Just Picked Up My New 2009 KLX250S!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, 09. I'll cut it out tonight. Hey, I got my jet kit yesterday. I ended up sticking with the 09 kit. I called DynoJet and talked to one of the engineers who worked on the kit. He said they tried lots of different combinations of needles, jets, spring rates, slide drilling, etc, and found the the current 09 kit configuration produced the highest dyno results. That's good enough for me. So, my mods will be an DJ 09 jet kit, 2-bros exhaust, K&N air filter (thx for the part # info) and the other free mods. Not sure about the 13t cs. I'll ride it for a while first and make that call if I don't like the gearing. I like the 14t now and the bike is stock. I can only imagine it's going to get better after my first round of mods.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Man your gonna love that 2 brothers exhaust it sounds really good with no power tip but other than that mine still looks like new after 3 months of use and abuse.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

but really dude, what'd you expect that guy to say? "yeah, we got this new '09 kit available but the 300 kit is still the proven kit and I'd recommend that one?"
I'll say it again, the '09 kit is a marketing gimmick for new to the sport '09 owners. but hey, jmo.
I'll take the race only 300 kit before the dot-legal bike kit anyday. it's there in black and white on their website that the 300 kit made more horsepower on the 300 than the '09 kit did on the '09 bike. that tells me the 300 kit is more effective in making power. the bikes are essentially the same sans a 300 jug.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

What does the DJ R&D engineer gain by lying to me and persuading me to buy the '09 kit vs. the 300 kit? They make the same $65.00 either way. You seem to look at life as though it were a big conspiracy designed to rip you off. You say K&N air filters are a marketing gimmick too, now the DJ 09 kit is a marketing gimmick. Get real man. If anything, I'd expect them to want to sell off their old stock of 300 kits to maximize their profits. Don't you think that if the 300 kit provided the best results on the '09 KLX that they'd just repackage that kit and save the $$ on all the R&D? You can call DJ yourself if you'd like.

Here is the last e-mail from my conversation with DynoJet. It's the exact quote:

The jet kit for the KLX300 will not work in the 2009 KLX250S! I may work in the older models but not in the new model. Jet kit part number 2152 is the jet kit that you will need to use.

Michael Cory
Research & Development
Phone: 800-992-4993

Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I hate to say it, but you've been snookered by dj marketing. What this "engineer" failed to mention to you is that the '09 has the same exact carb in it that they've been putting in the 250/300 since the first KLX250 rolled out back in the fall of '93. Why is it that my '09 runs like a scalded ape (for a KLX) with my KLX300 jet kit? He told you the 300 kit won't work, well, wake up and smell the coffee; or I've got news for ya- he's misinformed. I've done the 300 kit in my '09 and it works wonderfully.
They're wanting to recoup their costs of the new kit and any testing involved in it, probably the new spring and what it cost to develop that and test it. But when someone tells you that the 300 kit will not work on an '09 and you believe them, that says something about what you know about the KLX and what you believe coming from manufacturers' mouths.
And fwiw, I never said the kn wouldn't work in the KLX; just that it is dangerous on dirt. And yes it is a myth that they flow all this air with no danger while increasing mpg. Don't you think that if that were true, every new car/truck/motorcycle would come with them installed from the factory? In this day and age, you gotta be vigilante and hold manufacturers accountable. Put up or shut up as I see it. The effectiveness of the 300 kit speaks for itself. But hey, if you wanna put in a less effective kit on a bike that shares the same exact carb as the 300 while that kit makes less power, be my guest.

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 09-05-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, 09KLX. First, I want to throw out an apology to you. In reading my last post I think I was a bit disrespectful in not recognizing the amount of time you've spent here and the effort you put in to helping new owners like me with their bike mods. The "conspiracy" comment was out of line.

It does seem whacky to me that the DJ guy would tell me the 300 kit won't work on the 09. There are many on this forum who can prove that to be untrue. In looking at the dyno comparisons of the two kits it's easy to see that the 300 kit horsepower delta is greater between the stock 300 and the modified 300 than it is for the 09 250. The part we don't know is how corked up was their KLX300 test bike was in stock form. If the 09 250 stock bike makes more horsepower than previous years in stock form then that delta between stock and modified will naturally be smaller too. That's why comparing the dyno chart from an older 300 and the 09 250 might be giving you a false impression that that 300 kit makes more power than on the 09 250. The bike they used for that test was a 1997 KLX300. The KLX300 was notorious for being one of the most corked up bikes ever in stock form. If the baseline horsepower on both stock bikes were equivalent and the 300 showed a higher hp gain, then I would totally agree with you (actually, I'm not disagreeing with you any more. I just don't have enough hard evidence.). Has anyone dynoed an 09 250 with a 300 DJ kit in it vs. an 09 250 with a 09 250 jet kit in it and compared the results? It would be a great comparison. I'd be willing to bet their differences would be indistinguishable by most riders.

Anyway enough of my long winded posts. And again, 09KLX sorry for the disrespectful previous post. I know you're only trying to help me with my bike based on what you have experienced. That's very cool.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

man is everyone in a bad mood today,,, lol ,, CHEER UP ALL MY KLX HOMIES ITS FRIDAY WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! So get in your cage and come to WV and Free Beer for everyone,,,, lol

Just tryin to ease the tension lol

Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

No mate, it's Saturday. LOL. Wooohooo!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I am glad that I waited to buy a pipe and carb kit for my bike, I probably won't bother till spring now. I don't know a lot about the pedigree of the klx so I would like to learn more about the 250 and 300 etc. I am interested on popping on a 330 cc jug and slug later on as well, perhaps I will do all three mods at once. I gotta say that this is a really good forum for that sort of thing with lots of knowledge readily available, and it is appreciated!!
I think that when the winter hits here I will tear my bike down and strip off all the electrical safety foof, (stuff that could easily screw you up in the bush). Try to reduce the weight as much as possible, and do the mods that I can afford, I would like to plan a four or five day trip across the island for next year and bag a few peaks at the same time. Something to get stoked on.

Anyhow thanks all for the info,

Old 09-06-2008, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
No mate, it's Saturday. LOL. Wooohooo!

Oh and its saturday on that part of the world,, WOOOHOOOOO

Quick Reply: Just Picked Up My New 2009 KLX250S!