Just installed my new WAY COOL DualStar Mirrors!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Just installed my new WAY COOL DualStar Mirrors!!

I just installed those WAY COOL [8D] DualStar Mirrors on the handlebars and took off those big branch catching frisbees.... Can't wait to try them out tomorrow in the woods of South Jersey's Pine Barrons...

I'll give you an update tomorrow night... The bike really looks way more like a dirt bike with these... I'm Stoked!!!

Old 11-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Default RE: Just installed my new WAY COOL DualStar Mirrors!!

I like the look of the DualStar Mirrors. I am just not sure how well they would work in traffic for me.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

pictures!!!!
this is one of the things on my winter shopping list.. if ya dont/cant do pictures can ya link us to them?
thanks.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsac

pictures!!!!
this is one of the things on my winter shopping list.. if ya dont/cant do pictures can ya link us to them?
thanks.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi...le_mirror4.htm

Old 11-11-2006, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I was checking those out a couple months back because I thought they looked pretty cool, and like you say ... harder for the branches to catch on.

I found out that some people had problems with the mounting bracket breaking/cracking/tearing, probably because the bend was too sharp. You might want to keep a close eye on it. Maybe sandwich the bracket in a couple thin rubber sheets and not tightening the hose clamp would help avoid problems. (Nobody complained about vibration though.) I couldn't find out anything about the rear view with them - do you look under your elbows to see behind you?

I was going to get them but couldn't find them easily available in Canada. While shopping around for a dealer that could get them, I saw a pair of BikeMaster folding mirrors hanging on his wall ... not as cool looking, but just as effective. And they take up less "handlebar real-estate", so that was contingency prize for going with my 2nd choice.

Anyways, this is all totally irrelevant. The Italian Racing Team driver in the movie Gumball Rally explains the first rule of Italian Motor Racing as his snaps off the rearview mirror and tosses it out the window:

"What's Behind Does Not Matter!"

Old 11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Scott V for posting the link!! I bought mine from there. The instructions (who reads those!?!?!) were pretty clear on not tightening the hose clamps too tight and it doesn't take much to get them on firmly so that was no problem.

I did end up placing them more on the outside of the "rise" in the bar due to where I have my barkbusters, but I feel this gives me a better view anyway.

I can’t tell you how frustrating, as a dirt bike rider (this is my first street bike) it is to have those big mirrors hanging out there and this looked like a great solution.

There was another member of this post who had the original idea, and when I saw it on his bike pics, I was like DAMN!! THAT’S WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!

I’m headed out now for a ride with them on, I'll report back tonight on visibility on road and trail.

I'll see if I can get some pics up although admittedly I'm not that familiar with how to do that.....

Dave

Old 11-11-2006, 02:54 PM

We want pictures of the mirror on your bike!

[sm=ttiwwp.gif][sm=ttiwwp.gif]

[sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 11-12-2006, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

We want pictures of the mirror on your bike!

Here's a picture from the Dual-Star site:

I'll leave the honor of posting pics of his bike to DirtSurfer!

Old 11-12-2006, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, I’m back, and had a great ride!! The temp was in the low 70’s and we were wearing just our jerseys and roost guards (Man I love El-Nino Winters!!)

Below are two pics – one from the drivers perspective which shows where I place them, and one from the front. (Sorry for the crappy resolution, these were taken with a camera phone in my garage…)

They take some getting used to..: Once I get used to where to look and how to look, I was definitely happy with their effectiveness both on the trail (Are those guys still with me??) and on the road (Is that a Mack truck??).

OBSERVATIONS - UPSIDE:

- Compact
- Protected
- Rugged
- Good view of sides just shy of directly behind me, can see cars well on single lane roads and can see other riders when not directly behind me.
- Really cool way to make the bike more of a dirt bike

OBSERVATIONS - DOWNSIDE:

- They are a bit smaller then the standard mirrors so the frame of view is of course decreased.
- I could not see directly behind me except in turns. While not a problem for cars since they are wide enough to come into view on one side or another, I could not see other bikers at times unless they were riding in the opposite tire line.
- To use the mirrors, you have to look down a bit, vs just forward and glancing as you would with standard mirrors. While looking down didn’t seem like a problem up to 50 mph, not sure how it would work at 70 mph with multiple lanes.

BOTTOM LINE: They work for my needs which are 90% dirt, 10% road, mostly back roads. I’m very happy with them and the fact that the meet the letter of the law, provide a decient view, and free up that space for more aggressive riding….

and from the front, with the VERY LOW profile….

Old 11-12-2006, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, I'm pic challenged..... i have them as pics in a word doc, not as jpegs or gifs. Any ideas how I might translate a "cut & paste" into a posted pic???

Quick Reply: Just installed my new WAY COOL DualStar Mirrors!!