I've always been a Honda man, but things might change.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Default I've always been a Honda man, but things might change.

I've been on a quest for along while trying to find something that would be both practical to get to work but also usable offroad for a long time, I've looking at bikes like the BMW 650 Dakar and Honda 650L, and Suzuki DZ's but for some reason up until tonight I've failed to look at Kawasaki. I've always been a Honda man, raised around them, so I've tried to push myself into finding the perfect Honda for my needs always questioning will it be good for me.

Anyway back to the KLX250S, this thing seems perfect, it has the style, the true off-road ability (I think), plenty of power (I've been reading it can get up to 70mph or so.) And the best of all it's CHEAP, I was even going to the extent to research converting a Honda dirt bike into road legal, not to mention most Honda dirt bikes are $5000+ without modification, the KLX is looking better and better.

What kind of mpg could one expect out of this on the road? Around town 35-45mph.

Does Kawasaki still have the problem with the plastic panels fading very soon? Not that I care really, just would be kinda weird if they still use the same method.

-Kevin

Old 09-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: I've always been a Honda man, but things might change.

i think most are getting around 53-55 mpg.... i havent really checked... its an awsome bike... a few mods that cost under 100$ and u will be amazed...

Old 09-23-2006, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Try 60 - 65 mpg, 70mph is doable, the bike is comfortable at 60mph. Had mine since Jan and no sign of fading panels, they will get knocked about long before they fade if you ride on the dirt much, good luck on your decision.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Completely stock I saw a high of 62 mpg and held in consistantly. After I became comfortable with the bike and did the mods in my signature I've seen a low of 49 mpg and average 53 mpg. I have a 15 mile commute every day and typically run 65 indicated to keep traffic from creeping up behind me. For a few days I tried to keep it around 60 and was a little easier on acceleration and went back up to 58 mpg. This bike will return fantastic mileage depending on how you ride.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Before I did my mods, at 35-45 mph, I was getting over 80 mpg. I went on a charity ride (too damn slow for my Ducati to do) and I recorded 82 MPG for an hour and a half ride! The mileage REALLY drops off as you add in some highway riding.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:05 AM

I was in St. Louis on Saturday, I just got back an hour ago. There was a huge huge huge and I mean HUGE sport bike gathering in the down town area, probably about 500 bikes, I was just going through all the pictures I took. I haven't been able to go see a KLX in the dealer yet, one thing I was wondering when I was gone is what is it like for someone 5'8-5'9" tall.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I see a lot of tennis shoes and sleeveless shirts[&:]

Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, like Deej said...

NICE SQUID COLLECTION !!!!!

I wonder if they were all heading to the "Dumbass of the Year" conference or maybe the grand opening of a 12 step program for posers.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:16 AM

at 5-07 i found the bike to a little tall for me so i had the dealer send the seat out to have 1 inch shaved off worked out well . keep in mind that the bike will settle a wee bit as it gets worn in. if i could do it over again i probally wouldend of had it done. it really is a GREAT bike , you wont be sorry

Old 09-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow - that's a lot of bikes!

Quick Reply: I've always been a Honda man, but things might change.