Jump Start from another bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Besides I found that in a search while looking for another post, and didn't realize how old it was....stupid forum is still broke. I'm welcoming members that signed up 5 years ago hahahaha
Admit it, you're just that slow.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTF
We don't work "together"... you're all the way over there across the water and behind some hills.

And it's geek to you good sir.
Plus, Whiskey, I heard associating his activity there with the word "work" was kind of like that thing they call an oxymoron.

And no, deej...I'm not calling you a moron.

But seriously, how to properly jump a battery can almost turn into an oil thread. On the spark igniting battery gases, that's true...but I have a better story. A guy in my high school back in the day had a lousy beater pickup truck that he drove to school. Of course it was in such bad shape everywhere that you know the battery was also on its last legs. One time in the parking lot he needed a jump. Being safety conscious, he used the method of clamping the final connection of the negative end of the cables to a place on his cast iron engine...near the cylinder head...near the carb...which leaked a small puddle of gas on the manifold all the time. Somehow that thing lit off, and the truck basically burned to the ground before anyone could do anything. Remember...safety first.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey mr whiskey, ever ride the trails around lake fontelle?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Highbeam
I've never heard of such a thing. Why on earth not let the other engine run? If you're not careful here you will have two dead engines.

Oh, a kickstart is not terribly expensive to add. Batteries can fail as you have discovered and what if you're alone?
I would think that boosting off a car or truck while its running would be bad because most larger vehicles have a greater charging rate. Around 14.5 volts. Putting that much currant into the bike could overload the bikes circuits and damage the electrical system.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTF
Admit it, you're just that slow.
Yeah that too. LOL

Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
Hey mr whiskey, ever ride the trails around lake fontelle?
Never heard of that lake name... where is it?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ricknzep
You want the vehicle off when jump starting a motorcycle from a car/truck....your motorcycle is not designed to handle 14.5 volts through the starter circuit. i have seen it blow out every lightbulb on the bike and cause other issues. i am a service advisor at a large multiline dealer...yam.kaw.suz.hond. and have seen this cause problems many times. Not every time however....so please don't write back about how you have done it a "million" times...I don't really care...just trying to give good advice.
I don't now that it is so much the voltage, but the current. As I remember it, the amperage of a good bike systems was between 13 and 14 volts output, much like a car. But when it comes to the amperage (current flow) a car is usually putting out six times or more amperage than the motorcycle. The battery only provides the amperage called for, the charging system from the car/truck is providing way too much current for the bike electronic components.

This is why an automotive battery charger should not be used on a motorcycle battery, the charging rate, which is in amps, is too high and will damage the battery. If I remember right, Honda said to charge at no more than 10% of the amperage level of the battery.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I don't now that it is so much the voltage, but the current. As I remember it, the amperage of a good bike systems was between 13 and 14 volts output, much like a car. But when it comes to the amperage (current flow) a car is usually putting out six times or more amperage than the motorcycle. The battery only provides the amperage called for, the charging system from the car/truck is providing way too much current for the bike electronic components.

This is why an automotive battery charger should not be used on a motorcycle battery, the charging rate, which is in amps, is too high and will damage the battery. If I remember right, Honda said to charge at no more than 10% of the amperage level of the battery.
Jump, then immediately disconnect. Won't hurt it.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

The problem with jump starting from a running vehicle comes from the tansient voltage occuring when you stop cranking. This is what can damage the electronics on the vehicle used for jump starting. It can also, in extreme cases, damage the electonics on the vehicle being jump started. Nowadays electrical systems are pretty immune to this, but there were periods where it was not so, particularly on GM models.

I've witnessed a few horror stories in the past, and for safety I always stop the engine a few minutes after having made the connections, so that the receiver battery gets some significant charge. Then crank the stalled engine, once it is started, undo the connections.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Fontelle area is just outside duvall, I've heard it called a ton of names since I've lived here my whole life(and I am probably calling it the wrong area too)
the trails are off of kings lake road. Camp Hamilton is out there. Nothing is marked, we just found a road or two and bingo it opened up into logging roads and single track here and there, a awesome playground with nobody else around

Quick Reply: Jump Start from another bike?