Just got my first KLX250s!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking Just got my first KLX250s!

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking on this site for a long time researching KLX250s' and finally pulled the trigger on one this week. I have already gotten a ton of great information from this site and really enjoy having a resource like this.

Well a little about my 2007 Kawasaki KLX250s. I picked her up closeby from a private seller. She had 305 miles and I got her for $2400. I love her soooooo much! The dude I got her from had bought it from a friend who HAD to sell it this past spring. Since he only put 10 miles on it since spring he decided to sell it, I talked him down a couple hundred as well. The only thing the original owner had done was put on hand guards and a pilot jet.

It ran great on the spot when I checked her out, and I could tell she just wanted to be run so badly. I got her home two days later and drained and replaced the gas (added sea foam), changed the oil and oil filter, checked tire pressure, and she runs great! I, of course, am still breaking her in gently until 1000 miles and will do another oil change before then too.

I will get a skid plate, some guards, and maybe some new foot pegs, sometime soon. Do you guys have any other suggestions for me before she is 'broken in'?

I will attempt to post some pics too..........Thanks!!!

.....looks like I need to take smaller pictures, will do and post asap.

MSU_Kawi

Last edited by MSU_Kawi; 05-15-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Congratulations, MSU. IMO you bought a good year model...11" of travel. On the break-in period, have you seen the Mototune method? Many of us have used it here on our KLX and other bikes. I really think it's the way to go for a more successful break-in. Enjoy the bike. I bought mine with reasonable expectations of enjoyment compared to the many bikes I've owned. I've been pleasantly surprised, and with some decent mods, I've been somewhat amazed at times.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

MSU,

Sounds like you got a sweet deal on what is essentially a new bike.

Usually on an "older" new bike I'd be su****ious of all the rubber bits (tires, fuel lines, seals, etc) but yours is new enough that those parts should be fine. My '07 is garage kept in a brutal summertime environment and the rubber is holding up fine. Still worth a visual check though.

Lots of good folks and info here. Have fun.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Great deal! You'll love the bike..

And I hate to BREAK IT IN to you, but the bike is already broken in.
Ride it like you stole it, son!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I love this forum and read it WAY more than I post obviously but wanted to share and ask a question.

A quick update on my 2007 KLX250s purchase last fall.... I have installed various guards and protection pieces as well as changing the tires over the winter. And just a week ago I did the snorkle, air filter, header, muffler and carb jetting.
What a difference!
I had read about people on here doing the carb mods and was slightly concerned about taking the carb off and getting it back on, along with the gas tank and assorted hoses and lines. I figured the actual carb work would not be that difficult and was correct with the exception of getting a good seating of the fuel needle in the white, plastic needle keeper. It came out after about 20 miles of nice improved riding and then would not rev over 3000 rpm! Got her home and then took the carb out again (ouch) and the needle was not seated/lined up right. I ended up using the three DJ spacers that came with the kit and it seems to hold it there OK now, 110 miles since and no issue.

I love the extra power and the sound is awesome. It now starts and runs much more smooth all through the range, especially near the top end.

Anyone else have similar trouble with the needle after doing a DJ carb upgrade??

Go Green!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

When you say you got your first one, does that mean you're planning on getting more?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
When you say you got your first one, does that mean you're planning on getting more?
It's probably the last KLX he will buy.
Congrats on the bike.
Dan

Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
It's probably the last KLX he will buy.
Congrats on the bike.
Dan
Well it will probably be the only KLX for me, for a while at least.
And then I would like to upgrade this one to a 351 someday....but for now I just need to RIDE.
Too much stupid rain here this spring.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

How did I miss this thread? Sheesh I'm such a slacker. LOL welcome to the forums and the best bike ever!!!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
How did I miss this thread? Sheesh I'm such a slacker. LOL welcome to the forums and the best bike ever!!!

Thanks Deej! Slacker? I think not.

Like I said, so much great info here it really helps out a relative noob like me.

Go Green!

Quick Reply: Just got my first KLX250s!