Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Check out....Cycle Gear...If there is a place by you or on line..good stuff good prices..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

You could go to RevZilla, if you're up for a drive, pretty sure they have a storefront. They're near or in Philly, I think.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow! Again, thanks for the great suggestions!
The specific jackets that where suggested look awesome. I'm definitely going to take a closer look at those, especially since I know they've been personally "tested".
I don't live too awfully far from Revzilla, but it would definitely be a whole-day trip to drive down there and back. I'll keep that in mind if I run across a free saturday in the near future.
When I do finally decide on something, I'll make sure I post about it.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

The purchase of proper riding gear is an important and selective process that shoulnt be rushed or done without actually trying it on.
If you end up with something that doesn't fit right, or isn't suited to your specific needs, you'll be more inclined to ride without it, which of course defeats the whole purpose!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I promised that I would follow-up with the jacket that I picked out. Here goes... I ended up getting a Tourmaster Transition 2. I got a decent price for it, as that jacket has been discontinued. I like most all of the features that the jacket offers and probably would have went for the Transition 3, if I could have gotten it for the same price.
Anyway, I already had it out for a ride today. It was around 60 degrees. I took the liner out and didn't have to open any of the vents. I have to say that I'm really happy with the jacket. It's a nice feeling knowing that I have more protection than what I've been riding with (NONE!!!). Can't wait to get it out on the trails!!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jage
It's a nice feeling knowing that I have more protection
Confidence translates into speed. Comfort translates into technical correctness. That's why the selection of good gear that fits well is critical, but often overlooked as a 'mod'.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm looking into possibly getting a jacket for riding, but am overwhelmed by the choices out there. I do mostly dirtroad riding with some regular paved road riding. I don't do much offroad riding yet. So with that said, what kind of jackets do you guys wear while riding? I'm looking for protection and comfort (cool in the summer temps and durability/protection for when I inevitably god down
I'm not against paying up for quality, so all suggests and help are welcome and appreciated!!

I ride a dual sport on dirt/gravel roads and prefer an all textile 3/4 coat sometimes called an enduro coat. They're a bit longer, a bit easier wearing since the waist doesn't really ride up if it has a dual action zipper. I got a killer buy on a First Gear Kilmanjaro Air and like it quite well for spring/summer/fall. It is a mesh vented armored coat with a dual action zipper, so I can unzip it up a bit for riding comfort. They have pockets enough to carry glasses case, sidestand plate, and wallet for sure.

The mesh coats are great even on an 85 degree day IF you don't get all black. My red/black one is actually cooler than no coat when moving over about 20 mph. Only negative on mesh with liners are they can be too cool when the temp drops below about 50 degrees, even with the liner, due to the mesh design. It would probably do well if I put a fleece pull over on under it. But definitely a good summer time coat.

Leather is actually the best protection, but with the current body armor, the textiles perform almost on par.

For my opinion any coat should have:
  • removable body armor
  • water resistant or proof
  • zip in insulated liner
  • all fabric so as to be able to either hand or machine wash when dirty and no special treatment like leather will require

In addition I have a short waisted textile jacket (looks like flat track leathers in style, black with yellow stripe chest high around it). It isn't waterproof, but good in wind, I got it for the look, and at $25 I couldn't pass it up! It was a clearance at the Columbus Ohio Iron Pony store. Same place I found the Kilmanjaro - another incredible buy at $50. The Kilmajaros were missized, I wear a large, but the small fit me! So anyone looking for a large wouldn't bother and anyone small found it too big. I saw them a few times and finally noticed they looked big and tried it on. My brother and his wife ended up buying them too after they saw mine and tried it on.

If you can, try on coats wherever you can. Bike shows sometimes have good buys and if there is some big shop or discounter near you, go there and see what is on clearance along with trying on whatever you might like.

My first 3/4 length coat was an old Heine Gericke Boost, I eventually got the pants too. The Boost was the best coat I've ever had, water resistant and a Thinsulate liner made it toasty down to the 30s for longer rides (I used to commute an hour one way). It is wearing out after nearly 20 years, getting tattered on the sleeves, zipper pull breakage, and seams starting to leak. The only bad part was it was hot if over 70 degrees and bulky to bungee on the bike.

I also have an old First Gear Timbuktu true enduro jacket (no longer made) that had killer venting (arms had a zip vent from mid forearm to mid bicept). It had a 3/4 sleeve snap in liner, pocket and eyelet for a 20 oz bladder for water, and even a crotch strap for a rider when trail riding to keep the jacket from riding up since it was a short waisted jacket. Bad part was wasn't waterproof, still a great jacket. Wish I'd gone to a large instead of a medium now that I'm 20 years older.

Even if you go short waisted jacket, still consider the mesh with a liner. It will make you want to wear it on hot days. Any color but black will be far cooler, with yellow or grey being probably the coolest.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I promised that I would follow-up with the jacket that I picked out. Here goes... I ended up getting a Tourmaster Transition 2. I got a decent price for it, as that jacket has been discontinued. I like most all of the features that the jacket offers and probably would have went for the Transition 3, if I could have gotten it for the same price.
Anyway, I already had it out for a ride today. It was around 60 degrees. I took the liner out and didn't have to open any of the vents. I have to say that I'm really happy with the jacket. It's a nice feeling knowing that I have more protection than what I've been riding with (NONE!!!). Can't wait to get it out on the trails!!
I posted before reading this, but did so since the information might help others.

You bought the exact coat I was looking for when I came across the deal on the Kilmajaro Air. I wasn't looking for mesh, but rather something with a lot of vents. Still, at $49 I couldn't NOT buy it.

I really liked what I saw with the Transition though. If I still commuted I'd consider it for the serious winter use.

If you find the coat too warm, look for a mesh coat or jacket. I never thought I would like them, but it is well worth it. They can be had for around $100 quite often. They fill the gap. They work three seasons one way, s/s/f, and the Transition fills it the other way, f/w/s.

If you decide to look at boots for riding, take a look at the AlpineStar Scouts - waterproof and excellent trail protection while being able to walk in them.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I have been using a Firstgear Kathmandu jacket and I like it alot. Keeps me warm when it's cold, dry when it's wet and has enough venting to stay cool when it's hot out. it's a bit pricey but I think that sometimes it's better to cough up some dough for better gear.

Attached Thumbnails Jackets-kathmandu_jacket.jpg  

Last edited by GBAUTO; 04-15-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(GB, I've heard good things about those jackets.)

Jage, glad to hear you're better protected. Once you get into the habit of ALWAYS wearing your gear, you'll (literally) feel naked without it....makes you realize just how vulnerable you are when you don't wear it. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Jackets