arai if the lids were free of charge?

a single piece of dirt in the carb would've spelled disaster for RC in any of those motos so they protected it as best as possible and that didn't include running a k&n filter to save $40 a weekend. you think these teams don't test the products they endorse to see if they really are the best at what they're being used for? come on, give the racers and teams more credit than that. not everything is about money. their real paycheck comes from the factory anyways. the whole k&n thing is a myth and really is just popular for guys to be different by saying they use them unlike their other riding buddies. okay until that one piece of dirt makes it's way to the firey depths.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Once again muffler king you love to throw out pro racers and there stickers on there bikes. Thank god you don't watch nascar because frosted flakes would be your next bolt on.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Once again muffler king you love to throw out pro racers and there stickers on there bikes. Thank god you don't watch nascar because frosted flakes would be your next bolt on.

ahahahahahahaha thats funny,,

Me Im goin to go with the uni..

Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I think a bit of clarification is needed here. I HAVE been to more outdoor Nationals than I can count. I've seen all the top riders over the past 20 years duking it out at Hangtown, a very dusty fast track in the Sacramento, CA area. I don't think any of the riders were running a K&N air filter. Oh, wait... come to think of it, I don't think any of them were riding a Kawasaki KLX250S either. It's all about application. My usage, and reason for thinking the K&N will be good for my bike is my riding area and usage. Mostly, I'll be commuting to work. On the weekends I'll be riding up to an area that has a lot of tight single track. Sure, it gets dusty in the summer but not as dusty as a Nationals track with 20 bikes carving around every turn. The other thing to consider is that the pros are riding bikes with horse power up the wazoo! The KLX needs every bit of help it can get and I believe the K&N gives the bike a little better breathing potential which provides better flow, which can provide a bit more hp. I've run UNI's or stock on all the dirt bikes I've owned over the years. On my new dual sport I'm going to try a K&N. If after my first ride off-road, the thing looks like it's letting in too much crud, I'll throw on the stocker or a UNI for the off road stuff and use the K&N during the week.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
so RC would've run any filter in his perfect season just as long as it was donated to him? that's crap. Air filters being as cheap as they are, his team picked the best one and uesd it. Also, you've never been to an outdoor national have you? "watered down" is incorrect. also, 'closed course circuits?' where do you want them to ride, down the interstate? WTF?

you think racers just use specific brands of gear because they get a check from the manufacturer? so before Nicky Hayden took a crap on himself and got all bigheaded and couldn't ride with the top anymore, you think he would've used Z1R helmets before an Arai if the lids were free of charge?

a single piece of dirt in the carb would've spelled disaster for RC in any of those motos so they protected it as best as possible and that didn't include running a k&n filter to save $40 a weekend. you think these teams don't test the products they endorse to see if they really are the best at what they're being used for? come on, give the racers and teams more credit than that. not everything is about money. their real paycheck comes from the factory anyways. the whole k&n thing is a myth and really is just popular for guys to be different by saying they use them unlike their other riding buddies. okay until that one piece of dirt makes it's way to the firey depths.

Actually I've been to many nationals, I use to be involved in small way with MX/SX and I use to own a business in the FMX industry. I've actually even been in Ricky's rig at Mt. Morris. Do you know what that means? ......... Absolutely nothing. Meaning, I'm not trying to say I know all this stuff hands down, for sure, without a doubt. I'm just trying to take what pieces of the puzzle I have and guess what the picture is. I'm not saying I know for sure, just an educated guess. I don't want to get all hostile and offend anyone and start an arguement, because quite franky its stupid first off, and secondly, theres no way we can prove any of this (most likely).

Fact of the matter is, who knows why they don't run them? They don't have their stuff just "donated" to them. They get paid salaries from these companies PLUS get whatever they want in product on top of that. Does that count for air filters? I don't know. Maybe these guys are running stockers. That would be the most protective choice. I don't go around asking riders what air filter they run because quite frankly I don't care. That wasn't any of my business to know... literally. Plus also take into effect that a Twin Air for example, vs a stocker on a MX bike wouldn't pass as much air as it would on our bike because alot of you may not know that MX bikes are nothing like our bikes and most four wheelers in the respect they have highly ventilated air boxes. They have no lids, large vents in the sides, and one on the bottom. So they already breathe good. Yes the aftermarkets would breathe better, but its not a huge difference. In our bikes that are already choked to begin with, any little bit hellps.

So if no one in the racing world runs K&N's there could be several reasons to it. Maybe one is they don't care as much about motorcycles and cater more to cars because they are more into them. Maybe it is because of dirty flow. But I do know that tracks are watered down because I've seen it and yes in the heat they still get dusty, but they aren't the dust storms you encounter when out riding out in the wilderness. I can't see in a few hours at the most time under small, if any dusty conditions penetration a K&N filter to the point of shutting down a motor. Espeically if it was properly oiled and had a precharger.

But what the hell do I know? ... Doesn't really matter anyway, so its not worth getting cranked over.
________
Vapir 1

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, hell guys. . . I didn't mean to get everyone all bent out of shape on this topic! The report that I referenced in my previous post actually did say that in EVERY case among the aftermarket and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer. . . YamaHondaKawaZuki) air filters tested, that the OEM filters were FAR SUPERIOR in their filtration of dust/dirt particles. I have chosen the Unifilter because I live on the dry side of the WA. Cascades and I ride on Forest Service/4-Wheel Drive/Beginner's Singletrack 95% of the time. My riding buddies (who are ALL much more experienced than I) ride in advance of me and I consume HUGE amounts of dirt. . . we get LESS than 7 inches of rain annually! My primary concern is AIR FILTRATION but I still want my little putt putt to breathe well. . . therefore my choice of the Unifilter. Sorry, but I forgot that MANY of you commute AND ride SOME dirt on your 250's! If I was riding primarily on streets. . . I probably would use the OEM OR a K&N air filter unit. These 250's are a great beginner's introduction to dirt riding. . . especially after a MAJOR gear reduction. I installed a 13T countershaft sprocket and a 51T rear chainwheel and the gear ratio is very close to what I had wanted (should have gone with the 54T Supersprox chainwheel)! Anyway. . . let's get out there and shred some tires this weekend!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

RC uses Twin-Air fyi.
kn are great for on-road use; but I'd argue they flow no more air than a Uni or Twin-Air.
Good to see people are using Uni's, that's what I had on my '06 KLX250S. I went Twin-Air this time to be different, like the Muzzy I have vs. the BG on my '06. When you compare the Uni vs. Twin-Air, the Twin-Air feels like a better built air filter. The Uni is more oem like in feeling and shape, the TA feels like a better built product. just my take on it. It's not as styrofoam feeling like the oem and Uni is.
Maybe I came across a little harsh lastnight, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey, I think I have a K&N filter and recharge kit for the KLX. I can't remember how much I paid. Sold my bike a year and half ago and I never got around to installing it so it is brand new. If anyone is interested, let me know or make an offer.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter for 2009 KLX250S